Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Are Standing Seats A Standing Joke ?

Raistlin

_48230970_vertical_seats466x270.gif

Low-cost airline Ryanair has a plan for standing seats on its planes, but airline experts say it will never happen.

Why does the budget carrier come up with far-fetched schemes which often don't come to pass ? A standing room only ticket is, traditionally, dirt-cheap.

So it's easy to see why this idea appeals to both a no-frills carrier and its bargain-hungry customers.

Ryanair boss Michael O'Leary - fond of speculating publicly about outlandish money-saving schemes - says his airline is considering vertical seats akin to bar stools with seatbelts.

Despite talk of safety testing and tickets selling for £4 or less, aviation experts say such plans are pie in the sky.

It's not the first time the airline has floated the standing seats idea, or indeed come up with headline grabbing schemes which fail to materialise.

Charging passengers to use loos is another example, as is a so-called fat-tax - surcharging overweight flyers.

"They've only got one message, which is no frills. Ryanair is all about getting you from A to B as cheaply as possible," says Danny Rogers, editor of PR Week magazine.

So everything Mr O'Leary says emphasises the message that his airline strips its operations to the bone to keep costs down.

But with the hidden "Add ons" you don't save all that much :censor:

Still, give the Devil his due :P it is one of the very few Airlines in the World, that is expanding & showing a profit. :yahoo:

Michael O'Leary, eccentric & Genius, take a bow :thumbsup:

But with the hidden "Add ons" you don't save all that much censored.gif

Take a bow thumbsup.gif

Let me see, A Bow... That will be £ 11.99 extra please biggrin.gif

But with the hidden "Add ons" you don't save all that much censored.gif

Take a bow thumbsup.gif

Let me see, A Bow... That will be £ 11.99 extra please biggrin.gif

Have a Pee = £1.00

Take a dump = £1.50. Toilet paper measured as it is dispensed :lol:

Standing room on flights for £5

Friday, July 02, 2010

Catherine Deshayes

Ryanair is planning to run flights where passengers stand during the journey at a cost of just £5 per ticket...

Michael O'Leary, the airline's chief executive, will set out proposals today that include charging customers to use the loo.

A standing area with "vertical seats" will be introduced at the back of its fleet of 250 planes.

He said that charging customers £1 to make use of facilities would encourage travellers on one hour flights to use lavatories at the airport instead of on the aircraft.

The Irishman said he intended to introduce coin-operated loos and added: "The other change we've been looking at is taking out the last 10 rows of seats so we will have 15 rows of seats and the equivalent of 10 rows of standing area."

A Ryanair spokesman said that Boeing had been consulted over refitting the fleet with "vertical seats" which would allow passengers to be strapped in while standing up, which would cost between £4 and £8 per person.

Safety testing will be carried out next year.

However, a spokesman for the Civil Aviation Authority said the plans would struggle to meet safety requirements.

He said: "It's aviation law that people have to have a seat-belt on from take-off and landing so they would have to be in a seat. I don't know how Mr O'Leary would get around that one. During turbulence passengers also have to have a seat-belt on."

Mr O'Leary was interviewed for ITV's How to Beat the Budget Airlines which airs on Thursday night at 7.30pm.

Source: www.telegraph.co.uk

He is the Steve Jobs of the Sky... censored.gif

Airport scanners 'could give you cancer'

Friday, July 02, 2010

Catherine Deshayes

Airport body scanners emit radiation up to 20 times more powerful than previously thought, a scientist has warned...

Dr David Brenner, head of the centre for radiological research at Columbia University in New York, said Government scientists had not taken into account the concentration of the radiation on the skin. He said it raised concerns about a potentially greater risk of cancer than previously realised.

Dr Brenner, who is from Liverpool, said children and passengers with genetic mutations - around one in 20 of the population - were most at risk because they are less able to repair X-ray damage to their cells.

He added that the danger posed to individual passengers was "very low" but said more research was required to more accurately determine the risks.

He said: "If all 800 million people who use airports every year were screened with X-rays then the very small individual risk multiplied by the large number of screened people might imply a potential public health or societal risk.

"The population risk has the potential to be significant."

A spokesman for the Civil Aviation Authority said: "The device has been approved for use within the UK by the Department for Transport and has been subjected to risk assessments from the Health Protection Agency.

"Under current regulations, up to 5,000 scans per person per year can be conducted safely."

Source: www.telegraph.co.uk

Don't worry, the Civil Aviation Authority have approved it :eek::huh::wacko:

"Under current regulations, up to 5,000 scans per person per year can be conducted safely."

But they all glow and set off fire alarms as they pass :D

pass what - jobbies?

pass what - jobbies?

Big jobbies ! :sick:

That will be a further £ 1.50 please ...

Are you and the bould Michael O'Leary related, or just kindred spirits ? :hug::lol:

Are you and the bould Michael O'Leary related, or just kindred spirits ? hug.giflaugh.gif

Well I am BOLD and as for the other fellow.... Bould is a hamlet in Idbury civil parish, Oxfordshire, about 4.5 miles (7.2 km) southeast of Stow-on-the-Wold in neighbouring Gloucestershire.

Are you playing Kynan rules :D

Are you and the bould Michael O'Leary related, or just kindred spirits ? hug.giflaugh.gif

Well I am BOLD and as for the other fellow.... Bould is a hamlet in Idbury civil parish, Oxfordshire, about 4.5 miles (7.2 km) southeast of Stow-on-the-Wold in neighbouring Gloucestershire.

Are you playing Kynan rules :D

No ! Any Irishman would understand that. Colloquialism :lol:

Verbal not written, this is Kynan's rules laugh.gif

colloquialism:

An informal word or expression which is more suitable for use in "speech" than in writing

Nya na na Nya na :yahoo:

Distinction Between Colloquialism & Slang

Some linguists make a distinction between colloquialisms and slangisms (slang words). According to linguist Ghil'ad Zuckermann, "slang refers to informal (and often transient) lexical items used by a specific social group, for instance teenagers, soldiers, prisoners, or surfers. Slang is not considered the same as colloquial (speech), which is informal, relaxed speech used on occasion by any speaker; this might include contractions such as you’re, as well as colloquialisms. A colloquialism is a lexical item used in informal speech; whilst the broadest sense of the term ‘colloquialism’ might include slangism, its narrow sense does not. Slangisms are often used in colloquial speech but not all colloquialisms are slangisms. One method of distinguishing between a slangism and a colloquialism is to ask whether most native Speakers know the word (and use it); if they do, it is a colloquialism. However, the problem is that this is not a discrete, quantized system but a continuum. Although the majority of slangisms are ephemeral and often supplanted by new ones, some gain non-slang colloquial status (e.g. English silly – cf. German selig ‘blessed’, Middle High German sælde ‘bliss, luck’ and Zelda, a Jewish female first name) and even formal status (e.g. English mob)."[4]

Thank you for further proving my point, Shall I take the shovel of you now... :D

Thank you for further proving my point, Shall I take the shovel of you now... :D

Proved your point ? In your dreams ! :lol:

"One method of distinguishing between a slangism and a colloquialism is to ask whether most native Speakers know the word (and use it); if they do, it is a colloquialism."

:yahoo::yahoo::toast::toast: :lol2:

So if we asked the posters of TOC to spell BOLD, everyone with the exception of Kynan would almost certainly spell it thus... biggrin.gif

So if we asked the posters of TOC to spell BOLD, everyone with the exception of Kynan would almost certainly spell it thus... biggrin.gif

Fair comment :thumbsup: But.... I'm Irish & therefore exempt :yahoo: & before you say "But this is TOC UK, that is a sore point with me :crybaby: It should read TOC UK & Ireland. We have quite a sizeable population among the members :lol:

For further confirmation of my point about colloquialism, I would refer you to an eminent Gentleman, known to all & sundry as "Bothy" :rolleyes:

Fair comment thumbsup.gif But.... I'm Irish & therefore exempt yahoo.gif & before you say "But this is TOC UK, that is a sore point with me crybaby.gif It should read TOC UK & Ireland. We have quite a sizeable population among the members laugh.gif

For further confirmation of my point about colloquialism, I would refer you to an eminent Gentleman, known to all & sundry as "Bothy" rolleyes.gif

Err, I think that my post only says TOC, therefore encompassing all minor Province's such as Ireland and Scotland biggrin.gif

Apologies on a postcard to....

Fair comment thumbsup.gif But.... I'm Irish & therefore exempt yahoo.gif & before you say "But this is TOC UK, that is a sore point with me crybaby.gif It should read TOC UK & Ireland. We have quite a sizeable population among the members laugh.gif

For further confirmation of my point about colloquialism, I would refer you to an eminent Gentleman, known to all & sundry as "Bothy" rolleyes.gif

Err, I think that my post only says TOC, therefore encompassing all minor Provence's such as Ireland and Scotland :D

Aplogies on a postcard to....

Aplogies ??????? Even when he's not here, Kynan is infectious :sick:

After that comment, Beware & be afraid, be very afraid :fear: There are hordes of Celts massing on your Borders, complete with skirts & no knickers, ready to descend upon you & wreak vengeance :death::laughing:

Fair comment thumbsup.gif But.... I'm Irish & therefore exempt yahoo.gif & before you say "But this is TOC UK, that is a sore point with me crybaby.gif It should read TOC UK & Ireland. We have quite a sizable population among the members laugh.gif

Err, I think that my post only says TOC, therefore encompassing all minor Provence's such as Ireland and Scotland biggrin.gif

Apologies ??????? Even when he's not here, Kynan is infectious sick.gif

After that comment, Beware & be afraid, be very afraid fear.gif There are hordes of Celts massing on your Borders, complete with skirts & no knickers, ready to descend upon you & wreak vengeance death.giflaughing.gif

Form an orderly queue......... toast.gif

Fair comment thumbsup.gif But.... I'm Irish & therefore exempt yahoo.gif & before you say "But this is TOC UK, that is a sore point with me crybaby.gif It should read TOC UK & Ireland. We have quite a sizable population among the members laugh.gif

Err, I think that my post only says TOC, therefore encompassing all minor Provence's such as Ireland and Scotland biggrin.gif

Apologies ??????? Even when he's not here, Kynan is infectious sick.gif

After that comment, Beware & be afraid, be very afraid fear.gif There are hordes of Celts massing on your Borders, complete with skirts & no knickers, ready to descend upon you & wreak vengeance death.giflaughing.gif

Form an orderly queue......... toast.gif

&, knowing you <_< "Pay at the door as you enter" :angel_not: :lol2:

Is that a Jewish thing... Mod's, Hate crime present crybaby.gif