Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

K&n 69 Series Typhoon Kit

corollavvti

Hi, I would like to found out if I install a K&N typhoon kit to my 2003 corolla 1.4 vvt-i 5 door hatchback, will it improve the performance and also will it affect the MPG?

I would like to know if there is a decrease in performance and if the MPG drops?

Thank You!!!! :D

post-94668-127877534328_thumb.jpg

Seeing as it's such a small engine now you won't see massive differences but no engine really does to be honest.

You will get slightly better MPG, and the throttle response will be improved, but mainly you will get a much deeper throatier sound from the filter. :yes:

:thumbsup:

a part which decreased performance and reduced fuel economy would be pointless. as has been said main difference you'll hear is a deeper growl from the engine, coupled with exhaust mods can make car sound very nice. mods such as this are usually form the basis of bigger mods and on their own don't necessarily improve bhp.

i beg to differ on the bhp part. there is an increase or it wouldnt be garanteed by k&n to increase bhp.. mpg i dont know

Lostitboy0162.jpg if there wasnt going to be a increase in bhp i wouldnt have spent £160 on something thats just gona produce a fancy noise

a typhoon kit from Halfords for my car costs £180, is this OK or can I get it any cheaper?

I heard rumours about heat and hot air going through the filter, will I have this problem with my car?

this can decrease performance cant it?

thank you again people :)

oh yeah and what is the difference between the k&n typhoon kit and the k&n 57i induction kit?

Yes that's called heat-soak and it does decrease performance due to the volume of oxygen decreasing in each cm3 of air. (So less O2 per Gram of fuel = smaller explosion less power)

Everyone has it to some degree but you can avoid it by getting a heat-shield or using and CAI kit as opposed to SRI. CAI = Cold Air Induction SRI = Short Ram Intake like the Typhoon.

CAI is positioned lower down behind the front wing where the engine bay heat isn't an issue, however in the UK climate you run the risk of it sucking up water and causing a hydralock which is basically when your CAI sucks up water which gets into the cylinder. This can't be compressed so your pistons warp along with the con rods and parts of the engine shoot through the crank case. Not good.

I'd advise you to go for SRI (the Typhoon) and just get a heat-shield if you are that concerned. Not many people here have bothered though because it does the job just fine. ;)

Halfords seem to be the cheapest i found by me it was £169 so thatwasnt too bad

Yes that's called heat-soak and it does decrease performance due to the volume of oxygen decreasing in each cm3 of air. (So less O2 per Gram of fuel = smaller explosion less power)

Everyone has it to some degree but you can avoid it by getting a heat-shield or using and CAI kit as opposed to SRI. CAI = Cold Air Induction SRI = Short Ram Intake like the Typhoon.

CAI is positioned lower down behind the front wing where the engine bay heat isn't an issue, however in the UK climate you run the risk of it sucking up water and causing a hydralock which is basically when your CAI sucks up water which gets into the cylinder. This can't be compressed so your pistons warp along with the con rods and parts of the engine shoot through the crank case. Not good.

I'd advise you to go for SRI (the Typhoon) and just get a heat-shield if you are that concerned. Not many people here have bothered though because it does the job just fine. ;)

for my 2003 corolla 1.4 vvti it shows on the official K&N website that the typhoon kit is CA which im guessing is cold air intake and it will fit my vehicle, well thats ok then as your saying CAI is the best one?

thank you very much for your advice :D

if i have any problems after i fit the typhoon kit i will get back to you aha :)

halfords seem to be the cheapest i found by me it was £169 so thatwasnt too bad

yes they quoted me £180 for my 1.4 corolla which is ok i guess?

No problem.

But I am not saying that one is better than another! I'll make it clearer to you.

Short Ram Intake:

Pros;

*Better Throttle Response

*Sounds amazing

*Can improve fuel economy

*Prevents Hydra locks that are possible with CAI

*Is cheaper than CAI

Cons;

*Is prone to heat soak which reduces performance

*Doesn't get cold air so effectively at higher speeds

Cold Air Induction:

Pros;

*Looks great

*Sounds nice

*Prevents heat-soak due to it being outside of the engine bay

*Keeps intake air temperature right down at higher speeds which increases performance a fair bit.

Cons;

*Is more expensive than SRI

*Doesn't offer such good throttle response

*Is much more likely to fall foul of a hydra lock in UK and other wet climates. (Water bends your pistons and wrecks the whole engine)

*Is a pain in the ass to fit

*Doesn't sound quite as good as SRI

If you go for CAI you run the risk of destroying your engine, however it does have some performance advantages noted above. SRI is a safer bet for normal daily driver cars (non track) because we don't need to have great induction systems and also because it is far less likely to suck up water than CAI.

I personally would go for SRI because I wouldn't want to risk ruining my engine for the sake of avoiding heat soak, which can be avoided with the addition of a heat shield. :thumbsup:

I would advise you to go for an SRI kit. :yes:

If you want my opinion, since you only have a 1.4 liter vvti, just get a KN filter panel to replace the OEM one in the filter box.

The SRI (or the CAI) will give great noise and probably a little more power at higher revs but you will lose torque on lower revs, something which will make the car not very pleasant to drive in the city at low speeds. You will always have to reach high revs to get power from the car.

So, the thing that you have to ask yourself is the following:

How often will you be using the car at high revs, speeding etc? If you are going to use it like this all the time, then yes, the CAI or SRI is a good deal. However, if you are using you car usually for normal drive and only sometimes you step on the accelerator and reach high revs... its better just to put a KN filter panel. The car will breathe better and you will not lose torque at low revs, something which is very important for a 1.4 liter car.

As regards the fuel consumption... always keep in mind that there is no such thing of increasing performance without increasing consumption...

That is a valid point however K&N are criticised for the level of oil put in their panel filters which ultimately makes your MAF sensor filthy and can ruin it. When the MAF gets dirty you can get warning lights up and the engine has gone into limp mode before.

If you go for a panel filter then try to avoid K&N.

If you want my opinion, since you only have a 1.4 liter vvti, just get a KN filter panel to replace the OEM one in the filter box.

The SRI (or the CAI) will give great noise and probably a little more power at higher revs but you will lose torque on lower revs, something which will make the car not very pleasant to drive in the city at low speeds. You will always have to reach high revs to get power from the car.

So, the thing that you have to ask yourself is the following:

How often will you be using the car at high revs, speeding etc? If you are going to use it like this all the time, then yes, the CAI or SRI is a good deal. However, if you are using you car usually for normal drive and only sometimes you step on the accelerator and reach high revs... its better just to put a KN filter panel. The car will breathe better and you will not lose torque at low revs, something which is very important for a 1.4 liter car.

As regards the fuel consumption... always keep in mind that there is no such thing of increasing performance without increasing consumption...

i am going to take your advice and go for a better panel filter then as i only sometimes drive fast and spending £180 on the typhoon kit is not worth it for a 1.4 that i only drive around the city

thank you very much :D

That is a valid point however K&N are criticised for the level of oil put in their panel filters which ultimately makes your MAF sensor filthy and can ruin it. When the MAF gets dirty you can get warning lights up and the engine has gone into limp mode before.

If you go for a panel filter then try to avoid K&N.

oh okay then, can you recommend any performance panel filters or any good panel filters that are better than the stock one?

thank you for your help and advice :D

No problem.

But I am not saying that one is better than another! I'll make it clearer to you.

Short Ram Intake:

Pros;

*Better Throttle Response

*Sounds amazing

*Can improve fuel economy

*Prevents Hydra locks that are possible with CAI

*Is cheaper than CAI

Cons;

*Is prone to heat soak which reduces performance

*Doesn't get cold air so effectively at higher speeds

Cold Air Induction:

Pros;

*Looks great

*Sounds nice

*Prevents heat-soak due to it being outside of the engine bay

*Keeps intake air temperature right down at higher speeds which increases performance a fair bit.

Cons;

*Is more expensive than SRI

*Doesn't offer such good throttle response

*Is much more likely to fall foul of a hydra lock in UK and other wet climates. (Water bends your pistons and wrecks the whole engine)

*Is a pain in the ***** to fit

*Doesn't sound quite as good as SRI

If you go for CAI you run the risk of destroying your engine, however it does have some performance advantages noted above. SRI is a safer bet for normal daily driver cars (non track) because we don't need to have great induction systems and also because it is far less likely to suck up water than CAI.

I personally would go for SRI because I wouldn't want to risk ruining my engine for the sake of avoiding heat soak, which can be avoided with the addition of a heat shield. :thumbsup:

I would advise you to go for an SRI kit. :yes:

Remember to stay away from K&N with Panel Filters.

I got my GREEN filter from here. I don't know what panel filters they do: europerformance.co.uk

I don't know if that's the right one for your engine, but Blitz are very reputable. I can also vouch for GREEN.

I buy a lot of stuff from these guys so they can be trusted. :thumbsup:

does anyone have an up to date part number for the maf plug extension condenser to fit the typhoon?

Remember to stay away from K&N with Panel Filters.

I got my GREEN filter from here. I don't know what panel filters they do: europerformance.co.uk

I don't know if that's the right one for your engine, but Blitz are very reputable. I can also vouch for GREEN.

I buy a lot of stuff from these guys so they can be trusted. :thumbsup:

yeah ive visited that website before, now i know its trust worthy because someone uses it :)

thanks for your advice, i will try Blitz and Green

thanks again :D

I had the K&N 57i kit on my 1.4 for a while, makes a pretty loud growl but couldnt tell any difference with the performance, I thought it reduced my economy and ate a bit more petrol but not entirely sure. If you live in Leeds you can come round and have mine, ive just bought a T-sport so ill have to invest in a new Blitz one i guess, conditional that you havent actually bought one by now though?

I had the K&N 57i kit on my 1.4 for a while, makes a pretty loud growl but couldnt tell any difference with the performance, I thought it reduced my economy and ate a bit more petrol but not entirely sure. If you live in Leeds you can come round and have mine, ive just bought a T-sport so ill have to invest in a new Blitz one i guess, conditional that you havent actually bought one by now though?

thanks but like i dont think im going to get a typhoon kit anymore, im just going to stick to a panel filter, maybe K&N or Pipercross

thanks thought very much

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links