Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Egr Valve

CorollaD4D

hello all. the boys over at auris and avensis club are always going on about cleaning egr valves etc yet who dont seem to bother too much in corolla club. is there any reason for this (other than us having a far superior car :P ) or does the corolla egr not get so choked up with deposits as the auris and avensis?

i dont think they seem to be as bad, plus there aint that many diesel heads on here,

i cleaning mine about 6 months ago but unfortunately somewho managed to brake an electrical pin on it and thus need a new valve.........still need a new valve :crybaby:

hmm in that case i guess cleaning the egr myself is something i wont attempt! maybe il pursuade my mechanic to do it at next service...

well i did my brother-in-laws a week after mine even knowing that i had broken mine and not a bother,

few lads did theirs just before me and not a bother,

it improves mpg (brings it back to normal), and makes trottle response more smooth,

not that big a job, on the 1.4 there is just 1 bolt that is an absolute f**ker to get at, expect to come away with cut hands,

mind you any work i do to the car i always come away with brused or cut hands

hmm i think cleaning egr valve can be put on the to-do list for the near future. any ideas where the egr is on the 2.0d4d? my mpg is not bad but it could be better especially around town. what does the egr valve actually do?

Hi,

I have a Corolla 2.0 d4d '54 plate and a Verso 2.2 d4d '57 plate.

I have been told thar all egr's need cleaning on a regular basis to keep them running sweet although my rolla has always run sweet and still seems to be getting better and better every day even with 72k on the clock.

The verso however is already in a bad way and is going back under warraty for new injectors and an egr clean out with only 22k on the clock.

The egr (exhaust gas recirculation)valve is part of the breathing system and is mounted on the inlet manifold.

The problem is that the valve body carbons up and after a blat down the motorway bits can break off and go straight in to the head, valves, and eventually the pistons via the inlet manifold thus ripping the rings to bits.

That is the extreme result, but it can happen.

It has happened to 3 of our Avensis company cars resulting in 1 complete new engine and the other 2 needing new heads and breathing modifications.

We now have 2 Lexus diesels in similar troubles. (You have to remember though that these are sales reps and managers and never look under the bonnets)

I am going to try and find the time this weekend to look at my rolla and I would suggest that everyone else does the same.

Having said all that I still love my Toyota's.

Bod

the thing is i've been dealing with my 2.0d4d engine in the corolla and avensis body for years now and never once have i cleaned opened or even though about egr valves. to my mind this toyota diesel is one of the few engines you can literally put in fuel and just drive without having to worry. of course regular servicing is vital. worrying about cleaning egr valves and the engine breaking down or needing new parts or major rebuilds is something (in my opinion) only people who make the mistake of buying vauhalls and ford cars should be blessed with. my point is that i am not 100% sure whether cleaning the egr valve is that important or if people who do choose to clean theirs are being too anal when they dont need to be, afteral if it was so vital would it not be part of the full (or even intermediate) service?

I agree fella. That is why I'm annoyed that my verso is now playing up since the corolla has done so many miles with now issues.

It really is hard to understand what Mr T has done to make the new cars with D4D so much worse.

Still, I spose thats modern progress. LOL

Bod

LOL haha modern progress indeed. in my opinion the way they got the 2.0d4d down pat in my corolla they will be hard pushed to make an engine that good in the near future, their recent attempts have not been too brilliant. i mean around my area i'd say 95% of cabbies are using this engine either with a corollla or avensis body on top and they love it. regular service, timing belts, clutch when needed and change fly wheel when it starts making knocking noise and then engine is good to go. the highest mileage one ive seen is 400K miles which is still going strong...

haha, thats savage miles, but no bother to toyota B)

well iav 89k on mine and besides needing a new egr valve (my own fault) the car is 100% :thumbsup:

still drives 100% even with valve not working right, great car, 56mpg on my fill up yesterday :P

oh and my mpg reading jumped way up after cleaning the valve, i was only getting 45 mpg at one stage, but once cleaning it started climbing nicely :thumbsup:

hmm my mpg readings are dropping off recently. i think my driving style (changing up at around or just before 2000rpm) doesnt help the situation as the motorway runs are few and far between not that im on summer vacation from university so i think my engine is all clogged up with soot and other cr*p. i think i shall be going on a good 4th gear motorway blast this weekend to blow some of the !Removed! out the back. :D

The reason you 'rolla drivers don't have the problem is because you all drive like maniacs :P :lol:

and im guess that keeps the egr clean hehe :P its a tough balance and one which i have nowhere near mastered. my dad can hop into a 2.0d4d corolla and get easily around 40-42mpg around town, when i drive the car this regularly drops to 32-35mpg and my dad changes gear around 22/2400 whereas i change up at around 2000.

i dont know how to explain but my dad seems to drive without making the turbo kick in so noticeably yet when i drive the car you can feel the pressure build.. :S

softer acceleration and maybe changing up at 2 the engine is under a bit of pressure and using that bit more, try changing up same as your dad :thumbsup:

not bad idea it could be the engine is having to work when i change up at 2000 and is using more fuel due to being under load?

i dont know, recently ive become really unhappy with my car and ive lost the enthusiasm i had when i bought it. ive spent a lot of time in my friends golf mk4 1.9tdi and im starting to notice the short comings in my car a lot more lol plus the fuel economy hasnt been amazing but that is my fault for my style of driving.

The EGR is a stupid stupid thing anyway - It feeds the exhaust into the clean air intake! How can that be a good thing?!

The only reason it's there is to try and reduce NOx emissions, but it increases CO2, CO, soot and reduces MPG and power!

They need to invent a better catalyst so they can remove that stupid thing...

I do like the Corolla; I'd have one but the Yaris is better suited for what I use it for (Visiting many sites in north london, trying to find parking spaces!)

My brother has a 2.0 D4D - Great fun to drive! Clutch pedal feels like it was lifted from a truck tho' :lol:

The trick to getting a lot of mpg is just to accelerate slower and try not to brake as much; I find leaving a bigger gap in traffic means I can roll smoothly at a lower speed while the guy in front kangaroos.

Anticipating lights is another good saver; If it's red and you know it'll change green, you can lift off and time your arrival to just breeze past :lol: