Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rattling Prius

wizzlon

Had my 59 plate T spirit 4 months or so now- very pleased with it. Recently a number of annoying trim rattles started up- one on the front instrument panel, another on the centre console and another on the drivers side. Booked in for investigation next week. Anyone else got rattles? :rolleyes:

Had my 59 plate T spirit 4 months or so now- very pleased with it. Recently a number of annoying trim rattles started up- one on the front instrument panel, another on the centre console and another on the drivers side. Booked in for investigation next week. Anyone else got rattles? :rolleyes:

Purchased new T Spirit in February. Dash rattle from day one. Dealer staff rectified within one day. This apparently is a well known fault in this and previous models of the Prius. The dash assembly is a loose fit in the body work. Dealer staff think that the original design for the dash used better quality plastics but no change was made to fit tolerances. I cannot understand the way in which Toyota continue to build cars without rectifying known faults. It clearly would cost less than paying out on warranty claims. I previously had a Lexus IS250 which had a bad dash rattle. This was from wiring being allowed to contact the dash. Again a known fault that went on for several years without Toyota bothering to do anything.

Ive got whats probably the same dashboard rattle - Left hand side of the instrument display?

Have put a small piece of rubber between the 2 bits of plastic. Not ideal but loathed to Have Toyota take my dash apart to fix it incase they cfreate even more.

Centre console is normally ok once opened and closed again.

Ah so it is not just me then!

Got the same dash rattle and have a piece of card between the top of dash and instrument panel, not an ideal solution, but will last until service when hopefully dealer can sort it out!

No it's not just you. I could write a book about Prius rattles. Most of mine are fixed now apart from that annoying one inside the dash but a good slap usually sorts it. The center glove box needed some foam padding to rectify but is now fine.

Love the Prius but a little let down by the poor (or maybe even very poor) fit and finish. The cars may be reliable but the trim is certainly not what I expected, though I understand after the kicking Toyota got at the beginning of the year, they'll now sort this.

... the trim is certainly not what I expected, though I understand after the kicking Toyota got at the beginning of the year, they'll now sort this.

I hope so. It's the number one issue that deters me from buying a Prius. It's totally unacceptable in a >£20K car.

Apparantly there are three factories that make the Prius, two are ok but one has a reputation for less than perfect quality control. I'll have a guess here, but I think I know which factory made my Prius!

Apparantly there are three factories that make the Prius, two are ok but one has a reputation for less than perfect quality control. I'll have a guess here, but I think I know which factory made my Prius!

I often think mine has the feel of a friday afternoon one about it.

You can tell which factory from the VIN.

I think you want digit 1 (should be J for japan) and digit 11 for the plant.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Vehicle_Identification_Numbers_%28VIN_codes%29/Toyota/VIN_Codes#Vehicle_Type

There is a thread somewhere on Prius Chat but can't find it at the moment.

Found it!

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-main-forum/66599-meaning-vin.html

When I bought my Gen 2, that was one of the things I checked, and my VIN didn't make any sense. When I searched around the web, from what I could gather in the UK the VIN number is just a VIN number, unique to that car but it doesn't convey much else. Unless anyone has a useful source of information?

I was toying with the idea of getting a Gen3 Prius in the future. From what has been said about rattles etc I may be better keeping my Gen 2. My Gen 2 has no rattles or annoying noises it is a very quiet car. I am well pleased with it.

I was toying with the idea of getting a Gen3 Prius in the future. From what has been said about rattles etc I may be better keeping my Gen 2. My Gen 2 has no rattles or annoying noises it is a very quiet car. I am well pleased with it.

The Gen III doesn't give enough extra to make it worth the change, unless you were going to anyway. I've not had much of the rattle problems, although the Gen III build quality is worse than the Gen II. I think it's probably a result of further weight saving to compensate for the larger engine.

I also wonder about the long term reliability of the electric motors with more power/less weight and batteries with higher capacity/lower weight. It may explain the initial attempt to drop the warranty period in the UK.

My previous Gen II is still in the family, and wouldn't have been replaced otherwise.

Having said that, I'm very happy with the Gen III, just a bit p****d off that I will have to pay for the extra 2 years warranty (& extended hybrid warranty before it runs out on the Gen II) - Nice one Toyota. Definite mark down on the next survey.

• 2 weeks later...

Well- the car has been into the dealer and is now rattle free. Back to that very quiet motoring I like! :thumbsup: