Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help!

Sh0rT

Hey guys, I bought a 96 st 1.8 in october and within the past few months ive noticed its been idling a little high. My bro thinks it could be a problem with a exhust sensor but as he is in america cant check out the problem for me, I left it in with my mechanic and asked him to check it out but he said he couldnt find a reason why it may be doing so. Its also drinking oil and i cant figure out why and/or if this has anything to do with the high idling, im having to top up the oil every month or there abouts. If anybody has had similar probs or may know something to help me it would be very much appreciated. I really dont want to scrap this car :(

oil usage is normal on this engine - check the throttle postioning sensor is in the middle , you should also see a screw with maybe some yellow paint on it ,think its an allan head with a 8mm nut holding it in place, it sits under the where the throttle cable ends and acts as a stop , you could try backing that down a tad so the throttle goes down more , this will drop tick over speeds , another way is to slacken the throttle cable slightly .

then theres the water temperature sensor that works the automatic choke , this can be took out and cleaned as over time it gets a covering over it and maybe just dont sense as much as it should.

car51-1.jpg

The 7A-FE does use a little bit of oil when the engine has clocked up a few miles so that no great problem. As for the revs staying up, it could be a gummed up butterfly in the throttle body.