Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Steering Issue

Benjie

Hi

I've had my trusty 1997 Carina E 1.8 for 3 years, and 60k miles of trouble free motoring, however the steering has an intermittent notch in it, usually when its hot weather and when doing slow manoeuvres, if I turn the wheel all the way to the left, the notch will sometimes happen just when i'm turning it back to the right. The rest of the time it seems fine. There doesn't appear to be any leaks, and the fluid looks pretty clean. The power steering isn't exactly feather light, but it does still work, I guess that's nothing unusual as its now done 100k miles. Might I be looking at early signs of steering rack failure? :(

Thanks

Ben

Hi

I've had my trusty 1997 Carina E 1.8 for 3 years, and 60k miles of trouble free motoring, however the steering has an intermittent notch in it, usually when its hot weather and when doing slow manoeuvres, if I turn the wheel all the way to the left, the notch will sometimes happen just when i'm turning it back to the right. The rest of the time it seems fine. There doesn't appear to be any leaks, and the fluid looks pretty clean. The power steering isn't exactly feather light, but it does still work, I guess that's nothing unusual as its now done 100k miles. Might I be looking at early signs of steering rack failure? :(

Thanks

Ben

[/quote

try renewing the belt first and putting loads of grease in rubber boots before renewing the rack it to me in a picnic and it just needed some grease in the boots.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I am experiencing I believe the same knocking noise you described. Please can you explain where exactly you applied the grease? Boots are they the rubber things under there by the wheels?

Thankyou

Will

quote name='trev3635' date='16 July 2010 - 10:54 PM' timestamp='1279317272' post='1022768']

Hi

Thanks

Ben

[/quote

try renewing the belt first and putting loads of grease in rubber boots before renewing the rack it to me in a picnic and it just needed some grease in the boots.

Therev were problems with the Carina racks leaking and causing problems, it may have run dry at some point and causing this notchness

The other thing it could be is a dry/partly seized universal joint where it joins the rack, similar to this picture I Googled

0406vwt_07z+1971_Volkswagen_Beetle+Steering_Column_Universal_Joint.jpg

If that joint is partly seized it will give you the exact symptoms you describe

Kingo :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Thanks

Ben

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links