Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Need A New Clutch

chris1712

Morning gents, my clutch has gone from me thinking maybe its slipping 50-100revs when I hammer it in 6th going up hill, to slipping all the way up to redline without a moments notice.

So, whats the dealio? I've seen talk of OEM Blueprint, Exedy and Helios/Helix (can't remember) clutches on here. From a quick google i can't actually find a supplier of the blueprint set, Exedy seems cheapest from eBay at about £140 and that's about all the choice I've found so far?

Perhaps a bigger slice of this is finding a decent garage! I've lived in Bristol nearly 4 years now but I've not found a garage I trust, the motor trade I swear is one of the slimiest most deceiving industries left. So does anyone have a recommendation? If its cheap labour thats a bonus, under 50p/h would be nice. Even better if its someone that realizes a clutch change doesn't take the 6 hours their computer tells them it does!

HELP!

i commented but then realised that your post was aimed at bristol members. im taunton so deleted but it wouldnt let me completly delete it .so i left a thumbs up .i was saying that i went for a toyota clutch .mine failed at 73,000 miles.

i commented but then realised that your post was aimed at bristol members. im taunton so deleted but it wouldnt let me completly delete it .so i left a thumbs up .i was saying that i went for a toyota clutch .mine failed at 73,000 miles.

Ok lol. Out of interest how much did it all come to, what labour rate etc.

Cheers

the clutch was 150 . labour was around 250 .

Hi, I'm in Bristol & have used 1st choice toyota in warmley, the guys there are ex toyota fitters. give them a buzz on 01179603444 or 07773749557. they use toyota parts mainly, I was happy with the advice & work they did for me. I hope this helps you out

for BluePrint parts you can either contact BluePrint diretcly and ask for a local supplier or if you have an AllParts Automotive nearby, they stock a huge range of Blueprint parts. In terms of how it performs, it is much much better than the oe one and far more resilient to high revs etc. However mine is very heavy and when coupled with a fussy gearbox, it can make changing gears a bit of a chore at times.

" the motor trade I swear is one of the slimiest most deceiving industries left"

I find that highly offencesive as i work as a mechanic and we do our best to keep our customers happy, i have not heard of many complaints against our garage and we take pride in all the work we carry out.

Just because you have not found a decent garage near you does not mean that all garages are the same!!! So please do not make outrages comments without all the facts.

Sorry about the moan but this post has really annoyed me.

" the motor trade I swear is one of the slimiest most deceiving industries left"

I find that highly offencesive as i work as a mechanic and we do our best to keep our customers happy, i have not heard of many complaints against our garage and we take pride in all the work we carry out.

Just because you have not found a decent garage near you does not mean that all garages are the same!!! So please do not make outrages comments without all the facts.

Sorry about the moan but this post has really annoyed me.

I sympathize with your view but you are unfortunately the exception to the rule IMO. Feel free to open a msprince branch in Bristol though :P.

I think I may of found some reputable garages through careful googling and so on so I'm just going to have to bite the bullet soon and hope its all good, quotes are all about £450 which is 6hrs labour + clutch + new fluids etc.

Rather annoyingly MrClutch is the cheapest but I've heard nothing but bad things about them? Anyone had experience with them here? They seem certainly the most hassle free (at least until they've fitted the thing!) and also the cheapest, so I'd be foolish not to investigate more.

Furthermore, I actually got a 3rd party warranty with the car when I bought it in January, does anyone know how I go about using it? I guess I phone the warranty company and then they will tell me which local garages I can use them at? It hadn't occurred to me that a clutch would come under warranty but its worth a shot.

Wouldn't a clutch be excluded from a warranty as "general wear and tear"?

I suspect it would, but isn't that everything on a car? If I didn't drive the car the clutch wouldn't be shagged! Interestingly in the documentation I have, it says in the included parts 'Clutch', and then in the excluded parts section is says 'Clutch'.

Worth a try though, not gonna be fun dropping £450 when I'm about to go back to uni :(.

mate Im a tech for AP AUTOCARE in Bristol, we are Citroen backed but we also work on any make of vehicle, we have a very good rep and I think we are under £50p/h

Alrite mate, I completely understand ure frustration as I have been in Bristol for many years and I dont

have any high recommendations to help you out! :ffs:

That AP autocare seems like a good shout especially if ure central and ive only recently started going up warmley way

so i havent heard of the toyota guys up there but I will investigate, there are alot of garages up that way and i did

meet a guy who builds vw vr6 raceing engines and said he likes to get stuck into jap cars too! I will get his info up as soon as I get hold of it but if you find anywhere good please let me know! :thumbsup:

Kinda with Matt here, careful what you say seeing as I know some good people who do a good job. ;)

But I do see where you are coming from, however it is advisable to keep those thoughts to yourself. OR you can learn how to do it yourself, something that Matt and myself take great pleasure in doing with our cars. :thumbsup::yes:

Thanks for all the help gents.

I've ended up buying the Exedy kit from eurocarparts and found what would appear to be a reputable garagenot too far away, labour is 45+VAT and just from chatting on the phone they sound like they know whats going on.

Just hope now it is 100% the clutch and not me being a berk. The only other thing I've considered is could it be an oil leak into the clutch cover? Seems unlikely and I guess that would render it more or less undriveable, whereas at the moment its driveable if your delicate and don't hammer it in high gears.

Wth regards to clutch under warrenty it will likely be the pressure plate is covered but the friction plate will not be.

Good luck an i hope you get it sorted.

It could be an oil leak contaminating the clutch, it could also give you the same symptoms of a slipping clutch but it will need changed while the leak is being sorted so you would have not brought the clutch for nothing.

Matt.

Wth regards to clutch under warrenty it will likely be the pressure plate is covered but the friction plate will not be.

Good luck an i hope you get it sorted.

It could be an oil leak contaminating the clutch, it could also give you the same symptoms of a slipping clutch but it will need changed while the leak is being sorted so you would have not brought the clutch for nothing.

Matt.

Yeah that makes sense. Thanks for your help. With any luck all will go swimmingly and I'll have a garage to recommend to Bristol members :thumbsup:.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Bristol and have also heard good reports about the Toyota garage in Warmley.

Last time I went to Jarrett & Smith garage in Horfield 0117 944 4133, following recommendations from friends. The guy came across as totally honest - ie didnt charge me for loads of tests he ran on the car, and didnt try to persuade me to have unnecesary work done.