Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How To Turn Off Daytime Running Lights?

piezo

I live in a country where you're supposed to have your lights on at all times. This means that when I start my car, the lights turns on automatically. Even if the switch is on "O". I can't use high beam in that position tough. But I want my lights to turn on when I turn them on. Is there any way to do this? They're obviously doing something to the cars when they get here, but what?

Please help me save light bulbs! :P

Take the bulbs out! Easy not sure what to do but you could run a second switch I guess to run the power to the lights

"I live in a country where you're supposed to have your lights on at all times".

How odd? Youre supposed to have your lights on in your country,and you want them off? Are you what we call an anarchist? lol

Thought came to mind there might be a override circuit which turns your lights on when you start the car but not sure where it could be get a wiring diagram and watch the front wires till you find a wire that should nit be there and that should be the circuit for full time lights when engine is on I think lol

Daytime Running Lights are NOT "Something they do when the car gets into the country"...

The car is actually wired in a different way! The headlamps are wired to be switched on the negative

side on "normal" card, the ones with DRL have the headlights switched on the positive side. In fact,

the dash-cluster is even wired in a different way to keep the indicators for dipped and high beam working!

There's special Running Lights Relay, but it has ELEVEN connections as far as I can see in the schematics

and it ties into the headlamps, position lights, alternator, lightswitch and fuses all at once, so wha you want

can't be done that easy. And I'd think it's illegal if running lights are mandatory in Norway...

Daytime Running Lights are NOT "Something they do when the car gets into the country"...

The car is actually wired in a different way! The headlamps are wired to be switched on the negative

side on "normal" card, the ones with DRL have the headlights switched on the positive side. In fact,

the dash-cluster is even wired in a different way to keep the indicators for dipped and high beam working!

There's special Running Lights Relay, but it has ELEVEN connections as far as I can see in the schematics

and it ties into the headlamps, position lights, alternator, lightswitch and fuses all at once, so wha you want

can't be done that easy. And I'd think it's illegal if running lights are mandatory in Norway...

That's exactly what I was worried about. And it explains why most Norwegians that import cars from Germany don't bother about getting the DRL activated on their cars.

You get a fine if the police stops you, but they never do. It's ok that DRL are mandatory in the winter, but it really should be necessary to burn out your bulbs while driving around in summer time with you dipped beam constantly on.

But thanks anyway :)

it really should be necessary to burn out your bulbs while driving around in summer time with you dipped beam constantly on.

But the lights don't run on full power on DRL do they? I dont think you will burn out your bulbs. My understanding is they only operate at about 10% brightness, or did I dream that? :g:

Kingo :thumbsup:

it really should be necessary to burn out your bulbs while driving around in summer time with you dipped beam constantly on.

But the lights don't run on full power on DRL do they? I dont think you will burn out your bulbs. My understanding is they only operate at about 10% brightness, or did I dream that? :g:

Kingo :thumbsup:

It's possible that they do that in other countries, but they go on full brightness here. I only have high and low beam, and it's the low beam being used as DRL.

I live in a country where you're supposed to have your lights on at all times. This means that when I start my car, the lights turns on automatically. Even if the switch is on "O". I can't use high beam in that position tough. But I want my lights to turn on when I turn them on. Is there any way to do this? They're obviously doing something to the cars when they get here, but what?

Please help me save light bulbs! :P

while refueling the my car the other day here in the uk, a drophead BMW pulled up on the next pump and he had

daytime running lights on it. i said i did not think the would be fitted as uk spec till next year.

he said he wanted switched them off as too many people kept flashing him,thinking he had left his headlights on,and he found it annoying.

i told him that if there was nothing in the handbook about it he would have ask his BMW dealer to do it.

but they may not as they going to be compulsary next year but if his cars is this years spec ha may get away with it.

You get a fine if the police stops you, but they never do. It's ok that DRL are mandatory in the winter, but it really

should be necessary to burn out your bulbs while driving around in summer time with you dipped beam constantly on.

So you can get fined for not having your lights on is what you're saying? And it

doesn't matter whether you turn them on manually or it happens automatically?

In that case it MIGHT be possible to remove the relay (if you

can find it) and put a couple of jumpers in it instead...

If you can turn on you lights when the car isn't running it might even be as simple as disconecting

the wire from the alternator, but I can't be sure as I haven't studied the schamatics THAT well...

So you can get fined for not having your lights on is what you're saying? And it

doesn't matter whether you turn them on manually or it happens automatically?

In that case it MIGHT be possible to remove the relay (if you

can find it) and put a couple of jumpers in it instead...

If you can turn on you lights when the car isn't running it might even be as simple as disconecting

the wire from the alternator, but I can't be sure as I haven't studied the schamatics THAT well...

Yes, if you on the road without lights, you get a 100€ fine. I think it's a Scandinavian thing, Germans do not use lights on daytime. Italiens use lights outside the city core.

The low beam goes on automatically when the car starts. I can't turn it off using the switch, so my only option is sidelights or low beam. I can turn on my lights without the engine running, both low and high beam. But as long as the engine is running the "O"-position on my light switch the lights on.

If your car is fitted as standard with DRLs, and it is the law, then not only do you risk a fine from the police, you may invalidate your insurance policy if you switch them off. Say, for example, you are driving with the DRLs switched off and you have an accident, then your insurance company may refuse to cover you as technically your car is not in compliance with legal requirements. Better to have to replace bulbs every year or two than risk your insurance cover.

DRLs are not mandatory in Ireland yet, but I still drive during the day with my dipped lights on whenever its dark or overcast, as they do make you more visible to other road users. I think DRLs are a good idea.

If your country legally requires you to have DRL's on all day (I assume that's why they are called Daytime Running Lights) then you should have DRL's on all day.

Toyota wouldn't have set them so that they ruin your lights. ;)

Ignoring a law that is in place for good reason is silly and TOC cannot be seen to encourage it. :thumbsup:

What the car needs is some led dsl bright low powered and long life

I believe that some kind of DRL will become mandatory for

all new cars within the European Union within 2 years or so...

Ignoring a law that is in place for good reason is silly and TOC cannot be seen to encourage it. thumbsup.gif

A social conscience is like a garden shed...

If you eat it,

It will stick in your throat yes.gif

Oh well, I can obviously forget about the whole thing. It's easier to get a free bulb change at the dealer than trying to sqeeze some extra hours out of them. My hands doesn't fit down there at all, so I'm not changing the bulbs :D

Oh well, I can obviously forget about the whole thing. It's easier to get a free bulb change at the dealer than trying to sqeeze some extra hours out of them. My hands doesn't fit down there at all, so I'm not changing the bulbs :D

A good decision. :yes: