Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Screeching Noise Help

bluevortex

Howdy all :D

I have been meaning to post this or some time. I have a screech/wining noise coming from my Rav4 when accelerating.

It does not happen all the time and only when I change gear but rev's aren't quite high enough for that gear(if that makes any sense)

It sounds like a belt noise to me. I was down in the lake district last week driving around on those narrow, twisty up & down roads going between 2,3 & 4th gear plenty so I noticed it heaps. Actually, now I think about it it happens climbing up through the gears but only lasts a second or two until the engine has picked up enough to entertain that gear.

I'm not mechanically minded and don't really like going to dealers with niggles like this. Any thoughts?

Cheers

Blue

I have the same problem. Turned right quickly today and experienced screeching. Happens quite often when I take off at junctions.

After some deliberation, I solved it by ordering taxis to take the missus to work instead.

I'm not an expert of any sort on dieselly engines but I guess its whatever belt drives the power steering, or alternator.

Did you remove the Grouse that flew through yer grill last week by the way?

I have the same problem. Turned right quickly today and experienced screeching. Happens quite often when I take off at junctions.

After some deliberation, I solved it by ordering taxis to take the missus to work instead.

I'm not an expert of any sort on dieselly engines but I guess its whatever belt drives the power steering, or alternator.

Did you remove the Grouse that flew through yer grill last week by the way?

I wish it was that easy! Unfortunately, even I can distinguish between the noise coming from the car & my wife/9 month old boy whilst touring the lakes :rolleyes:

I have no idea, what is causing this, cars booked in for the 40K service shortly & ECU upgrade so I will mention it then. I was hoping you guys might have been able to give me something to go on before speaking to Toyota that's all. I guess a forum has limitations disgnosing niggles like this.

Blue

It may be just the alternator drive belt slipping - from cold with engine running switch everything electrical on to load up the alternator the belt will screech if worn/needs adjusting.

Del.

It may be just the alternator drive belt slipping - from cold with engine running switch everything electrical on to load up the alternator the belt will screech if worn/needs adjusting.

Del.

That sounds plausable, never noticed it from a stationary position though. I would hazard an uneducated guess that it is the drive belt, is this connected to the alternator then? The previous owner (my dad) was aware of this but said it had been like that for almost as long as he had the car but it never worried him enough to get it sorted :blink:

Almost certainly the drive belt is dry and requires a bit of adjustment

Kingo :thumbsup:

Blue,

Kingo et all may smack me for this, but spray a small amount of WD on one of the pulleys so that it just lubes the belt and no more. Now go for a run towards Aviemore and donate some welly to gas pedal.

If noise gone, either belt needs adjustification or is on way out. I have no patent registered for this test method.

It certainly worked on my Simca 1100...some car the Simca, so to speak.

Big Kev :thumbsup:

Blue,

Kingo et all may smack me for this, but spray a small amount of WD on one of the pulleys so that it just lubes the belt and no more. Now go for a run towards Aviemore and donate some welly to gas pedal.

If noise gone, either belt needs adjustification or is on way out. I have no patent registered for this test method.

It certainly worked on my Simca 1100...some car the Simca, so to speak.

Big Kev :thumbsup:

Okay will do - Is the drive belt not enclosed then? Will take a little looky

Blue

You can just see the drive belt but for goodness sake don't soak it in WD40 as it will ruin it. It is a fiddle to fit a new one so maybe the dealer will be best when it goes in. for Kevs test you need only a tiny amount of mist.

Oh balls. I wish I had checked back sooner as I got a bit carried away with the wd40!! Good news is the noise has gone but so it was definitely this belt causing the problem. Been driving this pm for a good hour or more and not noticed it at any point. Anch - do you think this will damage the belt now?

Blue

....."SO THAT IT JUST LUBES THE BELT AND NO MORE" were my wisdomly words....ah suppose we will end up in court now, at each other's throats, and I will win the case, and drive away in the car I originally coveted anyway?

Good luck, Blue, hopefully belt will have burned off excess naturally, but Anchs is right...WD has a habit of being corrosive on some plastics and rubber compounds (yet it cleans UPVC white window frame stains brilliantfully !!!!)

Big Kev. :eek:

Just send me a cheque for £10k and we can settle it here & now!!

It will be alright if it is working now. It may come back when all the residue has gone.

No need to litigate :rolleyes:

Get a new belt, the chances are the WD40 is going to eat your current one. next time use a silicone spray.

Squealing could also be a clutch problem; do the engine revs go up with no increase in speed?? The clutch could be knackered and slipping.

Just send me a cheque for £10k and we can settle it here & now!!

Won't catch me that easily....ah give you ten ponds, then you say you don't have any change....aye, right.

Big Kev. :lol:

As the belt relies entirely on friction I wouldn't personally use any kind of lubricant on it. It has proved the point in this case but if you load it with the alternator and A/C it could well slip and add to the problem especially if it has become contaminated/impregnated by the lubricant.

I would only ever use a small amount of warm water to diagnose the presence of a creaking or squeaking belt. Water disappears without trace or harm within a few minutes.

As the belt relies entirely on friction I wouldn't personally use any kind of lubricant on it. It has proved the point in this case but if you load it with the alternator and A/C it could well slip and add to the problem especially if it has become contaminated/impregnated by the lubricant.

I would only ever use a small amount of warm water to diagnose the presence of a creaking or squeaking belt. Water disappears without trace or harm within a few minutes.

The car goes in for it's 40K service at the end of the month so I will mention the drive belt to them. Will be cautious befor eapplying WD40 to plastics in future.