Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Water Dripping From Under Car Just After New Exhaust Installed

MukeMaN1a

Hello Members,

I've just had a new exhuast installed today (over the past 2 weeks I had to change ignition switch myself - thank you TOC btw! - and new front break pads and discs!)

However, I noticed there is water dripping from underneath the car. It's somewhere near the middle front of the car where the back of the front wheel meet the underbody and close to the exhaust cat in the middle of car.

Just would like to ask if this is a problems and what it could be?

Many Thanks

M

________

X-Reg 00-01

Avensis

1.8 VVTi

Hello Members,

I've just had a new exhuast installed today (over the past 2 weeks I had to change ignition switch myself - thank you TOC btw! - and new front break pads and discs!)

However, I noticed there is water dripping from underneath the car. It's somewhere near the middle front of the car where the back of the front wheel meet the underbody and close to the exhaust cat in the middle of car.

Many Thanks

M

it could be just the air con. if it is nothing to worry about this is normal

________

X-Reg 00-01

Avensis

1.8 VVTi

Its a hot day, have you had the air conditioning running unsure.gif

If this is the case I would suggest that it is off the air con system.... it will most likely be condensation and therefore nothing to worry about thumbsup.gif

Hello Members,

Many Thanks

M

________

X-Reg 00-01

Avensis

1.8 VVTi

Hi mate, when you get a new exhaust fitted sometimes it takes a little while for the joints to seal completely, you may have noticed especially on cold mornings that steam comes out of the exhaust system, this is produced when the air and fuel is combusted and is quite normal. Perhaps this is what is leaking from the car and should go away as soon as the the exhaust joints carbon up with use. The air con as others have said is also a possible cause and this also is normal but as you said it started after the new exhaust was fitted it may well be as I said earlier and nothing to worry about.

Regards Pete.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Hello Members,

Many Thanks

M

________

X-Reg 00-01

Avensis

1.8 VVTi

Hi mate, when you get a new exhaust fitted sometimes it takes a little while for the joints to seal completely, you may have noticed especially on cold mornings that steam comes out of the exhaust system, this is produced when the air and fuel is combusted and is quite normal. Perhaps this is what is leaking from the car and should go away as soon as the the exhaust joints carbon up with use. The air con as others have said is also a possible cause and this also is normal but as you said it started after the new exhaust was fitted it may well be as I said earlier and nothing to worry about.

Regards Pete.

Hi Pete,

Thanks for that answer. i was wondering what was going on.

Whilst checking my exhaust for any leaks after tightening the bolts, I have the same dripping from a few of areas on the exhaust. The two rear most silencers, seem to be the worst. Most of the water blows out of the tail pipe.

I found this whilst searching the forum to answer query regarding noisy exhaust. Mine has that hollow sound and is nearly as quiet on throttle as before.

Konrad

Hi mate,

to add to what I said before another thing that causes this is because when the system is new and shiny inside a lot more condsensation is formed on the walls of the tubing and silencers and then as the system carbons up over time this will reduced dramatically. :thumbsup:

Pete.

• Like 1

Quick up date.

My exhaust had a lot of water coming out of the joint between catalytic converter and the rear system. It was also blowing as I could hear it.

Unfortunately the nuts and bolts seized solid, so out came the angle grinder and power bar. These bolts are only 5 days old and made of stainless steel. Lucky a friend in Kwik-fit gave me a set for free.

After readjustment the exhaust is much better with no condensation coming coming out anywhere but the tail pipe.

I would say the exhaust be rechecked to make sure all the gaskets are sealed and exhaust secure.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Members,

Many Thanks

M

________

X-Reg 00-01

Avensis

1.8 VVTi

From my recent experience of recently changing my own exhaust, was new gaskets installed in any joints that were disturbed? The gaskets help make the seal and exhaust paste if using old with new. I did not need to use exhaust paste as I renewed the complete system from front to back.

When I found the leak from the centre joint (which is near the air-con drip pipe), I had to re-align the exhaust and make sure the mating faces came together evenly. There was a slight blow too.

Once done up, no more leaks.

That is why I advised that you take the car back and get the job done properly.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links