Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Iq3 Rear Brakes

MarkyPancake

After test driving a 2010 plate iQ3 on Saturday, the Toyota dealer's demo, I noticed it had drum brakes on the rear and they looked really lost inside the bigger 16 inch alloy wheels, then when I looked at the iQ2 in the showroom it had disc brakes, which look much nicer and don't look cheap like the drums, so why does the model that costs more and has a more powerful engine have worse brakes on the rear? Even the brochure confirms that the iQ and iQ2 have disc brakes on the rear, while the iQ3 has drum brakes. I'm getting an iQ3 and am annoyed about this detail.

After test driving a 2010 plate iQ3 on Saturday, the Toyota dealer's demo, I noticed it had drum brakes on the rear and they looked really lost inside the bigger 16 inch alloy wheels, then when I looked at the iQ2 in the showroom it had disc brakes, which look much nicer and don't look cheap like the drums, so why does the model that costs more and has a more powerful engine have worse brakes on the rear? Even the brochure confirms that the iQ and iQ2 have disc brakes on the rear, while the iQ3 has drum brakes. I'm getting an iQ3 and am annoyed about this detail.

That's a valid point. Ours has drums as well which I thought were consigned to the history books on account of this being the 21st century. They work well enough but they are a puzzle.

I have a November 2009 IQ3 and it has disc brakes all round, even though the manual states rear drums!

I really hope mine comes with disc brakes on the back.

I have a November 2009 IQ3 and it has disc brakes all round, even though the manual states rear drums!

Our is a September 2009 so yours was probably one of the first to have them fitted as standard.

Other countries, other packages:

ventilated disc brakes front

discs on the rear

gloveboxbag

for ALL iQs as standard in Germany. :horse:

as a motor mechanic for some 25 years i mutch prefer drums at rear easily maintained as rear disc handbrake systems are suseptible to sezuire also toyota are not alone with drum disc set ups it depends on abs esp systems within the car and i see very little difference in performance in the to set ups

Yep - the iQ3 comes with rear drums. I was baffled at first as well and I'm still not sure why it would need to be different from the 1litre engined cars. The 1.33 weighs more and would add more weight over the front wheels. Maybe they think it is unnecessary to have discs in the rear?

As goealkeeper says, practically it really doesn't matter. Drums are just as effective as discs (just not as good at dissipating heat quickly) and copes better with the dirt and water.

If they're good enough for you nollijibble geezers, then its good 'nuff for me.

• 1 month later...

Only a few weeks until my iQ3 arrives and I find out if it has discs or drums on the rear, I hope the former. It has been confirmed that it will have the updated interior, so I wonder if they've gone for discs on the back too, as opposed to the drums specified in the brochure.

Marky, picked up my black IQ3 auto a couple of weeks ago. It has the new interior, is Euro 5 compliant apparently and most definately has rear discs.....so will yours.

Mine is plum/black inside although black should now come with the grey interior -I'd be interested to hear what you get.

• 5 years later...

as a motor mechanic for some 25 years i mutch prefer drums at rear easily maintained as rear disc handbrake systems are suseptible to sezuire also toyota are not alone with drum disc set ups it depends on abs esp systems within the car and i see very little difference in performance in the to set ups

I am having recurring problems with recurring seizures of the rear brake calipers on my 2009 iq 2. In the past 3 years I have gone thru 3 sets of pads and 2 discs. Has anyone else had these problems and any advice on management.

Thanks,

Brian