Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gearbox & Driveshaft Issues

thane

Evening guys, well I've had my 06 plate aygo for 6 weeks and it has started leaking oil from the inner CV (drivers side). The passenger side drive shaft has play at the hub, though it is the inner joint leaking thats my biggest concern.

Has anyone experienced this before? Anyone ever changed the gearbox (im geussing the diff bearings may be playing up), if so how hard is it? I'd like to know if its an awkward job to decide if i should have a crack rather then fork out a fortune for a garage to do this.

The car is still technically under warranty, and the company doing the warranty is called auto trust, but im always sceptical of such things and preparing myself should i need to do this myself instead of the garage.

Thanks all.

If the oil is coming from the gearbox/driveshaft seal then you only need to fit a new seal, nothing else.

Also there is a small amount of play in the driveshafts ends into the gearbox - this is normal, no need to diff bearings.

If the diff bearings had gone you would be hearing a noise before feeling any play.

Aygo gearboxes are very easy to remove/work on.

Mart.

Hi mart, thanks for your reply. The mechanic who had a look seemed pretty sure that their was alot of play in just one shaft, more so then the other, and the fact that the other driveshaft had a lot of play in the hub i'm geussing means that the car has probably had a bit of a hard time then. I'll still pursue the garage to get them to look at it, but if they wont entertain it then ill price up the parts and do it myself on the drive then. Are then any specials needed or will the normal metric spanner and socket set suffice?

Mart.

Hi Mart.

Just for future reference.......

I've replaced clutches in several fwd cars I've owned.

If / when, I need to replace the clutch in my aygo (or my wife's)

Are the driveshafts removed like early Ford Fiestas (Internal circlip)or something clever.

Presumably, it's remove driveshafts, support stuff, unbolt all connections,

unbolt gearbox from engine then replace clutch in normal manner?

Is the MMT the same? but undo electrical connections etc.

replace clutch as normal then,......Does the car re-learn clutch biting

point, or is it a trip to the dealers?

Any advice / suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Ian.

Mart.

Hi Mart.

Just for future reference.......

I've replaced clutches in several fwd cars I've owned.

If / when, I need to replace the clutch in my aygo (or my wife's)

Are the driveshafts removed like early Ford Fiestas (Internal circlip)or something clever.

Presumably, it's remove driveshafts, support stuff, unbolt all connections,

unbolt gearbox from engine then replace clutch in normal manner?

Is the MMT the same? but undo electrical connections etc.

replace clutch as normal then,......Does the car re-learn clutch biting

point, or is it a trip to the dealers?

Any advice / suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Ian.

The gearbox end of the shafts are fitted with circlips as you say.

Ragarding the MMT it is pretty much the same but with alot more connectors - plus you have to carry out a procedure before you remove the 'box and also reset it when you have rebuilt it again or you wont get any gears at all.

This procedure can be done using the Toyota tester or just a service wire whilst running through a set procedure (neutral,gear, +, - etc etc)

Mart.

• 3 months later...

The gearbox end of the shafts are fitted with circlips as you say.

Ragarding the MMT it is pretty much the same but with alot more connectors - plus you have to carry out a procedure before you remove the 'box and also reset it when you have rebuilt it again or you wont get any gears at all.

This procedure can be done using the Toyota tester or just a service wire whilst running through a set procedure (neutral,gear, +, - etc etc)

Mart.

sorry to bring up an old post but i have recently replaced my clutch and i am having this problem.

are you able to advise any further information on the procedure as i have done this on my drive and i am uable to reset the actuator at present and the car is not drivable.

any help will be appreciated

Hi Ninja.

I can't be of help but I'm very interested for future

refence.

How did the swap go?

Usual prise out the drive shafts / Unplug everything / Unbolt gearbox /

Slide off input shaft / Swap clutch......Back together in reverse order?

Or something magical?

What is the procedure you have to carry out before removing the box?

Was it easy? Any pictures?

I presume you're talking about MMT.

All back together but needs to "learn" something?

Sorry to butt in but I like to know how my stuff works if at all possible.

Ian.

Hi,

Yes it is MMT.

Yes you are correct in the procedure however after speaking to toyota today you nee to do somthing called the clutch clamp procedure (Neutral, drive, etc but never told me the whole thing) which ensures that the clutch actuator is fully extended. then remove clutch etc then assemble and run through the whole procedure again.

I was told that i can do this procedure now everything is back but i do not know what to do?

Does anyone kno hat this procedure is?

I ouldnt normally double post like this but the car is undrivable at the moment and i am unable to get the clutch to engage properly ithout resetting the actuator it.

• 2 weeks later...