Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Really Wetting Myself

Bod & Hammie

Hi

We have a 2.2d4d '57 plate t-spirit.

The paint is great, the brakes are fine and the DVD players are still working.

HOWEVER, we are starting to have starting issues with a short miss fire and plenty of blue smoke and then all is fine.

Took it in to our fantastic dealer (Dingles, Norwich) and they say it's injectors and they will be replaced under warranty on the 24th July.

"Great" I thought.

Then I start reading on here and my feelings start to sink because the warranty runs out in September and in general this seems to be the start of a run of bigger engine issues.

I'm wondering if it is all bad news or has anyone had a good total repair and no further problems experience.

Fingers crossed.

Bod.

Hi

HOWEVER, we are starting to have starting issues with a short miss fire and plenty of blue smoke and then all is fine.

Took it in to our fantastic dealer (Dingles, Norwich) and they say it's injectors and they will be replaced under warranty on the 24th July.

"Great" I thought.

Then I start reading on here and my feelings start to sink because the warranty runs out in September and in general this seems to be the start of a run of bigger engine issues.

I'm wondering if it is all bad news or has anyone had a good total repair and no further problems experience.

Fingers crossed.

Bod.

Have a sensible conversation with the dealer about it - there are reports of some of these engines going south (piston ring problems) but I bet the total number is very small in relation to the number on the road.

You should not be needing new injectors at less than 25K miles & I would be asking the dealer why they think its happened. It may be though that its just less expensive to replace them than it is to try & clean them (labour costs etc).

If you are really worried then the ultimate health test for any engine is a compression test & a leakdown test. The dealer should at least be able to do a compression test, they may not have the kit do a leakdown. If you get a good compression test ( high numbers & even across all 4 cylinders)then there is no more reason for this engine to fail than any other. Use good oil, keep it topped up & make sure you give the thing a run occasionally. My 2.2D seems to like a belt down the motorway once in a while. While its in ask the dealer to check/clean the EGR valve. Mine was sticking & they replaced it under warranty.

Since this is likely the last trip to the dealer before the warranty runs out its time to make a list of any niggles (eg rattles & squeaks etc) that you can get sorted under the warranty.

If you still really can't sleep at night then your only other two options will be to trade the thing in or buy another year's warranty - Toyota will be only too happy to sell it to you. Bear in mind that any work they do (i.e. your new injectors) will be warrantied for a year anyway.

I say go for the extra years warranty and see what happens from then on.

If your engine knackers itself, then you know that it will be replaced by them for considerably less than it would cost to buy a new engine without warranty.

Also, you can rest slightly more in the knowledge that they will do all the work f.o.c. leading up to the possible catastrophic failure, instead of your wallet shedding ££££ when another little niggle pops up.

Or you can just get a new engine now/trade it in and be done with it.

But I reckon that the extended warranty will be best.

Hi

"Great" I thought.

Fingers crossed.

Bod.

Are you giving it a good long run at least once a week??

Diesel engines can choke up the DPM filter quite quickly if it is only doing short, low speed journeys and that can cause a whole heap of other problems.

I dont know the 07 specs, but recent models by other makers have a software system fix to run the engine VERY HOT for a few minutes when the filter starts to block, to clean it out.

Anyone with more knowledge care to comment??

Hi,

Yes we hit the moterway on a regular basis and always give it a good workout just because it's great fun.

That is interesting about the run hot software. I hope they tell the owners coz that could really freak people out if the temp goes up for no reason and they havent read the hand book.

Cheers,

Bod

Hi again,

I have since found out that 3 Avesis's & 2 Lexus's in our company car fleet have had serious issues with egr vavles.

The Lexus's are undergoing tests and the Avensis's, 1 had to have a whole new engine and 2 had to have new heads with improved breathing systems.(bearing in mind that most reps and managers never look under the bonnet, letalone clean out valves)

It turns out that the egr valve is mounted on the inlet manifold, the carbon builds up, bits break off and go straight in to the head and mash the valves or go in to the cylinders and mash the piston rings.

Isn't that joyus news.

Cheers,

Bod

Hi again,

I have since found out that 3 Avesis's & 2 Lexus's in our company car fleet have had serious issues with egr vavles.

The Lexus's are undergoing tests and the Avensis's, 1 had to have a whole new engine and 2 had to have new heads with improved breathing systems.(bearing in mind that most reps and managers never look under the bonnet, letalone clean out valves)

It turns out that the egr valve is mounted on the inlet manifold, the carbon builds up, bits break off and go straight in to the head and mash the valves or go in to the cylinders and mash the piston rings.

Isn't that joyus news.

Cheers,

Bod

Just cleaned my EGR out today. Easy but messy, messy job!

It was brand new (replaced under warranty) last September. Done about 7K miles since (including a 1K round trip to Scotland but also a lot of school run stuff) & today it looked a lot like the pictures in the other thread. Cleaned it out & took it for a 20 mile run. It wasn't running badly before & to be honest it doesn't feel any different BUT (according the fuel computer) it seems to be using a lot less diesel. Will look at this over the next few hundred miles & see what the effect is.

Also ran it down the motorway & gave it an "Italian Tune-up" for a few minutes :D (ran it in a lower gear at high revs - raises the engine temps & burns crap out the turbo & off the valves.)

Either way I think this thing (the EGR) is going to need to be cleaned at least 2-3 times a year from now on.

Hi,

Well we got the car back yesterday from MrT after a new set of injectors and an EGR clean out (all under warranty) and it's like having the car when it was new.

It's got loads of go and has no low end rattling/knocking. What a transformation.

Dude behind the counter (service manager) says that they are probably going to put the EGR clean out in to the service schedule.

Well happy!!!!

Bod :yahoo:

• 4 weeks later...

Oh dear Oh dear,

Here we go again.

We have just got back from a little run round the south of England and I think it was a close thing.

About 100 miles in to the trip the engine started to do a little cough as we pulled out of round abouts in 2nd or 3rd gear. It felt like a wheel slip on a smooth wet manhole cover.

This continued for the whole trip on about one in three roundabouts and then on the way home on the motorway there was a little hesitation when accelerating to over take every now and then.

It's done exactly 1 month of mainly town work since we got it back from having new injectors and EGR valve clean out.

This car is starting to be a pain and the warranty runs out in exactly 1 month from today.

What do you think guys?

It's going back in this Thursday.

Cheers,

Bod

Hi

"Great" I thought.

Fingers crossed.

Bod.

hi bod

agree about dingles of norwich,although i live in attleborough,i have been staying with daughter in rackheath for a while,and as i noticed that hazard light switch was very floppy so called in for them to take look.they replaced it for me under warranty,painless experiance.

should expect dingles of attleborough to be just as efficient.

• 3 years later...

Old thread revival.

We've now had 3 years of painless motoring with our Verso since all the troubles but here we go again.

The heater stopped working last week so bonnet up and, oh look, no water in the expansion tank. So I filled it to the full mark and left it at that.

4 days later it's empty again. Here we go I thought, head gasket failure. I filled it up yesterday, drove it down to Dingles this afternoon and it lost half a tanks worth in 6 miles.

The service manager there said there wasn't a lot that could be done as it's now 6 years old and out of warranty.

I mentioned this forum and all its advice on this problem and the fact that I had phoned Toyota GB and that there was a possibility of an extended 'good will' warranty up to 7 years and 111,000 miles (ours has done 40,000) and he suddenly said "oh yes that's right". I have to pay for a diagnostic to the tune of £99.99 but it looks like Toyota will put a complete new engine in free of charge on the 4th October. Again fingers crossed as he said it would cost upwards of £2000 if Toyota won't pay. :hang:

• 4 weeks later...

I would only pay for that diagnostic if it IS NOT a warrantee procedure, you should not pay for diagnosis of a KNOWN warrantee claim of engine failure

• 5 months later...

Well sorry I haven't updated here. The good news is that Mr T replaced our engine back in October all under the 'good will' warranty to the cost of just over £4000.

Thanks to this forum and it's advice all ended well.

Anyway, today we traded the old girl in and bought a brand new Avensis Tourer as we no longer need such a big car. Mind you the Avensis is much longer than our old Vera Verso. Funny eh?

So that's me done in this Verso room; thanks for all the help and advice, you'll find me in the Avensis room from now on.

Cheerio.

• 1 month later...

Hi

"Great" I thought.

Fingers crossed.

Bod.

Have a sensible conversation with the dealer about it - there are reports of some of these engines going south (piston ring problems) but I bet the total number is very small in relation to the number on the road.

You should not be needing new injectors at less than 25K miles & I would be asking the dealer why they think its happened. It may be though that its just less expensive to replace them than it is to try & clean them (labour costs etc).

If you are really worried then the ultimate health test for any engine is a compression test & a leakdown test. The dealer should at least be able to do a compression test, they may not have the kit do a leakdown. If you get a good compression test ( high numbers & even across all 4 cylinders)then there is no more reason for this engine to fail than any other. Use good oil, keep it topped up & make sure you give the thing a run occasionally. My 2.2D seems to like a belt down the motorway once in a while. While its in ask the dealer to check/clean the EGR valve. Mine was sticking & they replaced it under warranty.

Since this is likely the last trip to the dealer before the warranty runs out its time to make a list of any niggles (eg rattles & squeaks etc) that you can get sorted under the warranty.

If you still really can't sleep at night then your only other two options will be to trade the thing in or buy another year's warranty - Toyota will be only too happy to sell it to you. Bear in mind that any work they do (i.e. your new injectors) will be warrantied for a year anyway.

For what its worth my 08 Verso SR had 4 new injectors fitted a couple of months ago at 110K to cure a bad / not starting from cold issue. £2300! Fortunately I had a Toyota extended unlimited mileage warranty :clap:

This breaks down to £400 each and £700 workshop time charge

Do your own sums to cost out removal,cleaning and re-calibrating and re fitting them!