Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Offset

Froston

hey ppl,

i understand that the seo offset is 35 - 38.

the loys i want are 40. what does this mean?

i've heard that "spacers" can adapt your car to fit a different offset of alloy is this rite?

thx. frost :thumbsup:

40 offset shouldnt cause u any probs

oh cool :) how do you know that? how does that work? :blink: - has anyone fitted 40 to a seo?

thx. frost.

40 offset shouldnt cause u any probs

Not quite correct...

Lets say that you leave the width and diameter of the wheel alone and change only the offset from the stock -35mm to -40mm

The net result would be that you move the mounting flange of the wheel 5 mm towards the face or the outside of the wheel. Obviously this would mean that the inside edge of the wheel was 5mm closer to the shock absorber, and the outside edge would be set back in the wheel arch by the same 5mm.

Overall the track of your car would be reduced by 10mm front and rear.

Moreover you would notice marked changes in the handling characteristics of the car, and its doubtful they would be good. Rubbing of the wheel against parts of the car structure is also a possibility.

You could add a 5mm spacer to the wheel to bring the offset back to the correct dimension, which is all very well in theory but it doesn't take into account that spacers are rarely machined to allow the hub centre ring to take its share of the load, thus putting 100% of the stresses and vehicle wieght through the 4 wheelnuts...

Stick to the stock offset measurements where possible. A team of engineers spent may months on suspension geometry for the car, and they specify offsets within a 3mm window for a reason...

Stick to the stock offset measurements where possible. A team of engineers spent may months on suspension geometry for the car, and they specify offsets within a 3mm window for a reason...

so does this mean its ok to go 3mm bigger? :huh:

or with spacers or sumthing :help:

thx. frost

so does this mean its ok to go 3mm bigger? :huh:

or with spacers or sumthing :help:

thx. frost

No mate, what it means is you have to stay within that range, ie 35/36/37/38 would be ok as you're still within the defined range, but as soon as you go to 39 its out the preset tolerences (couldn't think how else to put it) :thumbsup:

putting wheels with ET 40, it's not a problem, because it's small difference. I have alloys with ET25 and it caused me some problems. But it looks better, and helps on turnings. I hope I will not have more problems when I will give shorter springs... <_<

No mate, what it means is you have to stay within that range, ie 35/36/37/38 would be ok as you're still within the defined range, but as soon as you go to 39 its out the preset tolerences (couldn't think how else to put it) :thumbsup:

ah ok i think i understand now B)

but are there many alloys out there that hav an offset of 35 - 38?

Most of them i found are 40 <_<

thanks! :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

Hey People sorry to bring this topic up AGAIN but! i want to put 17s on my car and i know that i really should put an offset of et40 on to avoid rubbing on the inside arch, but i was wondering if i could put spacers on a wheel which has an offset of et35. can this be down or does it have to be et40 to start off??? :wacko: plus what is the centre bore all about??Hope someone can help. i wont bring this topic up again i promise after this!!!!

35 - 38 and 4x100 is a very comon fitment, its the same as

new BMW mini,

HONDA Civic, CRX, Concerto, Prelude >91, Accord >91,

KIA Sephia, Mentor, Concord, Shuma,

MAZDA 121 >95, 323, Demio, MX3, MX5

MITSUBISHI Carisma, Colt 92>, Lancer 92>

NISSAN 100NX, Almera, Micra, Sunny

All the PROTONs

RENAULT Clio, Megane, Laguna, R19, R21, Espace

ROVER 200, 400, 25, 45

SEAT Arosa, Cordoba, Ibiza, Inca, Toleda

SKODA Felicia, Favorit, Forman, Pick-up