Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Uprating Shocks On A 4.2

Mark Elder

Hi all,

My 4.2 has done about 60K miles now and I'm experiencing much more wallowing around than I think I used to.

So time to look at replacing the shocks. What is the forum view on this? I don't want to change the ride height - I need to keep it where it is - but I'm wondering if the original OEM shocks can be replaced with something a bit more sporting (firmer)?

Thanks in advance for your experience on this.

Hi Mark.

If you fit good quality shocks from a reputable supplier there is nothing wrong with the standard ones. Did you see Tiff Needell on the track in this clip?

I fitted adjustable konis to one of my 4.1s

Cheers Anchorman, I'd not seen that Tiff & Vicky episode. Really good to see the Rav doing so well. And I'm sure a 4.1 would have made it up the mud slide!

I fitted adjustable konis to one of my 4.1s

Adjustable? How does that work? Height or stiffness? Did you change the springs too?

A couple of the springs on my 4.1 broke and had to be replaced over it's 138k miles in my ownership but it never wallowed around like my 4.2 is now doing. I just replaced them with off the shelf oem ones, but now I'm thinking I should do something to uprate the 4.2

hi ya

well my 4.2,d4d has just today had its 90'000 mile service,F O C ...thanks toyota ;)

and still on original shocks. :thumbsup:

i will only replace them,if it fails an m.o.t because of them

actually..giving it some thought,my rav4 still drives just like when i bought it,almost 5 years ago,and at 30'000 miles

now that cant be bad,although had to have the DMF replaced earlier in year...but cheaper than a new rav4 (and i have a spare wheel :P )

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links