Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Auris 1.33

adamc260

Just looking for a few opinions here

I'm looking at possibly getting a Toyota Auris 1.33 Dual VVTi TR 5dr on an 09 plate. I love the spec and I like the look of the car. I'm 21 and not a boy racer, as long as the car can get up to 70mph and cruise along i'm more than happy. A lot of the reason I'm changing is i'm 6'4 and I currently have a 58 plate corsa that I find very very cramped! The Auris looks nice and tall and more roomy which is what I'm looking for.

A few things I wanted to check

• Do you find the car underpowered with this engine
  • What sort of real world MPG are you getting and does the stop/start help this
  • Have you suffered any MAJOR problems with yours because I've heard toyota's are fairly bullet proof!

If you could respond that'd be amazing

Hi - I've had a new 1.33 since October 2009. My daily commuter run is very short (6.5 miles each way) in heavy stop, start Birmingham traffic - for example it often takes me 40 minutes to do the 6.5 miles, sometimes an hour. Consumption on this sort of run is 34 - 37mpg. In May we had our annual holiday on the Isle Of Skye - where we have an overnight stop in Stirling both ways. Consumption as follows with fully loaded car: Birmingham to Stirling - fast motorway journey 39 mpg: Stirling to Skye - fast A roads 45 mpg; approx 500 miles travel on the Isle - 45 mpg; return journey Skye to Stirling 48 mpg; Stirling to Birmingham 45 mpg.

Car with two adults, back seats folded and loaded to window line with luggage. Speeds on motorway 60-90. Easily maintains 70 - though sometimes inclines mean a change dwon from 6th to 5th.

Most I got out of our previous 1.4 Corolla was 43mpg on the same journey.

No problems to date with car - 3900 miles now. No oil consumed.

Mooly - who will probably reply to this as well - has a better daily commute than me - so gets far better mpg.

Hi - I've had a new 1.33 since October 2009. My daily commuter run is very short (6.5 miles each way) in heavy stop, start Birmingham traffic - for example it often takes me 40 minutes to do the 6.5 miles, sometimes an hour. Consumption on this sort of run is 34 - 37mpg. In May we had our annual holiday on the Isle Of Skye - where we have an overnight stop in Stirling both ways. Consumption as follows with fully loaded car: Birmingham to Stirling - fast motorway journey 39 mpg: Stirling to Skye - fast A roads 45 mpg; approx 500 miles travel on the Isle - 45 mpg; return journey Skye to Stirling 48 mpg; Stirling to Birmingham 45 mpg.

Car with two adults, back seats folded and loaded to window line with luggage. Speeds on motorway 60-90. Easily maintains 70 - though sometimes inclines mean a change dwon from 6th to 5th.

Most I got out of our previous 1.4 Corolla was 43mpg on the same journey.

No problems to date with car - 3900 miles now. No oil consumed.

Mooly - who will probably reply to this as well - has a better daily commute than me - so gets far better mpg.

Thanks so much! You don't find the engine underpowered though and struggling to pull the car along? Fuel consumption from my 1.2 corsa is DREADFUL £10 lasts me about 60 miles... and i drive with a light foot. my daily commute is about 6 miles and I only do about 4000 miles a year I just need something more roomy! Do you find wind/road/engine noise an issue? Where do the revs tend to sit at national speeds in 6th btw?

You don't find the engine underpowered though and struggling to pull the car along? Fuel consumption from my 1.2 corsa is DREADFUL £10 lasts me about 60 miles... and i drive with a light foot. my daily commute is about 6 miles and I only do about 4000 miles a year I just need something more roomy! Do you find wind/road/engine noise an issue? Where do the revs tend to sit at national speeds in 6th btw?

Up to the time we went to Skye, the majority of journys had been urban, commuter type runs - by the time we wnet to Skye the car had just done 1800 miles. We did 1500 on holiday which included approx 600 pure motorway driving. Now the engine feels as though it is loosening up nicely. My previous Corolla 1.4 was very similar in terms of power - though the Auris is slightly bigger and heavier. Wind/road/engine noise certainly no worse than my Corolla, and I don't have an issue with any of these. Not sure what the revs were at the national speed limit (I'd guess at around 2000 to 2500)- don't think that at higher speeds (80 - 90'ish) I saw any more than 3000.

By the way, the stop-start kicks in quite often during my commute - and the restarting is done just by depressing the clutch, and it really is unobtrusive. Having air conditioning on does affect the time the stop-start operates - as does any electrical load like the heated rear window, etc.

Best thing to do is to try the car on a test drive and see how you get on with it.

With my Corolla the only warranty issue I had in three years and 18,000 miles was corrosion on the rear tailgate struts - replaced under warranty in June 2009 without quibble.

The Auris is noticeably roomier than the Corolla.

I have a bad habbit... I roll up to junctions in neutral and lights.... picked it up from my dad! Does the car sense your moving and leaves the engine running till you come to a stand still? Sorry for all the questions! :P

I have a bad habbit... I roll up to junctions in neutral and lights.... picked it up from my dad! Does the car sense your moving and leaves the engine running till you come to a stand still? Sorry for all the questions! :P

The engine will stop (and show the 'eco' light on the dashboard) when the car has been stationary for a 10-20 seconds, unless the electrical load on the system is too high (i.e air conditioning on) to allow the eco mode to kick in. So if you roll to a stop, the engine won't stop until the car becomes stationery. Similarly if one rolls forwards when the engine has stopped, that can be enough to start the engine.

With something like the air conditioning on, and the car is in eco mode, the engine will sometimes kick in because of the electrical load on the system.

You do get used to it.

Ahh right cool, I don't use A/C that much just pop the windows down unless its ROASTING! I'm looking forward to a test drive, I've only had my corsa 8 months but i'm so fed up of it already, its cramped, small, vauxhall cust serv is just beyond a joke and the car DRINKS fuel like it has an addiction to it! I'm not expecting the Auris to give AMAZING fuel economy I mean blummin eck it cant be any worse, even the co2 is lower and its a bigger, heavier car with a bigger engine I mean come off it vauxhall!

If the Auris you're looking at is from a Toyota dealer - check out their service plans as some have quite good deals. For example my service plan covers the first two services and costs something like £ 15.33 a month for 20 months - interest free. Works out at £ 306 for the two services. The oil the 1.33 uses (an 0w20) is supposedly quite expensive.

If the Auris you're looking at is from a Toyota dealer - check out their service plans as some have quite good deals. For example my service plan covers the first two services and costs something like £ 15.33 a month for 20 months - interest free. Works out at £ 306 for the two services. The oil the 1.33 uses (an 0w20) is supposedly quite expensive.

It's from my local main dealer :) I'll pop down saturday have a little nose about, see what he'd give me for my car, if it's a daft price i'll just have to keep it

I got a new 1.33 Auris in March and have to say it's great... in many ways the "nicest" car I have had. Rides well, it's quiet, the engine is very free revving and willing.

Is it under powered ? Hmmm well I had a Corolla TSport for 8 years, so I went from one extreme to the other, and it's when pulling away at low speed that I really notice it. You know, entering a roundabout, 5mph or so, second gear, foot down... and it seems to stand still for an instant, then pick up. On the move it's fine... use the gears, don't be afraid to use the full rev range if needed once in a while and it zips along. Drive carefully and the mpg is excellent.

Real world mpg... I haven't managed under 50 yet :) usually around 51, although I do longish runs... although you won't achieve that with a 6 mile run from cold each way. The stop start is good, and I notice Frosty says the ECO comes in when stationery for 15 to 20 secs... the engine on mine stops instantly as soon as the wheels stop and foot off clutch... it stays off for 25 secs or so if the air con is on then restarts, no air con and it stays off as long as needed. Restart is instant on touching clutch... you won't beat it with a fast gear selection and moving off ;)

Drove the car, it was lovely, the dealer gave me an insulting price on my car so just walked away

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links