Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Changing Driver Passenger Side Light Bulbs

siray123

Hi, the front drivers side dipped beam bulb has gone on my 2007 Yaris Zinc D-4D.

I cant for the life of me see how its possible to replace this simply!!? :help: I had a go at removing the rubber boot but i couldn't even do that!

I had a quick search on here (didn't bring up much) and found a manual on-line that said 'Remove the front bumper' remove the front bumper!!! :censor: :crybaby:

Surely there is an easier way?

If anyone could help it would be great appreciated.

Cheers

Hello

It can be done in situ but it is awkward and your hands, left hand that is, will get scratched fumbling about in that little gap.

A pair of long nosed pliers will be useful but a lot of it is just done by feel including getting the rubber boot back on which, I hate to tell you, is harder than taking it off.

Persevere, I have done it 2 or 3 times and it gets easier, just give yourself plenty of time as there is a lot of faffing about involved.

Alan

ps It is absolutely ridiculous that you cant just undo some nuts and screws and pop out the light. It would be a five minute job then.

You can remove the top half of the airbox which helps you get in there for a look and use the pliers to put the bulb in but you have to release the bulb clamp by hand and replace the boot by hand too.

Thanks Alan :thumbsup:

Will try that, one last question...

Do I remove the rubber boot first? its just I noticed I could see the face of the connector for the bulb, and I was unsure if I remove/pull that or disconnect it somehow? or remove the rubber boot then the connector?

Just confused as to to what steps I take to remove the bulbs, I presume its...

*Rubber boot removal

*Undue U' clip

*Connector comes out with bulbs attached?

Its quite amusing TBH considering i recently adjusted my valve clearances/serviced 'my car' and installed an aftercooled supercharger on my car, yet i cant replace a simply bulb hahaha.

Cheers

Do I remove the rubber boot first? its just I noticed I could see the face of the connector for the bulb, and I was unsure if I remove/pull that or disconnect it somehow? or remove the rubber boot then the connector?

*Rubber boot removal

*Undue U' clip

Its quite amusing TBH considering i recently adjusted my valve clearances/serviced 'my car' and installed an aftercooled supercharger on my car, yet i cant replace a simply bulb hahaha.

Cheers

Hi Siray

Bulb connector first,

then boot

then bulb(undo the spring clips which secure bulb).

one you have the new bulb in it is quite a fiddle to get the boot on as you have to get the hole in the middle of the boot over the terminals on the bulb, it is fiddly and you will get scratched but it works.

*Rubber boot removal

*Undue U' clip

Cheers

Hi Siray

Bulb connector first,

then boot

then bulb (undo the spring clips which secure bulb).

I had to prise/loosen the connector off a little with a long screwdriver because it was tight and there is no room to get in and just pull it off, as you know!

Once you have the new bulb in it is quite a fiddle to get the boot on as you have to get the hole in the middle of the boot over the terminals on the bulb.

Good luck

Its just like Alan says....

Its all tight but after you've done it once, you get the idea and it becomes a lot easier.

I always get a skinned knuckle or a cut hand, but its all do-able, in 2 or 3 mins, without removing anything else.

The one extra word of warning is that the wiring connector is stronger than the wire clip holding the bulb in.

I realised that after I put a bulb back in, the bulb alignment was crap because the bulb wasn't being held in by the spring clip properly against its mouting seat - because pulling the clip off the back of the bulb had bent the mounting clip and loosened it.

Even after fastening the mounting clip back on properly, because it had been pulled and bent taking the wiring connector off, the bulb moved around losely on its mounting seat.

I had to use pilers to bend the wire clip back into shape so that it tensioned the back of the bulb properly and pressed the bulb snugly into its mounting flance.

Using a screwdriver to lever the connector off the back of the bulb probably helps this issue, but be careful not to break the back of the bulb with the screwdriver if you do that.....

The other problem with the lack of room is that you have to be extra careful not to get any grease or dirt on the bulb glass or touch it with your fingers, as you put the bulb in. If you do touch it accidentally, wipe it with meths and a microfibre cloth as any fingerprints or grease on the bulb glass causes a hot spot and it will go black and blow....

Changing the bulbs on my Yaris was easy compared to my Accord! Now that is a pain in the a**!! Still totally do-able and easy when you know how. :lol:

TopTip, when changing bulbs, i allways wear some disposable rubber gloves, that way you never get any grease on the bulbs! :thumbsup:

• 4 years later...

I have a T-Sport 2001 model (MK1) and can now change the light bulb in 2 minutes.

1. Do NOT do any of the steps in the above posts (i.e. dont disconnect the wire, use tools etc...)

2. Simply put your hand in and push forward hard, hold and turning clock wise.

Most people try and pull it out and this will not work... just push and turn.

If your hands are too big against the Battery then get the wife/partner to do it.