Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris Mmt

jonmcmanus

...Sometimes useful on roundabouts or junctions when it will not change up from 1st to 2nd!...

We had that one too, but I have not seen it again since we had the control unit changed for the "gearbox inteferes with the radio" mod, and no I am not making it up!

All this had a direct effect, when my car came up for replacement the Avensis did not even make the list, I got a Passat, the DSG is similar to MMT but when it works it is really smooth, of cause the "when it works" is the draw back :)

Chris

...Sometimes useful on roundabouts or junctions when it will not change up from 1st to 2nd!...

We had that one too, but I have not seen it again since we had the control unit changed for the "gearbox inteferes with the radio" mod, and no I am not making it up!

All this had a direct effect, when my car came up for replacement the Avensis did not even make the list, I got a Passat, the DSG is similar to MMT but when it works it is really smooth, of cause the "when it works" is the draw back :)

Chris

End of another traumatic driving experience.. thank god I got home in one piece and with my sanity intact.. but only just! Started off pretty well.. thought okay may be able to work with this afterall.. perhaps yesterday was a momentary blip after it being re-initialised.. so gave it benefit of the doubt.. (like I should even be considering giving a car benefit of doubt???) and then suddenly and I mean suddenly.. without warning.. driving along building up speed .. doing a comfortable 45 in a 60 but wanting to take it slowly so as not to shock it into thinking I may want a bit more oomph from it (ha ha) and then I felt it shift down a gear (presumably from 4th to 3rd?) and then it just stuck there and would not budge and I could not get the speed up at all.. it felt heavy and bogged down!

Then I took foot off throttle (as I have been told by workshop manager at dealers) and had to do this about 3 times before it 'allowed' me to take it up through to 4 again .. is this right that this car has no 5th gear as I read in someone's post yesterday? Auris 1.6 TR..

All went reasonably well from then on for rest of my journey except for the horrible bumping and bouncing around on uneven country roads.. felt quite car sick by time I got to my destination and a bit off colour! Then when I was leaving a car park on a slight hill a few hours later, it really played up something chronic. Stopped.. handbrake on as continous stream of traffic on a busy road where I was wanting to turn right and then handbrake off when I saw a break in traffic and proceeded to manouvre out .....WRONG!! The car had other ideas.. it absolutely bogged down and I wished I had pulled out in M but there we go I had not .. I am not comfortable with doing that anyway to be honest.. only just still getting used to driving it as had it 2 weeks.. and being a creature of habit these days, don't take kindly to having to make too many new changes in my driving. Before I knew it, I had someone right up my rear end flashing his lights at me.. eventually the car shifted out of 1st and seemed to go into 2nd and 3rd and then straight back to 2nd again and then 1st whilst I was trying to get my butt out of the guy's way!

All the way home it was sluggish from stopping.. not so bad when just slowing down but def does not like being stopped and then starting up again. I avoided all roundabouts by going home a different but longer way...I will have to call dealers again tomorrow.... I feel very fed up to be honest and am contemplating being carless at one of the busiest times of year.. like I need to be without a car right now with xmas shopping to do, food shopping and granddaughter's xmas play ...ho hum.. :rolleyes:

One other thing it did again today which it did last night was I was going uphill albeit very slowly as in rush hour traffic and I had my foot on the brake but as I released it and went to put it back on accelerator to move forward .. the car moved without me accelerating.. luckily there was a biggish gap between me and the car in front .. otherwise would have rear ended it! Up hill??? Can they or should it do that? I thought if anything it would have rolled back? hmmm curiouser and curiouser said Alice...... :eek:

If you have recently bought this, within the last 6 months for sure, longer if it is reasonable, then look to the sale of goods act. If it has a problem they have to fix it - that is it - no gibberish about waranty terms etc,.

Last car I bought had no warranty, the dealer spent about a month ferrying it and a loan car back and forth while they sorted out, by co-incidence, the GB.

• 1 month later...

Latest updates on my car!

Car has been in twice more for 2 days 1st time and 1.5 days this week. First day back in early Dec was for re-initialisation of the clutch. Day 2 and 3 for a new clutch.. a fault was found. Yesterday afternoon and today for replacement of the actuator despite no fault being found.

Fingers crossed this time because a few days ago it was stuck in 1st twice on the way home and I could not get it out of that by any other means except turning off the engine and restarting only for it to go again a few mins later.

The dealership are working with me on this and seem to really undersand my gripes with this car. I am though at my wits end with it and a very unhappy owner. This is my 3rd purchase with Toyota cars and will be my last. I can't afford to purchase a CVT which is a distinct improvement on the MMT - drove one for a few days as my courtesy car.

Wish me luck.. picking the car up tomorrow!

Good luck! Hopefully things are improved by whatever they have done.

If the Toyota CVT is similar to that Honda use, then it is very good. Makes the MMT pale into amateurism. I drove a CVT Jazz for a while and was sorry to see it go.

As you say it becomes too expensive to go changing cars primarily for reasons of poor quality mechanicals. I made a very expensive mistake buying a new MMT Yaris, in October 2010, which was my first and also last Toyota.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I have my mmt(5 speed) 1.4 d4d Auris (2007) for 11 month and really fed up with jerky gearbox until i read this topic so took my car to toyota and ask to replace the gearbox controller luckily 3weeks left of extended warranty and they did and it become by miles better that it was, BUT its not as good as some people claiming here, here is picture of the controller the installed can anybody say if its right one or there is upgraded version:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yasharsamadi/6811281309/

• 2 years later...

Hello to everyone.

I have toyota auris 1.4 d4d ( 2008) and would like to know where can to update MMT Transmission computer. I'm live in London.

Thanks a lot!!!

post-140251-0-03348400-1398606599_thumb.

Your Toyota dealer should be able to identify whether the transmission needs any updates.

Tomorrow I will go to some Toyota garage .

Thank you.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links