Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Intermittent Clunk

XTR 55

Hi. I get an occassional clunk sound on quick acceleration ie: slow down for a roundabout, see daylight, foot down go for it. The clunk is intermittent and not every time under those circumstances. The majority of the clunks appear to come from the rear and can be either nearside or offside. In minority of cases apears to come from front either nearside or offside.

The sound is clearly audible. I would like to know if anybody else has experienced the same and could it be something sinister.

Btw manual gearbox

Thanks in advance

Hi. I get an occassional clunk sound on quick acceleration ie: slow down for a roundabout, see daylight, foot down go for it. The clunk is intermittent and not every time under those circumstances. The majority of the clunks appear to come from the rear and can be either nearside or offside. In minority of cases apears to come from front either nearside or offside.

The sound is clearly audible. I would like to know if anybody else has experienced the same and could it be something sinister.

Btw manual gearbox

Thanks in advance

sorry - couldn't resist.... might it be one of the 5 doors swinging in the wind?? :lol:

Aside of that it seems a young car to have a problem. Whats the mileage? And have you read about the brake pads on these??

Btw manual gearbox

Thanks in advance

sorry - couldn't resist.... might it be one of the 5 doors swinging in the wind?? laugh.gif

Aside of that it seems a young car to have a problem. Whats the mileage? And have you read about the brake pads on these??

Thanks for reply Bothy.

50K miles.

No, not read said article which one would it be please

The rear pads often clunk in their calipers. You can get various clunks from the driveline as well. Have a look round or take it to a good local garage for a safety check. Some Toyota dealers do free safety checks.

I found that the suspension bushes etc start go weak and require replacement by 80,000. As said, get a safety test to see if the mountings are all ok, and that things like the drivetrain are held onto the car properly. (Rear diff mounting used to be a favourite...suppose it depends on what use the cars been put to.