Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis D4-D T180 Egr Valve Clean

tubaman

Had my T180 now for 18 months without any problems until about 1 month ago when I started to notice a flat spot between 1600-2200rpm - not all the time but definately getting worse.

Decided to clean the EGR valve as my car has now done 43k miles and to the best of my knowledge it has never been done before.

The valve mechanism its self didnt seem too bad and was seating correctly but the manifold it sat on was horrendous ! There is basically one large hole and two smaller holes either side - both of the smaller holes were totally blocked and the large hole was about 50% of the size it should have been. The whole operation from start to finish took about an hour - you really need a powerful vacuum to suck out all of the soot that you loosen/chip away in the manifold. I also cleaned out the long pipe that attaches to the EGR valve as well as the valve itself.

I made one big mistake I made was dropping (and not finding) a 25mm X 12mm bolt that holds the pipe to the engine. Whilst I never found it (suspect its in the tray below somewhere) I had a spare that I could use.

The result ? I`ve got my power back and no flat spots - naturally I`ll be testing it over the next few days but certainly seems to have worked.

It has left me with a few questions as I naively thought that this would not happen to me as I do quite a wide variety of driving (A road, motorway,town) and also rugularly use a good diesel additive so I hoped the engine would be running cleaner.

Why is the EGR valve and manifold not cleaned as part of the regular services ? I for one will nopw be cleaning it every year without fail.

Your comments/thoughts would be appreciated.

Had my T180 now for 18 months without any problems until about 1 month ago when I started to notice a flat spot between 1600-2200rpm - not all the time but definately getting worse.

Decided to clean the EGR valve as my car has now done 43k miles and to the best of my knowledge it has never been done before.

The valve mechanism its self didnt seem too bad and was seating correctly but the manifold it sat on was horrendous ! There is basically one large hole and two smaller holes either side - both of the smaller holes were totally blocked and the large hole was about 50% of the size it should have been. The whole operation from start to finish took about an hour - you really need a powerful vacuum to suck out all of the soot that you loosen/chip away in the manifold. I also cleaned out the long pipe that attaches to the EGR valve as well as the valve itself.

I made one big mistake I made was dropping (and not finding) a 25mm X 12mm bolt that holds the pipe to the engine. Whilst I never found it (suspect its in the tray below somewhere) I had a spare that I could use.

The result ? I`ve got my power back and no flat spots - naturally I`ll be testing it over the next few days but certainly seems to have worked.

It has left me with a few questions as I naively thought that this would not happen to me as I do quite a wide variety of driving (A road, motorway,town) and also rugularly use a good diesel additive so I hoped the engine would be running cleaner.

Why is the EGR valve and manifold not cleaned as part of the regular services ? I for one will nopw be cleaning it every year without fail.

I think whats covered in this thread pretty much covers it all.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=106241

But your right does seem odd that its not covered in servicing. But then im guessing some people would complain at 30mins-1hrs labour for cleaning during a service?

Also dropped that bolt myself lol.

Luckily bent a bit of cardboard into a temp tray beneath where I was working and this caught the bolt.

Your right, they should do this at the service, as there is no way to avoid this problem with the design of the EGR valve system and what do you get for a 20K service from a main dealer, oil and filter change, not much else.

Interesting reading boys....can i do this to my petrol 1.8vvti 2001 avensis hatch sr? And how EXACTLY do i do it??? please let me/us know...thanks

I have just had the EGR valve changed at 100k mileage on my 2005 Avensis. I had a dispute with Mr Toyota as they told me that the problem was with the turbo even though I gave them a previous post on the EGR valve. Turbo changed (I paid half the bill Mt T the other half) and I still had the problem a day after collection.They eventually changed the EGR valve and problem solved.

Came to a financial agreement witjh Mt T after an heated debate.

Regards

Beresfc

Hi...can someone kindly let me know if i can clean the EGR valve on my petrol 1.8vvti 2001 avensis hatch sr? And how EXACTLY do i do it??? please let me/us know...thanks

Petrol engines dont have them to the best of my knowledge - presumably that`s why there has been no response.

Interesting reading boys....can i do this to my petrol 1.8vvti 2001 avensis hatch sr? And how EXACTLY do i do it??? please let me/us know...thanks

as already said your engine does not have a exhaust gas recycling vave ( egr ).

nor does it it have a duel mass flywheel ( dmf )

or a particulate filter, (dpf )

or a lot of expensive parts found on the modern diesel.

unless your doing a lot af annuel miliage then is it realy worth buying one.

having seen loads of complaints about diesel consumption on some models its likly your getting just as good consumtion as as some diesel owners. taking in that diesels dearer than petrol which is a rip off seeing how much cheaper it is to produce.

it was not that long ago i was paying 20p less per gallon for diesel.

as the demand for lower and lower emmissions increases, diesel ownership will hardly be worth the hassle.

i speak as having owned diesel since 1986 and they have improved a great deal since then but at what cost.

I had a egr valve replaced on my t180 at 39k give or take anyway 3k later and all seems well. I took car to dealer with heavy smoke and they de-coked the intake manifold and changed the egr valve, no smoke no flat spots all sorted. I did find it strange the egr and manifold was heavly coke'd up has a do 15k plus a year and the car gets a 200 mile or so round trip to the coast every weekend.

• 2 years later...

Well that's not mine, just the first one I found on the Internet. I have the ordinary full balck interior, but no stitches anyway. The seats look like this:

1038-261012-150626-981-PTIMG.jpg

I've also dropped one of the nuts. And it's completely lost. Tried with a long magnet. No luck. I don't want to drive it without finding this nut. Any idea where I can get a replacement.?

post-130256-0-40477900-1364489274_thumb.

petrols ( some anyway)do have egr valves but dont suffer the coking of a diesel nearly as much

rare gumming up of engine breathing

im sure ive removed and cleaned egr valves on c20let heads etc. maybey just an ecotec thing?

could be totally wrong

I gave my EGR a clean about a year ago when I purchased it 2nd hand at about 108,000 Km (T180) - made a drastic difference.

My question is at what intervals should I clean it again,if at all?

First cleaned my egr out at 30000 miles and ports were more or less completely blocked, only small holes left. Since then have done it every 10000 and its needed it.

Wow that often?

what type of driving are you doing, town or motorway?

Just cleaned my EGR valve on my T180 and it makes a considerable difference - fuel and power :driving:

I will clean it that again in 10K. It takes only 30 min

I did mine and it was filthy. Didn't notice any difference at all in mpg and performance.

I did it on my neighbours 09 avensis. Now that takes time. Have to practically take apart the whole front end!

I did mine and it was filthy. Didn't notice any difference at all in mpg and performance.

I did it on my neighbours 09 avensis. Now that takes time. Have to practically take apart the whole front end!

Before i cleaned the EGR valve my Avensis was starting at 1.1 on the rev counter and going down to 9 only after around 20 miles (if not more) but now it goes down after 1 or 2 miles

And i forgot to mention, but my EGR valve was proper clogged and i was doing a combined 37 MPG and now so far i'm doing a combined 43 MPG with a fairly busy traffic on M1 and MK traffic / roundabouts :driving::clap:

My mpg never changed at all. I'm getting it terracleaned on Thursday that'll sort it out if anything!!

Hi there have jus bought a 55 reg t3s d4d. Have exactly same problem, trying to clean the egr now. Any tips or tricks would be appreciated. Also w has any1 got a diagram or pic of a scv valve? Thanks

Type in google. Auris t180 egr clean. There's an excellent diagram of how to do it.

Top tip. Don't drop the bolt in the engine bay!!

• Like 1

Hi guys is this my egr? Avensis D4D T3s. My cars got flat spots in power over 2000 revs, engine management light also on. After reading this forum have serviced plugs, filters and oil. Havent recieved my BG244 yet. Was planning on cleaning egr. I dont know where my scv valve is or what it looks like. Any pics, links or help would be greatly appreciated, sorry am a newb. :)

post-48994-0-00974800-1365617392_thumb.j

post-48994-0-86192900-1365617415_thumb.j

That's the egr mate. It's a pig to get at on the avensis. Lots of things need undoing don't they!

Clean the manifold and air intake, disconnect negative Battery terminal and see if engine light goes off

• Like 1

Hello,

Here's a picture and info for the SCV but it's more than likely the EGr and manifold blocked as other replies say.

Click on the picture to enlarge it.

Pete.

post-74463-0-76953100-1365621263_thumb.j

• Like 1

Cheers guys. Will let u know tomorrow. The pics i posted was an old part, mines still stuck on, Havent been able to take off 1 stubborn bolt. Its getting too dark now, will try again tomorrow with some WD40. Ruined my ratchet set, my own fault for buying from Halfords. Buy cheap buy twice.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links