Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help, Car Bogging Down, Loss Of Power, Etc.

bigbacon

alright, really need some ideas here.

I went to get breakfast and gas.

I got gas at put 93 in it without thinking as my other car takes it.

Started car and drove about 5 miles to get to a mcdonalds.

got my food and get back in the car

start car

check engine light comes on and idle is really low like 1200 (normally it sits at like 2k)

car bogs down in 1st and 2second

i mean almost no power at all

at 3 and above and 3000+ rpms it seemed ok....

I limped it home and about 3/4 of the way home the check engine light goes off and it seemed like it got a bit better...but not so sure.

When it was really bogging down if I kept the rpms steady it would kind burp in a way

So... Car has been sitting for hours so I went to show my friend what was going on and when I went to start it, it jumps to about 1600 then bogs and dies. Start it again and it bogs and bogs but stays alive this time but barely....idle is irradic, jumping between like 800 and 2000.

if kinda works itself out as it sits. Idle gets solid at like 1600. If you go to drive the car, it surges in R,1 and 2 below 3500 rpms. It's you are going along and all of sudden the RPMS just go up and it feels like the car should and then goes back to being ____.

3rd and up are better but there really isn't a lot of power. I put the pedal to the floor and it just chugs along and goes every so slow up in speed though the RPMS are way high.

I have no idea what could have happened. The car has been running perfectly fine since I bought it.

One thing of note is, the person before me had a custom exhaust (2.5in piping stuff) and the car fired right up sooo easy with that system on. about a week ago, we replace that exhaust setup with an OEM style everything so it could pass emissions. Car still drove ok, it stumbled a bit when cold but never died out.

I'm not sure why that would start making a huge difference now though....Could the kid before have tweaked the engine to work well with that setup? Maybe it's running to rich or something that has already clogged or killed the new CAT? The muffle is kinda rusty and was stored in a shed for years, maybe thats finally messing something up. Maybe its clogged with ****?

Overall right the car is almost useless.

cliffs:

bogs when cold and dies now.

surges in 1,2,R below 3500

really no power at all.

We haven't done anything in the engine bay other than clean it up a by wiping gunk off stuff.

and again, the car seemed perfectly fine this morning when I drove it to the gas station and put gas in it. 10 minutes later it is dieing...

also, I did check the codes. I am only getting code 11 which I can see what that means but I really don't know what it means

alright, really need some ideas here.

I went to get breakfast and gas.

I got gas at put 93 in it without thinking as my other car takes it.

Started car and drove about 5 miles to get to a mcdonalds.

got my food and get back in the car

start car

check engine light comes on and idle is really low like 1200 (normally it sits at like 2k)

car bogs down in 1st and 2second

i mean almost no power at all

at 3 and above and 3000+ rpms it seemed ok....

I limped it home and about 3/4 of the way home the check engine light goes off and it seemed like it got a bit better...but not so sure.

When it was really bogging down if I kept the rpms steady it would kind burp in a way

So... Car has been sitting for hours so I went to show my friend what was going on and when I went to start it, it jumps to about 1600 then bogs and dies. Start it again and it bogs and bogs but stays alive this time but barely....idle is irradic, jumping between like 800 and 2000.

if kinda works itself out as it sits. Idle gets solid at like 1600. If you go to drive the car, it surges in R,1 and 2 below 3500 rpms. It's you are going along and all of sudden the RPMS just go up and it feels like the car should and then goes back to being ____.

3rd and up are better but there really isn't a lot of power. I put the pedal to the floor and it just chugs along and goes every so slow up in speed though the RPMS are way high.

I have no idea what could have happened. The car has been running perfectly fine since I bought it.

One thing of note is, the person before me had a custom exhaust (2.5in piping stuff) and the car fired right up sooo easy with that system on. about a week ago, we replace that exhaust setup with an OEM style everything so it could pass emissions. Car still drove ok, it stumbled a bit when cold but never died out.

I'm not sure why that would start making a huge difference now though....Could the kid before have tweaked the engine to work well with that setup? Maybe it's running to rich or something that has already clogged or killed the new CAT? The muffle is kinda rusty and was stored in a shed for years, maybe thats finally messing something up. Maybe its clogged with ****?

Overall right the car is almost useless.

cliffs:

bogs when cold and dies now.

surges in 1,2,R below 3500

really no power at all.

We haven't done anything in the engine bay other than clean it up a by wiping gunk off stuff.

and again, the car seemed perfectly fine this morning when I drove it to the gas station and put gas in it. 10 minutes later it is dieing...

also, I did check the codes. I am only getting code 11 which I can see what that means but I really don't know what it means

You really should not be eating Mc Donalds for breakfast..............They are not good for the waistline! ;) :lol:

Good luck with getting your car sorted :thumbsup:

umm....thanks for nothing.....

its my once a week ritual (work from home every thursday) and the only think I eat that day until dinner time :)

Welcome to TOC UK....................Hope you appreciate the humour! ;)

Dont know too much bout MK1's but if this happend to a MK2 id check the ignition system(plugs and dis. cap) and leaks in any rubber tubing, as well as tubing that might have fell off or broke... But as for the check engine light....? Maybe its a valve or something like the EGR valve or if there is a TVIS in the MK1... could be that??? Last but not least.... ECU... All i can think of... hope this helps a little...