Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The ‘Wheelchair-Bound’ Benefits Cheat Caught Jiving At 1940S Dance Com

Raistlin

A benefits cheat who claimed he was so crippled he needed a wheelchair was caught out when he was spotted jiving in a 1940s dance competition.

Terence Read, 61, a self-styled 'authority on all things swing', pocketed up to £30,500 in welfare handouts while stating his arthritis left him 'virtually unable to walk'.

But he came unstuck when investigators from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) filmed him taking part in a big band and rock and roll dance competition.

They secretly taped Read as he executed a string of energetic jive moves with a glamorous dance partner - including the Jitterbug, the Charleston and the Lindy Hop - while dressed flamboyantly in a 1940s style trilby hat, spats shoes, bow tie and zoot suit.

Read and his partner received cheers and applause for their performance at the Kats Korner contest in Manchester.

And judges gave glowing reviews as the pair completed a high kicking and twisting five-minute dance routine before taking a bow.

Read, of Blackley, Manchester, was today warned he could face jail after pleading guilty to failing to notify a change of circumstances and receiving an overpayment of £19,915.90.

Manchester Crown Court heard how he began claiming benefits in 1995, saying he suffered from arthritis and depression.

But he was investigated over an alleged £30,000 overpayment after the DWP were informed of his new hobby.

At an earlier hearing, magistrates were told that for a period of three years and six months, Read failed to declare his capabilities had improved.

He claimed disability living allowance with a higher rate mobility and a higher rate care component from 1995 - on the basis he was 'virtually unable to walk and frequently needed help day and night.'

But the DWP received a tip off suggesting he had exaggerated his condition and investigators carried out surveillance between March and June 2008.

He was seen walking unaided and taking part in a competition and exhibitions with the dance school he attended in Manchester.

article-1293043-0A5CDB9D000005DC-422_233x813.jpg

I say "jail the filthy little thieving censored.gif " yes.gif

Just break his knee caps then he will be truly disabled thumbsup.gif

Bring in the experts.. we have them over here :ph34r: thankfully now virtually unemployed :clap:

Can I hire one for a local job.... cool.gif

Can I hire one for a local job.... cool.gif

Sure thing.......... I know a man who knows a man :ph34r:

I always thought you were a man's man shutup.gif

I always thought you were a man's man shutup.gif

Another of my illusions shattered :crybaby: I used always think that you were infallible :hokus-pokus:

Don't repeat yourself man........

Perhaps that dancer could be a Jailhouse crock?:!Removed!:

And your point is...

Go figger :rolleyes: & if you get a headache, don't come running to me :rolleyes:

I don't get stress, I give it :

I don't get stress, I give it :

Well, you DO try ! :lol2: I have 3 different pills to reduce stress each day, so I am immune, if slightly numb :Jumpy:

Get a bong pipe :D Mellow man...

Get a bong pipe :D Mellow man...

Good thinking, that Man. :thumbsup:

I'd better hurry, though. There have been 3 attempts at burning our local Headshop out :ffs:

Something about fair trade :unsure: The Street Dealers were losing out, big time. The Head Shop even does home delivery :yahoo:

Are you sure they it was arson, maybe they just wanted to stand close to the fire to sample the product :D

Are you sure they it was arson, maybe they just wanted to stand close to the fire to sample the product :D

Guards/Police seemed a bit high when I was passing :eek:

I think the entire local force were investigating the 3rd attempt :D

Are you sure they it was arson, maybe they just wanted to stand close to the fire to sample the product biggrin.gif

I seemed a bit high when I was passing for the tenth time eek.gif

I can well imagine

thats what I like - completely unbiased fair opinion without judgemental extremist waffling - so i find that on Pigeon Flight Competitions for Beginners website.

Or maybe you haven't suffered arthritis in yer knees? Yep - yer right.... I don't dance either, nor can I wear a hat for fear of suffocating.

It's all about theft and he should pay...

Are you sure they it was arson, maybe they just wanted to stand close to the fire to sample the product biggrin.gif

Guards/Police seemed a bit high when I was passing :eek:

I think the entire local force were investigating the 3rd attempt :D

I can well imagine

:lol2:

Reread it now, Raist ! :clap: I should Never Have shown you that trick :crybaby:

There will be no peace from here on in.

Just remember that it works both ways :ph34r: ....... Pax?