Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris Warning Bleeps

supermart

I've got a new Auris TR 1.6MM which seems to bleep at every opportunity. Its very annoying and symptomatic of a nannying mentalitity by the manufacturer.

If drive at more the 5mph without a seatbelt on what do I get? BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP getting more and more hysterical. If I want to drive without the sealtbelt on thats my choice and I don't expect to be nagged by a machine. Eventually I undid the white plugs beneath the seats which was fiddly but achieved the necessary result.

Open the boot lid BLEEEEEP for about 10 seconds why? I know I've opened the boot, I don't need to be reminded and there is an indicator on the instruments which is quite enough to show me if its not completely shut.

Open a door with the engine running and BLEEEEEEEEP. I know I've got the door open, I can feel the draught and ditto about the instruments.

Go into reverse gear and BLEEEEP. I know I'm in reverse, I want to go backwards, and its not a gear lever move I can make inadvertantly.

Anyone know how to turn the BLEEEPING bleeps off whicle keeping the instrument display on?

I've got a new Auris TR 1.6MM which seems to bleep at every opportunity. Its very annoying and symptomatic of a nannying mentalitity by the manufacturer.

If drive at more the 5mph without a seatbelt on what do I get? BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP getting more and more hysterical. If I want to drive without the sealtbelt on thats my choice and I don't expect to be nagged by a machine. Eventually I undid the white plugs beneath the seats which was fiddly but achieved the necessary result.

The seat belt warning bleeper is there to help prevent you from breaking UK law and is one of the reasons that the Auris obtains a high safety rating. IT REALLY IS NOT ADVISABLE TO DISCONNECT THIS SAFETY FEATURE! You could be seen to invalidate your insurance by tampering with a factory fitted safety feature! You are advised to reconnect the system at the earliest opportunity!

Open the boot lid BLEEEEEP for about 10 seconds why? I know I've opened the boot, I don't need to be reminded and there is an indicator on the instruments which is quite enough to show me if its not completely shut.

This is another safety feature to alert the driver if the hatch should come undone whilst driving......Not all drivers notice the instrument warning lamp......ONCE AGAIN IT IS BEST NOT TO DISABLE THIS SAFETY FEATURE

Open a door with the engine running and BLEEEEEEEEP. I know I've got the door open, I can feel the draught and ditto about the instruments.

This is again a safety feature to detect when a door is not properly closed......It is interlocked to your MM transmision system

Go into reverse gear and BLEEEEP. I know I'm in reverse, I want to go backwards, and its not a gear lever move I can make inadvertantly.

Same as above...........Surprisingly some people have been known to select reverse gear by mistake!

Anyone know how to turn the BLEEEPING bleeps off whicle keeping the instrument display on?

Why would you want to disable some important safety features on the Auris that have helped it obtain a high Euro safety rating?? :eek: ..............Most modern cars share these important safety features!

• Like 1

Speak to your dealer. Quite a few will be able to be changed/turned off by the dealer (assuming they know how to use their intelligent tester)

Thank you Black Knight, I will talk to my dealer, though I suppose I will have to pay.......

The response from Red Yaris 54 demonstates exactly the sort of nannying mentality that I am complaining about. Far from improving safety these irritating bleeps create a bad mood making it far more likely that accidents will happen.

You can disable the seatbelt beep without disconnecting anything. Just follow these steps:

1. Turn ignition on and switch to ODO

2. Turn ignition OFF

3. Turn ignition ON again (before 5 seconds have passed from the time you turned it off)

4. Press the Trip reset button and hold it like this for 10 seconds.

5. Without releasing the reset button, fasten your seat belt.

6. Release the reset button w/o unfastening your seat belt. The Display will now show "B-ON"

7. Press the reset button again - it's now changed to "B-OFF"

As for the other warnings, as far as I know there's no way to disable them, but at least you can make the door reminder much more quiet than it is originally (not sure about the other sounds, it seems that the Speakers which are producing them are located elsewhere). To make the door warning sound more quiet, just cover the speaker producing the alerts, it's located on the speedo. You will have to remove and open it up to find it if my memory serves me right.

Thank you Black Knight, I will talk to my dealer, though I suppose I will have to pay.......

The response from Red Yaris 54 demonstates exactly the sort of nannying mentality that I am complaining about. Far from improving safety these irritating bleeps create a bad mood making it far more likely that accidents will happen.

You asked a question on an open car forum...................I replied to your question giving a balanced view on why such approved safety features on your Auris should NOT be turned off.

In order to achieve a decent Euro NCAP safety rating it has become a requirement for all manufactures to incorporate such safety features on their vehicles.

To disable them is IMO going against the manufacturers safety intent and as such could be seen by your insurers as degrading the safety specifications of your car and therefore invalidating your insurance.........The decision to do that and the possible consequences are entirely in your hands.........but do consider the potential effects on other parties!

Whilst I appreciate that you may not like the "Nanny State"..........(Who does?)......To tamper with fitted safety features is really NOT a good idea!

N.B: I have removed some of your failed posts on this topic in order to save confusion to other forum members :thumbsup:

• Like 1

i'm not going to get involved in any arguments as to the rights or wrongs of disabling warning beeps, however on my Prius I do find the 'key in' warning a bit annoying, and again I know that I'm in reverse, and let's be honest, if I inadvertently put the car in reverse when I'm going along there would be one hell of a noise let alone a beep! :-)

HOWEVER..... I can see the reason for the seatbelt warning, and actually also the reversing beep, I suppose it's beneficial to know that you are going to reverse into the car parked behind you??

Beeps are put in to a car for a reason, and although I've driven Toyota's for over 20 years I have no doubt that other manufacturers are doing similar things with their new vehicles.

I am with supermart on this one. Those features are annoying if anything and make people angry instead of helping anybody (except for toyota to get a better grade on safety test and then market the car as a 5 star one).

Don't get me wrong - a lot of features are there for our safety and they are doing it well: airbags, ABS etc. But not stupid lights and beeps. How come, 20 years ago there were no ligths and beeps about everything and still people could live and not die at every corner? Because they were using their brains. Now, all this is an artificial concern which gradually pushes people into a non-thinking region. I did something wrong or stupid? No worry, the car/oven/grinder will think for me. And the real tragedy will occur once it stops because the CPU will malfunction, sensor will break down etc. I don't like the idea of thinking for me - I can do it very well by myself. And if somebody can't than the last thing he or she does should be doing is driving a car on a motorway with other traffic participants.

Tell me, where is the safety in this:

- leaving your radio turned on: try to sit in the parking lot, listening to the radio and have your door open (because it is hot or you're washing your car) - IMPOSSIBLE, the beeper will *beep* you crazy;

- boot or lid hatch breaks?? come on, have you seen that happening? Unless they make them so POOR quality now to cut the cost that they are worried. And once it breaks, it will fly open anyway so no lamp will help you. And when you close your door, lid or boot you can see (or check) whether it is properly closed. If not, then maybe you're not best fitted to driving a car (you have bad eyes or whatever).

- leaving you key in igniton and having door open (on a parking lot)? If you had problems with that it was enough to grow a habit of ALWAYS taking keys with you when leaving a car; if not, you may forget when you parked your car anyway since you have bad memory ;)

- as for the belts - it should be your responsibility (as a driver) to have everybody buckle up. Tell me, there are no LEDs or beeps on the rear seats - do you forget to fasten your seatbelts there? Or forget to put your child in the child seat (OMG, no light for that!)? If there is somebody sitting behind me, he/she has to fasten the seatbelts, otherwise I am not driving - I don't want him to crush me in case of an accident. But no light will help me with that. We are not driving a plane or a bus with 50+ people on board. There are 5 or 6 people max in a car, and 4 door max. Do you have problems looking after that? Come on...

This is just a protection for companies but they of course tell us otherwise. An idea that came from across the pond. No light to fasten my seat belts? Than I will drive into the wall without them, go to the hospital and then sue the manufacturer for making a dangerous product. And I will live a rich life ever after. I don't like that very much, and hopefully I can see I am not the only one.

I am with supermart on this one. Those features are annoying if anything and make people angry instead of helping anybody (except for toyota to get a better grade on safety test and then market the car as a 5 star one).

Don't get me wrong - a lot of features are there for our safety and they are doing it well: airbags, ABS etc. But not stupid lights and beeps. How come, 20 years ago there were no ligths and beeps about everything and still people could live and not die at every corner? Because they were using their brains. Now, all this is an artificial concern which gradually pushes people into a non-thinking region. I did something wrong or stupid? No worry, the car/oven/grinder will think for me. And the real tragedy will occur once it stops because the CPU will malfunction, sensor will break down etc. I don't like the idea of thinking for me - I can do it very well by myself. And if somebody can't than the last thing he or she does should be doing is driving a car on a motorway with other traffic participants.

Tell me, where is the safety in this:

- leaving your radio turned on: try to sit in the parking lot, listening to the radio and have your door open (because it is hot or you're washing your car) - IMPOSSIBLE, the beeper will *beep* you crazy;

- boot or lid hatch breaks?? come on, have you seen that happening? Unless they make them so POOR quality now to cut the cost that they are worried. And once it breaks, it will fly open anyway so no lamp will help you. And when you close your door, lid or boot you can see (or check) whether it is properly closed. If not, then maybe you're not best fitted to driving a car (you have bad eyes or whatever).

- leaving you key in igniton and having door open (on a parking lot)? If you had problems with that it was enough to grow a habit of ALWAYS taking keys with you when leaving a car; if not, you may forget when you parked your car anyway since you have bad memory ;)

- as for the belts - it should be your responsibility (as a driver) to have everybody buckle up. Tell me, there are no LEDs or beeps on the rear seats - do you forget to fasten your seatbelts there? Or forget to put your child in the child seat (OMG, no light for that!)? If there is somebody sitting behind me, he/she has to fasten the seatbelts, otherwise I am not driving - I don't want him to crush me in case of an accident. But no light will help me with that. We are not driving a plane or a bus with 50+ people on board. There are 5 or 6 people max in a car, and 4 door max. Do you have problems looking after that? Come on...

This is just a protection for companies but they of course tell us otherwise. An idea that came from across the pond. No light to fasten my seat belts? Than I will drive into the wall without them, go to the hospital and then sue the manufacturer for making a dangerous product. And I will live a rich life ever after. I don't like that very much, and hopefully I can see I am not the only one.

Thanks for the rant :eek:

It is simply called "Evolution"

Live with it......................Or, remain a dinosaur ;) :lol:

• Like 1

Leaving you key in ignition and having door open: that could be very annoying. Fortunately can be disabled: its a small 2 wire plug called keysense on key cylinder that you have to remove.  

Leaving you key in ignition and having door open: that could be very annoying. Fortunately can be disabled: its a small 2 wire plug called keysense on key cylinder that you have to remove.  

Any more info on that? Would like to know where to find the plug!

Thanks for the rant :eek:

It is simply called "Evolution"

Live with it......................Or, remain a dinosaur ;) :lol:

You're welcome ;)

If you call making people thinking an obsolete thing in name of some strangely conceived "evolution" then you're right - I will thank for that and remain a dinosaur. A thinking one, that is. And I will wait till everybody else - going with the "evolution" will die out once their "intelligent" equipment will make them killed :)

You're welcome ;)

If you call making people thinking an obsolete thing in name of some strangely conceived "evolution" then you're right - I will thank for that and remain a dinosaur. A thinking one, that is. And I will wait till everybody else - going with the "evolution" will die out once their "intelligent" equipment will make them killed :)

Sorry, but I have read and re-read this post several times and it makes no sense to me. :unsure:

Would you care to repost, trying to make your post just a bit more understandable...............in order that it may add to the debate :thumbsup: :)

Hope you dont issue a law suit to Dan_Daniel should the above action fail and you leave your keys in the car :rolleyes:

Kingo :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Sorry, but I have read and re-read this post several times and it makes no sense to me. :unsure:

Would you care to repost, trying to make your post just a bit more understandable...............in order that it may add to the debate :thumbsup: :)

Sure. Eliminating a human being from a "thinking" process is no progress to me... It is just plain opposite. And that is exactly what all of those unnecessary beeps etc. do.

Here you go, you have the sense of my previous post ;)

Sure. Eliminating a human being from a "thinking" process is no progress to me... It is just plain opposite. And that is exactly what all of those unnecessary beeps etc. do.

Here you go, you have the sense of my previous post ;)

Thanks for that :thumbsup:

The warning beeps are not intended to eliminate the human from the "thinking" process of car driving............Indeed they are intended to act as a gentle reminder to the driver that the cars systems are not functioning as they should be.............the sound backs up the warning light.

This type of warning is intended as an aid to the driver and should never be considered to remove the total responsibility for safe driving from the driver.

To eliminate the beeps is to take away a vital built in safety feature which is fitted to aid "total" vehicle safety

Thanks for that :thumbsup:

No problem!

Indeed they are intended to act as a gentle reminder to the driver that the cars systems are not functioning as they should be.............the sound backs up the warning light.

And I would put stress on the word "gentle". The beeps in auris are by no means gentle. They are very annoying.

To eliminate the beeps is to take away a vital built in safety feature which is fitted to aid "total" vehicle safety

I would totally agree with you if those beeps really accompanied some important warning lights. Like, I do not know, engine overheating, problem with breaks, some other vital system malfunction (like an airbag or ABS system). Does it do that? I really doubt it. It doesn't even show the tyre pressure ;) Instead it "screams" at me at moments that have absolutely nothing to do with total vehicle safety (radio on, door open when stopped, key in the ignition etc.). That is why I find those features needless and only annoying.

As for the reversing beep that somebody noticed earlier - it is now almost on every lorry and/or bus. When the driver has no rear mirror and cannot clearly see what is happening behind the vehicle. It is to warn other traffic participants (mostly pedestrians) about that particular vehicle reversing. It is not for the driver to know he is in the reverse. So I found things like that a little bit exagerrated or maybe even redundant on auris. You can clearly see what is behind you.

Please understand that I am totally for reasonable safety systems and additions, like I wrote before, but against those that improve safety only on paper: in manufacturer's brochures or in other advertisment jibberish.

Hope you dont issue a law suit to Dan_Daniel should the above action fail and you leave your keys in the car :rolleyes:

Kingo :thumbsup:

How to forget the keys in the car when is supposed to want to lock the car with the keys after leaving it ?? Speed_chaser, you will get it soon on pm as you are the only one interested. I hope you don't sue me for that.  :laughing:

Speed_chaser, you will get it soon on pm as you are the only one interested.

Naah, I just try to make you tell so that I could sue you and make some extra money :rolleyes::lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I tried disabling the key in ignition warning today. When I was done, I left the key in and opened the door. I heard nothing but silence. So great! Then I came out of the car and started doing other things. I felt like something was missing, it was my car key. Finally I found out it was still in the ignition :lol: lol

Thanks for the guide one more time :)

i have auris 1.6 t spirit it does not bleep in reverse (glad) but bleeps when door open ( have no key just push button ) sitting in it or not ignition off which can be disabled by closing the door then opening again or pressing the door close button which is just under the door striker plate.it can be annoying when you want the door open for some reason.

• 3 years later...

dan_daniel, this is a "thank you" post! You saved me from a lot of frustration from the particular bleep!

It took me less than five minutes to do it without any tools.

As a precaution, I put some insulating tape around the connector, but I guess I could have done without it.

Thanks again!

Here's a little step-by-step guide on how to do this:

1) Remove the big plastic housing of the key cylinder by slightly pressing the points in the red circles:

DSC07819_zpsc1a81a06.jpg

2) Next, pull it all the way down to uncover the cablings and connectors (sorry for the unsteady shot...):

DSC07818_zps477dcd82.jpg

3) Locate the keysense connector. It is right next to the cylinder (mine had white and blue wires).

DSC07814_zps7d1e91ad.jpg

4) Pull down the connector gently (pull the connector, not the cables!)

DSC07816_zpsc032520f.jpg

5) Just as a precaution, put some insulating tape around it.

DSC07817_zps10868ea3.jpg

6) Put the cover back and you are ready!

Hi guys, anyone know, how or where the 'key cylinder' is on a T-Spirit model hybrid with keyless entry and start? Is it in the same place? It just sends me over a cliff everytime, every other bleep is fine but that one is a step too far! Many thanks.

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't feel ok unplugging anything under the steering column. Maybe that plug has other functions except the beep for the key??

I would feel better disabling the actual cable for the Speakers that make the beeping audible.

Anyone knows where these are? (especially for opening door but also for key left on).

thanks

I would feel better disabling the actual cable for the speakers that make the beeping audible.

Anyone knows where these are?

There is only one small speaker (piezo) for these beeps, it's situated inside the clocks, I don't think you want remove this; unplugging that connector is a better idea.