Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1996 Rav4 Ignition Barrel - Dealer Replacement

MartinBa

Hello

I am new to this forum.

My wife has a 1996 RAV4 and a few weeks ago the igntion barrel stoppped working. The key went in and we could turm the key to unlock the steering but we could not start the car. The AA came and hotwired the car so we could get it home.

Our normal mechanic did not feel up to tackling this as the car has an immobiliser fitted.

I rang our local Toyota dealer and initially they quoted £55 for a new ignition barrel, they then ran the VIN number through their system and then said because the car has an immobiliser I would need a new ignition barrel made for the existing key and this would be £256 (plus VAT and labour) and that the alternative would be a new ignition barrel and immobiliser which would be even more.

We reluctantly agreed and they did the work and the car is fine but when we went to pay they said they had they had changed the tumblers on the the lock to fit the old key as this was "cheaper for us" and so there were a couple of keys over which no longer fitted the lock and that we now had a new unprogrammed ECU sitting on the passenger seat worth @£150 - all of which has left me puzzled.

I cant help feeling that they could have changed the tumblers on the £55.46 lock and saved me £200 but I don't understand whether the immobiliser is linked to the key or the ignition barrel or both.

I appreciate now I have found this forum that the chepest way would have been to disable the immobiliser and get replacement ignition barrel form a breakers.

Any advice greatfully received.

thanks

Martin

I too am particularly interested in any replies to Martin's posting, as wee wife's 3 door Rav (Funnerburd 2) has the previously reported "demented mosquito" buzz, which I traced to the ignition barrel inner sleeve vibrating against the outer sleeve. (metal on metal.)

This has been cured by the use of a very heavy keyring seemingly pulling them both together, and although not cancelling out the noise completely, it is greatly reduced.

I had thought of going down the route of a new barrel assembly....at Martin's quoted prices, guess what kinda barrel I will be opting for????

Any advisatories greatly accepted, or should we buy some decent noise cancelling headphones?

Big Kev :help:

I too am particularly interested in any replies to Martin's posting, as wee wife's 3 door Rav (Funnerburd 2) has the previously reported "demented mosquito" buzz, which I traced to the ignition barrel inner sleeve vibrating against the outer sleeve. (metal on metal.)

This has been cured by the use of a very heavy keyring seemingly pulling them both together, and although not cancelling out the noise completely, it is greatly reduced.

I had thought of going down the route of a new barrel assembly....at Martin's quoted prices, guess what kinda barrel I will be opting for????

Any advisatories greatly accepted, or should we buy some decent noise cancelling headphones?

Big Kev :help:

Hey Kev - how dos?

Can you get to the barrel easily? Just wondering how much slack between inner and outer - is it enough to slip in a strip of thin felt or other fabric. Another material that might work is teflon sheet. Most supermarkets sell it for lining baking trays. About a fiver if I remember correctly. Great on the Bar-b-q too - stops stuff burning, especially fish :thumbsup:]

Hi Dee,

Not normally nervous of breaking into look at things, but for the obvious reasons of Martin's probs and prices, I am loathe to open up anything to do with ignition / security / imobilisationary widgetry.

Certainly only a few microns (or pubi, as Bothy would say) of space to slip anything in to, SO NOT AN OPTION.

Big Kev :thumbsup:

Hi Dee,

Not normally nervous of breaking into look at things, but for the obvious reasons of Martin's probs and prices, I am loathe to open up anything to do with ignition / security / imobilisationary widgetry.

Certainly only a few microns (or pubi, as Bothy would say) of space to slip anything in to, SO NOT AN OPTION.

Hmmmm.......What about a dab of 'Smart grease'?

Hi Dee,

wassat ??? John Travolta Logarithms?

Big Kev :lol:

Hi Dee,

wassat ??? John Travolta Logarithms?

Big Kev :lol:

Nah, it's 'Thick oil's' intelligent brother: LINK

Back in the old days, sumwun invented computer chips which pre-existed microwave chips. Then they fitted said chips into the early RAVs.

So, an immobiliser thingy would have been designed around circa 1990 technology which means according to my water clock that that was 20 years ago.

Ditch the immobiliser and if yer that worried about yer 14 year old car getting nicked, then chain it to a local lampost.

Turning to the ignition, I've never had any problems yet with the barrel lock so really comment other than going for a cheap alternative.

However it bugs me when I have a bunch of keys just to operate 1 vehicle.........By modern standards I'm surprised that well known inventor - S. N. Otter = hasn't solved this problem.

Hello

I thought I would update you on the dealer response.

There are two sizes of ignition barrel with the ignition barrel for cars with an immobilisor having a signal amplifier which makes them larger.

As my wife's car had an immobilisor we needed the latter option and this is only supplied by Toyota with new keys and a new immobilisor - hense the higher cost.

By changing the new lock to fit the old key they avoided the cost of installing the new immobilisor.

They also said not all manufacturers supply new parts to 14 year old cars.

All of which is understandable.

So if you find yourself in the situation the cheapest option would be to get an ignition barrel from a breaker and get an autolocksmith to change the lock to fit the old key or disconnect the immobilisor.

regards

Martin