Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Different Oils On D4D

JAT

First of all, hello to all of you.

I have been reading about all kinds of problems with diesel engines, mainly

poor mpg and poor performance. Some are affected by clogged EGR-valve, but maybe there is something

else we don´t know.

This is my third diesel Toyota in a row, and second car with 2,0 D4D 1AD-FTV engine.

In my ex-car (-08 2,0 D4D Avensis) I had problems with Egr valve causing poor performance, and finally

in 24000km (15000miles?) eml light came on. So, egr-valve had to be cleaned.

In my current car I have been using different oil, Castrol Edge 0w-30 A5/B5 and it has

done 25000km and no significant loss in power or mileage.

So, have you been testing different oils, and their effect on mileage/ EGR staying cleaner?

First of all, hello to all of you.

I have been reading about all kinds of problems with diesel engines, mainly

poor mpg and poor performance. Some are affected by clogged EGR-valve, but maybe there is something

else we don´t know.

This is my third diesel Toyota in a row, and second car with 2,0 D4D 1AD-FTV engine.

In my ex-car (-08 2,0 D4D Avensis) I had problems with Egr valve causing poor performance, and finally

in 24000km (15000miles?) eml light came on. So, egr-valve had to be cleaned.

In my current car I have been using different oil, Castrol Edge 0w-30 A5/B5 and it has

done 25000km and no significant loss in power or mileage.

So, have you been testing different oils, and their effect on mileage/ EGR staying cleaner?

Which type of oil were you using before the 0w-30?

From when i bought mine (march 08) it was fed with 10w40 which my Toyota franchise garage used without my knowledge until i asked them, since then (2009) I have insisted on using 5w-30 (as specified in our manuals) which i provide for the service, my oil of choice is Castrol Full Synth Magnetec and my car doesn't burn it and i have never needed to top up with this oil or suffered any other potentially oil related issues.

Actually I was also using same grade (0w-30) but different brand with my Avensis.

With Auris I only have tried Castrol.

If anyone is wondering, if your car has DPF-filter, you should use Acea C2,C3 oil.

I wonder, if that low saps oil would be even better on keeping egr-valve/ engine clean?

Btw. My average mpg after 8 months and 15000 miles is 46mpg.(Toyota promises 52mpg)

Best tank was 53mpg, driving 500 miles mostly at 67 Mph.

Worst was 40mpg, during winter, lots of cold starts.

It seems that the engine is still getting better, mpg figures are slightly

climbing, even with AC on.