Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Loss Of Power :s

Super Deuces

My girlfriends aygo which she has had from new, always ran well and never had problems. Had a full service with its MOT about a month ago, but now it seems to have lost some power.

Third gear is really sluggish even at high revs and the engine vibrations shake the whole car, not sure if its misfiring but it is definitely not right. It always ran smoothly with some vibration but noticeably more now! Does it have a distributor cap or an electronic version?

The biting point on the clutch has worn somewhat also, so i know there's going to be a new clutch in the pipeline soon enough. Although hard to describe there is some rattle 'above' the biting point, this is noticeable when clutch is released whilst in gear.It's not like a clunking sensation as the clutch moves smoothly, but does feel like its rubbing on something simlar to running fingers along bearings. smooth but bumpyish.

I'm sorry if this doesn't make much sense I don't know how best to describe it!

If someone could point me in the right direction where i might begin looking, that would be very helpful.

Thanks

I'd check the basics 1st.

Oil is it at the correct level and does it look clean?

Fuel, has this just happened or has it been happening for several hundred miles? A partial top up with the wrong or contaminated fuel by mistake, can still allow an engine to run but very roughly. If you've been through a couple of tanks worth since I'd discount this but it could still be a fuel filter?

High Tension leads is one loose or damaged? If in doubt get 1 replacement and swap it around until you've tried all the plugs.

Spark plugs is one loose or damaged? Same process as with the leads.

If none of this works get it down to Mr T and plugged into the diagnostic box.

Good luck :-)

Thanks Baza,

will try that first. Kwik fit did a full service and a complete oil change last month so the oil should be good. Unless somethings gone wrong in the meantime. Although have heard a few stories about kwik fit not actually performing work they ultimately charge you for. Will try leads and plugs when i get round to it.

Does Mr. T charge for diagnostic use?

Thanks Baza,

will try that first. Kwik fit did a full service and a complete oil change last month so the oil should be good. Unless somethings gone wrong in the meantime. Although have heard a few stories about kwik fit not actually performing work they ultimately charge you for. Will try leads and plugs when i get round to it.

Does Mr. T charge for diagnostic use?

Yes they will almost certainly charge but better that than a blown engine. Excessive vibration is never a good thing for extended periods. Check the oil before you drive it again because little or no oil is fatal for an engine. A pack of 4 spark plugs will cost about £20 and if they weren't changed at the last service are always a good idea. + you'll have a spare as well :-) Aygo Spark Plugs

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links