Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris Mmt

jonmcmanus

I have had my Auris mmt 2years from new and was just sick of the multimode and vowed

never to get another Toyota.I took it in for my second service last week and complained

again about the jerkiness of the multimode.Any way they did a software upgrade on the

multimode and it has been a different car since. It is driving like a full automatic

I've just got a new Auris TR 6 speed MM in exchange for my Yaris 1.3 MM. The Yaris was an appalling slow jerky change, although better in Es setting if I could find the button.

The new Auris is different altogether, with smooth changes which are virtually unnoticed. A completely different car and a pleasure to drive.

I have had my MMT Auris for 2 1/2 years and cannot get used to this gearbox, it is usually in the wrong gear, snatches, sometimes revs sky high other times it labours in too high a gear, trying to accelerate from slow speeds happens at the speed of a snail etc, etc. On the last two services I have had the gearbox checked and been told - that is the way it works and if you don't think it is right complain to customer services. After contacting and then chasing customer services (they never returned any of my calls)they told me to contact my garage to get it checked. I explained again that this had been done and that was why I was now talking to them. Customer services solution then was to tell me to complain to the consumer protection people. In other words they have sold me the car and nobody is now really interested in a resolving a problem with a gearbox that has been a complete flop

I have had the same problems as you, anyname. Even though the gearbox is still slow, my garage has updated MM-T's control unit two times and it's behaving much better now. There are two different versions of it on top of the one we have on our cars from factory (my car is also 2,5 years old). In newer cars they use newer control units obviously, so no need for updates. You should tell them that you want your control unit to be updated and the car's behaviour will be better.

Here are the numbers of the different versions of control boxes:

1st edition 89530-12250

2nd edition 89530-12251

3rd edition 89530-12252

There are different AICIN numbers on different editions aswell:

1st edition 324811-11800

2nd edition 324811-11801

3rd edition 324811-11802

You can check the version of your control unit by removing your lower glovebox and looking inside the dash. You'll going to need a flashlight and some flexibility to see the sticker. It is on top of the control unit and looks like this:

8e87c04b2b5b.jpg

• 1 month later...

hi, i followed this up a while ago and was told this did not apply to my auris 1.4 diesel mmt. but yesterday when it was in for a service i complained again and they now have a new software mod. so i am getting a new ecu under warranty next week. i will let you know if any improvement!!!

• 2 months later...

Hey Tonylwt,

Any improvement - am interested in buying Auris MMT (own Corolla auto) but need to know if its any better now - or wait for next Auris (2012??)

Hey Tonylwt,

Any improvement - am interested in buying Auris MMT (own Corolla auto) but need to know if its any better now - or wait for next Auris (2012??)

Hi Test

Have you considered the Auris Hybrid? That will give you a smooth auto :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi not considered the hybrid (upfront cost reasons - am a cash buyer - £17.5K for a 1.8 VVTi Hybrid T4 5dr CVT Auto) am looking at Mazda 3 and Honda Civic autos to match against the £14 price for a new Auris 1.6 V-Matic TR 5dr MM.

Prices from drivethedeal - who are very good imho

Am tempted to pay less (£10k) and get a one year old Mazda auto or a ford focus manual from motorpoint - choices ..choices ....but would prefer another Toyota but has to make sense.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi also just out of interest what is the rev counter reading in 5th/6th and MMT at 70mph - was reading Mazda forum and dudes were saying 3500rpm at 70mph which is a bit "buzzy" for me - my corolla is @2800 which is comfortable.

thanks

Hey Tonylwt,

hi, yes ive had it for a while now and it is great much much better than before. this is now the car i thought i was buying 2 years ago. it is now more like a proper auto. gear changes are much smoother,it doesnt jump down into 1st gear at high speeds. and it moves when you press the accelerator, instead of waiting a few seconds.

hodgson toyota replaced my ecu free of charge on a 2008 mmy 1.4 diesel has improved shame about the other problems really

• 7 months later...

i checked and i seen :

324811-11800

Do i need a update?

dsc0065w.jpg

Yes you do Farika! You've got 1st edition box in there...

And what can i say with my reseller to change my box?... And change the controler or only update?

I bought this car not new. It has 28,000 km and I have only 8 months of warranty. I am very afraid that it wears quickly and break the speed box out of warranty ... Premature wear of the clutch disc ...

• 2 weeks later...

They checked if I had no error code on my box mmt with a toyota computer. There was none. Yet I still have those blocks in first gear from time to time ... Full-time and it does the second speed to 2500 - 3000 RPM unless I pass earlier in manual. Not good for fuel consumption...

They reprogramming of the box, but that's exactly the same! Maybe because I have the first computer I do not know but they said that my auris of 2008 was not affected by the recall.

I have a guarantee toyota for used car (1yr Plan ICARE). Obviously not possible to change the calculator in garantee when it shows no error code, because Toyota has no evidence of malfunction ....

What should I do to me they are finally a computer fixed? What can i say to toyota?

I'm afraid that my computer break my clutch disc. My auris has only 30,000 km, of which only 3000 made ​​by me. I'm afraid to not go away with and that the warranty ends, and having to buy at my own expense a new box.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE: I wish to confirm it is possible to dramatically improve the operation of older Multimode Transmissions, such as what came in my 2007 Auris!

I bought mine used just a few months ago with only 15,000 miles on it. My initial test drive was in totally flat terrain and was not totally revealing. However after returning with it to the Isle of Wight with its cliffs and hilly terrain, the true nature of the MMT began to reveal itself. Like many others reported, I suffered horribly with hesitant shifting, lurching, getting stuck in lower gears, etc. etc. etc. Driving in many places here on the Island was a nightmare.

I was beginning to really hate this car, but then came across the comments by Speed_Chaser.

I went to my local Toyota garage to check this all out. According to my local Toyota garage, the part numbers in the above mentioned post are apparently for left-drive cars, not right-drive. Nonetheless at my insistence, they did see if any updates were available. The parts manager really didn't seem to know about "updates", but after tracking down what was in my car, his Toyota parts computer confirmed there was indeed a newer version of the transmission controller available for my vehicle.

Despite what I read in this post, the parts manager was very reluctant and did not encourage me to order a new controller. I don't think he really knew anything about it and was afraid it might not improve the transmission's operation as I was hoping. Nonetheless, I was so unhappy with the current situation I took the risk, and paid approximately £600 to get one ordered and subsequently installed.

The result? AWESOME! I won't say it mimics a "real" automatic in totality, but it's 95 percent there. In fact, in many previously difficult spots around the Island, its operation is essentially as good as a real automatic. In fact, when you put it into drive or reverse, it even "creeps" from a standstill just like a real automatic. The car is now far, far more pleasant to drive. Shifts are much smoother and handled with much more intelligence.

This experience also helps explain why some people have been happier with their MMT's than others. Apparently, each subsequent year Toyota has been making improvements in the transmission computer. As a result, each year would see fewer people complaining. A few weeks ago, I drove a brand new Yaris with an MMT and was utterly astonished how well it worked. If I hadn't known, I would have sworn it was a conventional automatic. My "newly improved" Auris isn't quite as good as that was, but really close. In any case, it's now good enough I can happily live with it.

• 2 months later...

I saw this and thought great, perhaps an answer to the naff gb.

I just checked and the part number is 324811-11810, is that v10 or rhd v0? This part was replaced last year as part of the modification to stop the GB affecting the radio.

I see mentions of 5th and 6th gear hear, is that later/bigger cars, this 07 1.6 MMT has only 4 - it desperatley needs a 5.

And for the person trying to use the paddle shift, forget it, some clown fixed them to the wheel not the steering column. On an F1 car where full lock is about a quarter turn wheel mounted is fine, for something with about 3 turns it is just too complicated trying to work out which way up the wheel is when you want to use it.

:eek:

I saw this and thought great, perhaps an answer to the naff gb.

I just checked and the part number is 324811-11810, is that v10 or rhd v0? This part was replaced last year as part of the modification to stop the GB affecting the radio.

I see mentions of 5th and 6th gear hear, is that later/bigger cars, this 07 1.6 MMT has only 4 - it desperatley needs a 5.

And for the person trying to use the paddle shift, forget it, some clown fixed them to the wheel not the steering column. On an F1 car where full lock is about a quarter turn wheel mounted is fine, for something with about 3 turns it is just too complicated trying to work out which way up the wheel is when you want to use it.

I am curious now as to whether my 2007 is a 5 speed box or 4.. hmmm mine is TR.. where would it say ? Sorry I feel like such a numpty asking these questions.. blonde.. female.. yep all that!! lol

I note though that you said about the paddles being on the wheel .. I said same to my son yesterday when he was giving me some lessons on how to use the car in manual (not that I want to, I thought I was buying an automatic!!) .. but he said use them on the stick then when you are negotiating a roundabout or something .. but for me that freaks me out a bit as I am afraid I may forget again and rebound to old ways of changing gear and go looking for 1st where reverse is from my 35 years of driving nothing but a manual! I wish I had seen all this before as would have known what was out there and what to avoid. I do envy those of you who love your MMT's! Really! :eek:

Basically I don't know about you but I am not happy with the MMT aspect at all.. I wish the re-initialisation had worked yesterday I really do .. but it has not lasted! :crybaby:

When I take the auris out, I use E, but supplement it with the wheel paddles, you can tell it when you want to change up or down to avoid headjerking when it changes up, and to be in the right gear when you go thru corners. Honest I am not a boy racer - but I was!!!

We are lucky we live in a flat area.

Chris

If it's like the Yaris there will be an indicator on the instrument display, showing which gear you are in, manual "M" mode only. If so then select M mode and change gear manually using either the stick or paddles (if fitted) until it'll not change any higher.That'll solve the number of forward gears question.

You can over-ride the computer in E mode using the paddles too (if fitted). Sometimes useful on roundabouts or junctions when it will not change up from 1st to 2nd!I experimented once with my Yaris Diesel when in E it wouldn't change up from 1st to 2nd. It got to 5000 rev/min and still hadn't changed gear, I did it myself before reaching the rev limiter - perfectly normal according to the dealer!? :censor:

If it's like the Yaris there will be an indicator on the instrument display, showing which gear you are in, manual "M" mode only. If so then select M mode and change gear manually using either the stick or paddles (if fitted) until it'll not change any higher.

You can over-ride the computer in E mode using the paddles too (if fitted). Sometimes useful on roundabouts or junctions when it will not change up from 1st to 2nd!I experimented once with my Yaris Diesel when in E it wouldn't change up from 1st to 2nd. It got to 5000 rev/min and still hadn't changed gear, I did it myself before reaching the rev limiter - perfectly normal according to the dealer!?

Thanks for the advice.. just not what I thought was purchasing you see.. so I did not really want to be changing 'gears' myself.. I am sure it is all too much to remember now!! My brain is not what it was for remembering sequences.. I just wanted a nice easy automatic!! I was told that this was the car for me! I will persevere for another few days and see how I get on with it as don't like to give in to things like this .. however .. and I do want to learn to love this car! This is my first dislike in cars owned by me since I bought my first brand spanking new Datsun Sunny in 1976!

There are posts on here from the MMT fans who say all you have to do is "learn" how to drive it. No, you shouldn't have to learn anything. A "proper" automatic doesn't need to be learned, shove it in "D" and away you go, only maybe to forget your left foot. A CVT automatic similarly.

All that needs learning in a manual car is where all the different controls are and possibly where the clutch bite is.

The MMT is Toyota bowing to the eco warriors in a failed attempt to reduce the emissions (possibly not a bad thing) compared to a "proper" auto. It's good to see they're gradually ditching it.

To be honest the MMT system is "thick" and needs help sometimes in E. :yes: Driving in M, as I did most of the time, defeats the object somewhat. :rolleyes:

Good luck, I think I know how you feel, I made the same expensive mistake in buying a Toyota. :angry:

There are posts on here from the MMT fans who say all you have to do is "learn" how to drive it. No, you shouldn't have to learn anything. A "proper" automatic doesn't need to be learned, shove it in "D" and away you go, only maybe to forget your left foot. A CVT automatic similarly.

All that needs learning in a manual car is where all the different controls are and possibly where the clutch bite is.

The MMT is Toyota bowing to the eco warriors in a failed attempt to reduce the emissions (possibly not a bad thing) compared to a "proper" auto. It's good to see they're gradually ditching it.

To be honest the MMT system is "thick" and needs help sometimes in E. :yes: Driving in M, as I did most of the time, defeats the object somewhat. :rolleyes:

Good luck, I think I know how you feel, I made the same expensive mistake in buying a Toyota. :angry:

Hi there.. thank you so much for your empathy and commiserations! I am so weary of it all.. and I really don't like the feeling of it.. and don't want to learn to drive it in manual.. why bother to buy an automatic? I could have saved myself a fair bit of my savings if I had stuck to a manual!

Anyway I will drive it today to my daughter's and see if it behaves any better than it did yesterday and then ring the dealers again on Monday and tell them its 'un-set' itself again! I think my long courtship with Toyota has come to an end after being a very happy Toyota fan for the last 12 years! I have always bought Japanese cars.. not sure what the alternatives are out there though in full automatics.. and at the £7k mark! I had a quick look last night and gather as well from posts here and as you too have mentioned Honda offers the CVT but I have read conflicting reports on that.

I know you are not ever going to please everybody all the time but this car really is pushing my buttons! I truly used to love driving and now I dread it! My daughter is worried about me being in it and my mother has kittens everytime I mention it.. so I have stopped talking about it.. my friends can't believe I have ended up with a dud car when they all know how important it is for me to be mobile etc and how the finances are these days... I have invited them all to take it for a spin so that they can see what I am losing the plot over!! So far there are no takers! :wacko: I wonder why?! :rolleyes:

What is it you are driving now out of interest?

I hope my dealership do not think I am making a mountain out of a molehill on this car but if they are reading this then please hear me!! I am not exaggerating how horrible this MMT is .. I am not a happy bunny! Normally a positive thinking individual who does not take herself or life too seriously .. this car has me beat at the moment.. there is still some fire left in my soul though and I won't rest until I sort this out one way or the other.. that may mean the car goes back and I ask for a refund under the Sale of Goods Act. I don't want it to come to that at all.. I really don't.. it's a lot more hassle for both parties but will cause greatest inconvenience to me! I will have to start looking for another car whilst not having one and living in the country means no car.. no go far!! ;)

Not to mention all the DVLA hassle again....ugh!

Have a good one and a wonderful weekend!! I intend to even with my demonic car on the drive! I am a therapist by the way so I know all this negative thinking is no good for me!! Hence I am working at keeping my sense of humour about all this! You have to laugh about it .....seriously if I didn't I would cry.. and have been close to that alrady! :crybaby:

Working on the positive notes.. if I get this sorted out and my car and I finally fall in love ..I will be back on here demonstrating that.. I don't want everyone to think I am a moaning Minnie and I do always give credit where it is due! So come on Toyota sort this out for me once and for all and let's move on with our lives!! My affirmation for the day! :yahoo: