Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2008 Mmt Yaris D4-D Second Generation Performance

zakelwe

Hi All,

First time post on this forum after getting a 2008 version of the above. Previously I had a 2008 Aygo so I mainly posted on that part of the forum but as I have a new Yaris, due to the Aygo having a slight prang, I am posting here as my new home.

Obviously going from a 1.0 naturally aspirated Aygo 3 pot to a Yaris Diesel is a big sea change I am still getting used to, in the Aygo you had to rev the nuts off it, in the Yaris you have to row it along on the torque of course so I am re-adjusting my mind set. Initial positive thoughts about the Yaris? Far far more punchy in gear. Downsides? Where the Yaris is like sitting on a strong but dull Hoover the Aygo was a lot more interesting and fun. A to B car, Yaris all the way, B road blast Aygo trumps the more expensive Yaris.

Right, a comparison 0-60, Yaris in the blue corner, Aygo in the red

http://www.zen141854.zen.co.uk/compare.JPG

As you can see more or less matched 0-60 but the MMT Yaris has to do one more gearshift which means it loses a second. This is to be expected as the MMT gearbox is designed to be safe rather than quick ( 900ms!!) but even so it looks like the Yaris gearshift has more inbuilt safety than the Aygo, perhaps due to all that torque?

Other things of note is that off the line the Aygo stomped away due to some wheelspin, something I didn't get in the Yaris with it's heavier engine. However the Yaris strikes back with linear drive all the way through where the torqueless Aygo wavers on the trace with dips and bobbles as the road I went over was not flat, it had slight gradients and it gets very ragged towards the end where the power drops off.

In all though, much more powerful but heavy ( 1100 v 900 ) Yaris is punch for punch matched with the Aygo 0-60mph. Of course the Yaris kills the Aygo in gear. 50-70mph in 5th for the Aygo = 17s, for the Yaris 10s.And gets better fuel figures. It's more for my wife than me though ;)

More Yaris performance figures to come.

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, the Yaris has now has a Superchips conversion, you get approximately 20% more power and torque

http://www.superchips.co.uk/curves/Yaris1.4d4d.pdf

Car does feel a lot more nippy now when the boost comes in from the turbo. Using a racelogic datalogger did a 0-60 run, results below

http://www.zen141854.zen.co.uk/chipped.jpg

0-60 down from 11.3 to 10.2s, would have been sub 10 except the guys at superchips seem to have kept the original boost in 1st, perhaps to safeguard clutch and gearbox, which is pretty sensible!

I'll get some in gear times early next week.

Andy

• 5 weeks later...

Good stuff I like it, FWIW the Yaris is my girlfriends car and coming onto a dual carriageway i easily left an AYGO it defiently was trying as i could hear that 3 pot whirring away :D - still from 0-40mph they are quick, we looked at/test drove an AYGO before buying the Yaris.

I take it this is a reflash?

A lot of people go with piggyback/injector type boxes, problem with diesel chips is they just simply up the fuel pressure (not timing, nor particular values at x rpms so they basically fool the ECU) - not good for EGTs but also they report over optimistic mpg and put stress on particular parts and are very simple in their approach.

I'm not saying they are rubbish, but they are very basic and not the best solution - a re-flash etc is much better due to fine tuning of the ECU MAP tables based on TPSxMAF etc.

P.s i wouldnt get hung up the figures, i've seen a lot of cars make less than superchips etc quote but not massively off.

• 2 weeks later...

Good stuff I like it, FWIW the Yaris is my girlfriends car and coming onto a dual carriageway i easily left an AYGO it defiently was trying as i could hear that 3 pot whirring away :D - still from 0-40mph they are quick, we looked at/test drove an AYGO before buying the Yaris.

I take it this is a reflash?

A lot of people go with piggyback/injector type boxes, problem with diesel chips is they just simply up the fuel pressure (not timing, nor particular values at x rpms so they basically fool the ECU) - not good for EGTs but also they report over optimistic mpg and put stress on particular parts and are very simple in their approach.

I'm not saying they are rubbish, but they are very basic and not the best solution - a re-flash etc is much better due to fine tuning of the ECU MAP tables based on TPSxMAF etc.

P.s i wouldnt get hung up the figures, i've seen a lot of cars make less than superchips etc quote but not massively off.

Yes it is a reflash.

In gear figures now

BEFORE 3rd and 4th

3rd

30-50 4.7

50-70 6.4

30-70 11.1

4th

30-50 6.7

50-70 6.5

30-70 13.1

AFTER

3rd

30-50 4

50-70 5.1

30-70 9.1

4th

30-50 6

50-70 5.5

30-70 11.5

good gains, you can tell why it feels faster, now you can use 3rd gear up to 70mph for overtaking and get gains.

Andy

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links