Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Prius Newbie Needs Help!

jeminem

Hi to everyone who is reading this, i recently purchased a Toyota Prius Hybrid 1998, and i am not happy. I live in Australia and no one seems to fix this type as it is imported from Japan. I keep getting warning signs, especially the triangle of death. This car came with user guide but it is in Japanese, i tried finding english version with no luck. Is there anyone out there who can help me PLEEEAAAAAASSSEEEEE!!

Toyota dealers in Australia should help you.!!!

This is a stab in the dark but is your 12v Battery ok?

If the main batteries are faulty that is an expensive job. Only a reputable Toyota dealer knows about the Prius. Do not take it to any other dealer. From what you have said I think it is an electrical fault.

Good luck hope you get it sorted.

Chris.

I'm guessing that being a 1998 it'll be a mark 1 NHW10 Prius that was only available in Japan and it will be very unlikely that you'll get any support from your local Toyota dealer because of this. Not out of badness but because pretty much all the support material for the vehicle is written in Japanese.

The later NHW11 model released worldwide from 2001 looks similar but that's about where the similarities end. There are support groups and forums for the NHW10 model and I'm sure a google search will bring up one of these. I do know there is a small group of NHW10 owners on the Priuschat.com forum and it's at least worth a post on there.

Good luck.

You could contact Toyota Japan for advice. I think your Aus Toyota dealer should do this for you. When we were in Australia we hired a Toyota and the Toyota dealer was very helpful.

the dealer should be able to help with this, as said they can contact Toyota Japan.

one word of caution don't do anything on the high voltage side yourself as a shock can be fatal (and usually is)

I have a funny feeling that the HV Battery might be kaput. I believe the early model Prius was not happy being sat for a while not driven and this could cause issues with the HV Battery. This situation was improved on the official UK/Aussie Prius 2001-2003.

Maybe this link could be of use?

http://www.hybrid-battery-repair.com/hybrid.html

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links