Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Need Help From An Expert... N & S Gear, Eco Mode

BarryIQ

So... I am very confused.

From my research, it seems like D mode is the normal driving mode...

Eco mode make the car shift to a higher gear faster.

S mode... I dont know what is it but I cannot seems to feel any different when I drive with S gear(could be raising the upper rev limit on a gear so we can accelerate faster?)...

If thats the truth then it will be even more confusing... Why there is a need to use 3 different functions (D, S and Eco mode) to achive two types of performance(fuel saving, faster acceleration)?

Wouldnt it be easier to simplify it into just the D and S mode?

Can some expert please explain how these modes work?

See previous thread raised by me ref D S & B.

From my little experience

D is for normal driving, however if you put your foot to the floor it (sort of) shifts down a cog and acclerates hard.

S Does not change down like a normal auto but holds the revs, makes no differnce in acceleration as foot hard down in D does the same thing.

S however can be useful for slow driving to stop the gearbox trying to change up and making the car go too fast in certain speed conditions.

Often in D, dropping into S slows the car, useful for stop start driving where normally it would be throttle and brake on a downhill slope.

B is good for engine braking on steep hills. (Such as Auckland !)

I dont think there is an eco mode as such, just a dash light / dislay showing how heavy/light footed you are. If it it annoys you it can be turned off.

Rgds

Edit, Just to add you can throw the car around a bit by using S (similar to hanging onto a gear in a mannual car) Probably not too kind to the gearbox or fuel consumtion !

Edited by tonyishuk

Rcently I have done some testing by switching around S and D mode and I have realised the different between them.

Very often when I was driving 62mph on the highway and go uphill, the car will start to slow down and feel there is no insufficient torque. I found that I will gain the torque I need instantly by shifting to the S gear. It feels like shifting down a gear for the acceleration.

Same apply when I was driving at 62mph and wish to accelerate to ~70mph to overtake someone.

So I guess S gear mean it will use one lower gear at a certain speed compare to D.

However I am still not able to understand what is the eco mode for.

My IQ got a eco mode button next to the gearbox and it has an individual eco light on the dash board right next to the eco light showing if I am driving in 'eco way'. Maybe the IQ in europe does not have such a button.

Will take some pic and show it up here later.

Heres the image of the eco mode button and the eco mode light showing on the dashboard, it is not the same as the light indicate if you are driving in a economy way.

1278363923-DSC03367.jpg

1278363923-DSC03369.jpg

Well, I've certainly not got one of those! :unsure:

Mine's got the TRC button and the aux audio input down there. Must be a non-European thing..... :rolleyes:

Yep, mine was import from Japan since stupid local Toyota not selling them in New Zealand

Hi,

As said by others There is no Eco button on their europe models (well not mine !)

Re your comments about using S when slowing down losing torque, ours is a IQ3 and still in its infancy at 900 miles on the clock. So I have not tried pushing the limits in acceleration yet.

Rgds

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links