Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Verso Towbar 7 Pin But Thule Bike Carrier 13 Pin

AndrewRH

Hi,

I paid my hard earned money to my local Toyota dealer to install a towbar.

I paid my hard earned money to a company that sells the Thule cycle carrier G5 909.

Put the two together and some of the lights don't work right.

Had my dealer look at the electrics (they said they had problems with getting it all wired up so I suspected they did something wrong).

Dealer said the 7-pin connector lit up their lighting board just fine - must be the trailer.

Phoned the dealer for the Thule. They admited that the trailer is "EU approved" and that the 13-pin to 7-pin adaptor sold with it gives "reduced functionality" (she only knew of the reversing lamp not working at all, but I found there were other issues e.g. with fog lamp).

So, what is the "standard" in the UK for the electrical connectors for trailers? 7-pin or 13-pin?

~Andrew~

7 Pin for a trailer would be considered as a standard, the 13 pin plugs are the new European standard for most caravans. You dont need the functions of a caravan, just a 7 pin socket will suit you fine

Kingo :thumbsup:

Thank you.

The lights don't all function though, as I just found out. The Thule dealer said they knew about that (but didn't put that in their sales info!).

Is it legal to drive with the bike rack that has misfunctioning lights (reverse, fog)? The dealer says yes...

~Andrew~

If you have anything like a trailer or caravan (bike rack???) attached then the lights must be in working order, it would take some imaginative cop to book you for a reverse light not working though. It would be easy enough to get the wiring sorted out properly though, if you cant do it yourself, get a towbar/caravan wiring expert to take a look for you

It looks a good piece of kit, I'm impressed. You could put a 13 pin plug on your car wiring end, but just not hook up the extra wiring for charging etc that you would use for a caravan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andrew, not sure from your posts where you live but if you live in SA please give Thule Towing a call on 0333871575 and ask for Mark. We supply all the Towbars to Toyota SA and i am sure i will be able to sort your problem out.

• 3 months later...

Hi Andrew, not sure from your posts where you live but if you live in SA please give Thule Towing a call on 0333871575 and ask for Mark. We supply all the Towbars to Toyota SA and i am sure i will be able to sort your problem out.

Hi Andrew

I'm about to get a new Verso and was thinking of the same Thule Euroclassic G-5 towbar bike carrier. I undersatnd there is a Thule accessory 9901 adaptor which allows the 7 pin towbar and 13 pin carrier to work together.

What advice do you have for fitting a towbar to the Verso? Should I get Toyota to fit or go external? Have heard that it should not be fiited low low to avoid problems with speedbumps with bike carrier. Fllange or Swan neck shape? Bumper need to be cut or not? How much? As you can see I'm confused!

Thanks

Jatin

Hi,

I paid my hard earned money to my local Toyota dealer to install a towbar.

I paid my hard earned money to a company that sells the Thule cycle carrier G5 909.

Put the two together and some of the lights don't work right.

Had my dealer look at the electrics (they said they had problems with getting it all wired up so I suspected they did something wrong).

Dealer said the 7-pin connector lit up their lighting board just fine - must be the trailer.

Phoned the dealer for the THULE. They admited that the trailer is "EU approved" and that the 13-pin to 7-pin adaptor sold with it gives "reduced functionality" (she only knew of the reversing lamp not working at all, but I found there were other issues e.g. with fog lamp).

So, what is the "standard" in the UK for the electrical connectors for trailers? 7-pin or 13-pin?

~Andrew~

simples: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/13-PIN-7-PIN-caravan-trailer-towbar-adaptor-new-/220697364549?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item3362968845 :)