Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brakes Upgrade

sheepscloth

Hi Guys

Is there any bolt on brake upgrades for the corolla T-sport, using brake components from other toyota models?

Would it for instance be possible to use Avensis D4-D front discs/calibers ( 295mm dia) instead of the standard Corolla T-sport ones ( 275mm dia)?

Any thoughts?

I know I could just buy a big brake 4 pot conversion( e.g Brembo) but that is not my question.

Basically would a visit to a breakers yard be worth it?

There aren't any that I know of. However you can makes the most of the CTS setup with a set of Mintex pads (Norfolk n Chance) can vouch for them! :lol: And Discs of eBay. (Again, NFC will vouch)!

Also you can replace your brake fluid with something a little tougher. AE92's and I think the CTS use DOT4 fluid, IIRC you can use DOT 5.2 racing fluid which is much more savage.

im contemplating going for the eBay grooved and dimpled (not through drilled) discs with ferodo pads which seems to be quite a potent and popular setup. also a lot of people go for eBay drilled/grooved or only grooved discs with ebc red stuff pads too. for the cost its better to buy upgraded discs/pads for the brakes you have than trying to get other calipers to fit etc.

KPJ - what effect does the use of different brake fluid have on the brakes? my fluid needs changing so i may as well get some advice before deciding what to use...

im contemplating going for the ebay grooved and dimpled (not through drilled) discs with ferodo pads which seems to be quite a potent and popular setup. also a lot of people go for ebay drilled/grooved or only grooved discs with ebc red stuff pads too. for the cost its better to buy upgraded discs/pads for the brakes you have than trying to get other calipers to fit etc.

KPJ - what effect does the use of different brake fluid have on the brakes? my fluid needs changing so i may as well get some advice before deciding what to use...

I am no guru on it, but I have been told that it makes the brakes tougher and more savage for track day use, however I do not know if it will strain parts too badly. Doubt it though.

You should ask Dawesy because he is the one who recommended I use DOT 5.2, can't see why it would be different for the E12 seeing as they both use DOT 4 normally. I think it will be absolutely fine, just be aware it could be overkill on normal driving. ;)

im contemplating going for the ebay grooved and dimpled (not through drilled) discs with ferodo pads which seems to be quite a potent and popular setup. also a lot of people go for ebay drilled/grooved or only grooved discs with ebc red stuff pads too. for the cost its better to buy upgraded discs/pads for the brakes you have than trying to get other calipers to fit etc.

I am no guru on it, but I have been told that it makes the brakes tougher and more savage for track day use, however I do not know if it will strain parts too badly. Doubt it though.

You should ask Dawesy because he is the one who recommended I use DOT 5.2, can't see why it would be different for the E12 seeing as they both use DOT 4 normally. I think it will be absolutely fine, just be aware it could be overkill on normal driving. ;)

all it does is it handles higher temperatures

Pretty sure the viscosities are different... :huh: Don't see why it would make a difference of what you put in your car then, so the labels the manufacturer gives with regards to what fluid to use are pointless...

Just sounds odd that there would be no difference.

Either way, I stand corrected. Sorry. :)

Recommended brake fluid for a CTS is DOT 5.1 thumbsup.gif

(Dunno why it says DOT 4.0 in the engine bay blink.gif )

Pretty sure the viscosities are different... :huh: Don't see why it would make a difference of what you put in your car then, so the labels the manufacturer gives with regards to what fluid to use are pointless...

Just sounds odd that there would be no difference.

Either way, I stand corrected. Sorry. :)

The higher the number of the fluid the higher the boiling point. When the fluid reaches boiling point you get brake fade because the gas bubbles can compress making the pedal spongey. So if you do a track day and your brakes are getting hot then you want DOT 5.1 really as it'll be harder for the brakes to reach the point where they fade.

For every day use DOT 4 is fine. Your better off just making sure you've got new fluid in cos brake fluid absorbs water over time and this leads to spongey brakes.

Well I'm using 5.1 then, not exactly a huge price difference.... :D

Cheers.

Recommended brake fluid for a CTS is DOT 5.1 thumbsup.gif

(Dunno why it says DOT 4.0 in the engine bay blink.gif )

Yep DOT 5.1 is recommended as its a better long lasting fluid. DOT4 however is a more commonly used fluid but it just means you should change it more often than the long life 5.1 that Toyota suggest.

Farhan when I do brake fluid change shall I use Toyota recommended in my car or is the silkolene or other brand a better fluid? If it makes any difference im going with dimpled/grooved discs with ferodo pads on the front...