Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help: Coolant Leaking Into Passenger Footwell!

Tsporter

Anyone have this problem before?

My coolant is leaking into the right side of the passenger footwell, seems to be coming from a silver metal pipe above(i'm guessing the hearter matrix is burst)...

So anyone know how much this is gonna cost, and how long i'll be without the car??

Can't get to my mechanic untill wednesday...

Don't quote my on this but possible 6hrs to remove/replace dash and heater matrix plus price of a heater matrix.

Prob could have it back in a day if they had all pats instock an their workload isn't too heavy but I doubt it.

Possible a few days without the car. Unless he can confirm where it's leaking from an do a temp repair until the parts come in.

Anyone have this problem before?

My coolant is leaking into the right side of the passenger footwell, seems to be coming from a silver metal pipe above(i'm guessing the hearter matrix is burst)...

So anyone know how much this is gonna cost, and how long i'll be without the car??

Can't get to my mechanic untill wednesday...

If its leaking, might be an idea to take the heater hoses out of the back of the firewall (back of the engine bay) and link them together and effectively bypass the heater matrix.

Will save you loosing coolant and getting your carpets wet. I think you may be able to just plug them up if you cant bypass because the cooling system has other ways to circulate the coolant, other than through the heater matrix.

This is where some genious sticks radweld in the system to try and plug the hole, to be honest if the matrix is coming out anyway it might be worth the risk of clogging it up.

i had the same problem with my ae82 when i bought it, it would not stop hunting, days later after trying all sorts i noticed the passenger footwell was wet and it was like blood , only waterish, thats when i realised it was a leak from the heater matix , but leaking on the inside of the firewall, the best option is to replace it , the pipes entering the the engine bay from the matrix core have probably split from the edges and causing it to leak on the inside. or see if you can get a new matrix core either re-cored or replaced. good luck :thumbsup:

About 15 years ago I was was atempting to change a heater matrix on my old Sierra, people said to me "take it to the garage and let the experts do it", did I listen?......did I hell.

To cut a long story short I eventualy decided that Ford must have hung the matrix from the ceiling on a piece of string and built the whole car around it.

I know this doesn't help, but it brings back painful and funny memories for me.

Hope it doesn't cost you to much.

It's deffo the matrix, not too hard to do it on the AE92, but I don't want to imagine how bad it will be on modern cars... :no:

I would advise you to get the pros to do it on this one, especially if you are reliant on your car being on the road any time soon! ;)

It's deffo the matrix, not too hard to do it on the AE92, but I don't want to imagine how bad it will be on modern cars... :no:

I would advise you to get the pros to do it on this one, especially if you are reliant on your car being on the road any time soon! ;)

Thanks for all the replies lads. Left it with my mechanic today, he'll be having a look at it tomorrow. Got a lovely italian machine as a replacement! Anyone know if theres a 1998 Punto owners club??? It's actually embarrassing! ha

If you remove the glove box you'll be able to see the matrix or at least the pipes going into it on the right. You will also see the motor for the interior fan directly behind the glove box. Dismantling and removal of this give you space to remove the heater matrix.It is not a dash out job on this corolla

Yeah same thing happened on mine pretty much - if you look for the thread regarding heater not working (its about 13 pages long), you will see the pics I uploaded. Basically my heater was almost useless, so flushed a bit of mr muscle sink and plug unblocker through the matrix, then it started to leak. Took the matrix out and found the corrosion (that was removed with the Mr Muscle) was the only thing holding it together!! So I assume it is a design fault with the material used for the matrix. Unfortunately a new matrix from Toyota is £275 and there are no cheaper alternatives.

Bad news for me lads.

The heater matrix/rad/core is bust. A new one costs 475euro + vat!...and only toyota make them!

Managed to find a crashed 03 corolla in the local scrapyard and ordered the rad from it for 50squids. Hope to god it works!!

• 3 months later...

T Sporter

Did you change the matrix yourself, or did a garage do it.

If so how hard is it to do, or what did the garage charge.

I haven't had a heater for a year!

I have got a 2nd hand matrix though.

Dave