Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How To Remove The Cupholder?

skks

Hello

I managed to breake the cupholder whilst cleaning the windscreen.

I accidentally bent the holder, and now it won't go in anymore. Most probably something came out from its original position.

Could somebody give me some hints how to remove the holder as easily as possible?

Thanks

Hello

I managed to breake the cupholder whilst cleaning the windscreen.

I accidentally bent the holder, and now it won't go in anymore. Most probably something came out from its original position.

Could somebody give me some hints how to remove the holder as easily as possible?

Thanks

Sorry can't help, but t'was a good job you didn't break the windscreen while you were cleaning the cup holder :help:

Haha thanks :thumbsup:

Well actually the holder had popped out somehow and I didn't notice it.

Anyway, help is needed!!!!

Haha thanks :thumbsup:

Well actually the holder had popped out somehow and I didn't notice it.

Anyway, help is needed!!!!

When I collected our car I noticed that the passenger side cup holder was broken (the middle bit was missing).

Now I thought this would be a simple job for the dealer to replace under warranty - well the only way to release the cupholder is to remove the entire top of the dashboard. It took the dealer about one and a half hours at least to replace it - good job the warranty covered it.

I wish you the very best of luck.

yep the whole dash top has to come off to get at the cup holder, big job.

you may have just knocked the pivot section out of place (i did this once) have a look at the other side and compare. if it has popped out it should just clip back in

At the moment it is shaped like a propeller.

Right side seems to be going in normally, but the left side is completely stuck somewhere.

It was much easier on my MK4 Golf :D

2 explaining pictures.

post-96484-127955992143_thumb.jpg

post-96484-127955993912_thumb.jpg

You can replace the cup holders without removing the dash top. Its just alot more fiddly but doesnt take long. Its obviously better/easier to remove the dash top if you dont fancy pulling at the dash too much (i did it with 0% damage to anything).

They are held in with 2 self tapping cross head screws.

Mart.

You can replace the cup holders without removing the dash top. Its just alot more fiddly but doesnt take long. Its obviously better/easier to remove the dash top if you dont fancy pulling at the dash too much (i did it with 0% damage to anything).

They are held in with 2 self tapping cross head screws.

Mart.

Hello Mart

Could you be more specific? Any suggestions, where to start?

• 2 weeks later...

Wow good luck with this. It looks as if you were stood on it to clean the windscreen! :eek: If you manage it let us know with some pics if possible as I wish to get mine out to make a sat nav holder using the pop out mechanism.

At the moment it is shaped like a propeller.

Right side seems to be going in normally, but the left side is completely stuck somewhere.

It was much easier on my MK4 Golf :D

2 explaining pictures.

try warming the cup holder up with a hot air tool, with other free hand force the holder to come back to it's original shape, and keep it in possition till it's cooling down; this must work, it's plastic though...

Unfortunately you have to remove the dashboard to replace the cupholders, If you will not fix them with the way the other members said. I have done it twice (crappy holders maybe??).

You can find info at: www.toyota-tech.eu (It needs registration and the minimum subscription is 3.63 eurosfor 1 hour)

Unfortunately you have to remove the dashboard to replace the cupholders, If you will not fix them with the way the other members said. I have done it twice (crappy holders maybe??).

You can find info at: www.toyota-tech.eu (It needs registration and the minimum subscription is 3.63 eurosfor 1 hour)

hi auris tte

cant you explain how SKKS can fix his cupholder, as you seem to know how you could save him a couple of bob.

a have had problems a couple of times on the toyota tec site when it plays up and no refund available.

• 10 months later...

I've already had my passenger cup holder replaced because it broke, and now my drivers side one popped out and won't stay in - all because I was driving on a bumpy road. How bad is the build quality on this car!!! :crybaby:

• 4 years later...

Hi,

anyone can helps and discribe how to repair both cups holder in toyota auris 2010 ???

pls help,

thanks

Bartto

Hello, Bartek. It's a tough job. The cup holders are held by 3 screws - 2 on the top and 1 on the bottom, facing towards the passengers.

b170817e02.png

It's quite difficult to unscrew them and involves disassembling half of the dashboard.

43feba9ca43ee60_S.jpg

You need to remove the speedometer, the big vent on the top of the CD, the panel with the buttons for the mirrors and what else not...

b162097.png

I have removed the driver's side one once as I hit it with my knee and it got stuck. Took me about 2-3 hours... You might find it useful to get one of these flexible extenders

041%20GED%20022.jpg

or a screwdriver with a very short handle:

FBBB-500x500-700x700.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks a lot for explanation...

are they the same difficulties for right (passenger) side cup holder ?

No idea, I have never removed the passenger side one, just the driver side one.

You can replace the cup holders without removing the dash top. Its just alot more fiddly but doesnt take long. Its obviously better/easier to remove the dash top if you dont fancy pulling at the dash too much (i did it with 0% damage to anything).They are held in with 2 self tapping cross head screws.Mart.

Hello MartCould you be more specific? Any suggestions, where to start?

Did Mart replied back?

• 9 months later...

Hi - I know this is a bit late but I've just repaired the passenger side cup holder on my D-4D after reading the above post.  My nephew had clobbered it whilst getting out of the car and it wouldn't stay shut.  I got fed up with jamming bits of card into it.  The repair turned out to be really easy - simply put, do the following:

• Release the lower glove box.
  • Push and lever the two stops which stop the glove box from opening further (you can see them at the back, just push and lever slightly).  The glove box should now be as open as it can be.
  • Release the damper on the left hand side by squeezing the cone-shaped outer part of the bearing with pliers and pulling the pivot hole (hard to describe but easy when seen).  At this point the box can be levered off its hinges and put to one side.
  • You'll need a torch, a mirror and a no. 2 cross-head driver for the next bit - use the mirror and torch to look at the cupholder from inside the dash (ie) from the front of the car backwards - you will see two cross-head screws just above the cupholder on the driver's side.  You need to unscrew the lower of the two.  It's a bit fiddly and you may have to select from a number of different length screwdrivers to find the best fit.  It also helps if you've magnetised the driver tip to stop the screw falling (this is really a help when you're reassembling).
  • There is one more screw to undo, closer to you on the same side as the one you've undone, about half way along the length of the cupholder.  I found I had to use a small screwdriver ratchet to get the correct angle to undo it.
  • At this point, the cupholder can be eased out of the dash.
  • I was lucky and found that a small pin had been knocked out of place - it was easy to see where is went as there was a pin shaped hole on part of the sliding mechanism.  Once put back in place, the locking function was restored.
  • In the fabled words of countless manuals, reassembly is simply the reverse of the above. 
  • All in all, about 30 minutes work.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

Hi, came in here for guidelines whilst my friend was outside trying to figure out how to remove the cupholder to insert the new one. He came back in 5mins saying he's done it with a help of flat screwdriver.
As long as you don't need to replace the actual body of the cupholder (mine had the actual part that holds the cup in place broken - the one that fold in when you push the cupholder in), you can replace  (or remove) the moving part of it.

1. Insert a flat screwdriver in the gap just on the top of the cupholder, and press it down a bit to release the 2 little hooks thats holding it in and out it comes! 
2. Insert the new part carefully aligning the two little wheels (dunno the name of them? i'm foreigner)

This will only work if you need to replace the part that's coming in and out, but maybe that's your case?

Hope it helped a bit!

P.S. Ignore the pic of having the whole cupholder out- it's the new case where I put in the old part i removed, just to show you how to do it.

Screen Shot 2017-05-11 at 16.54.55.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-11 at 16.55.09.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-11 at 16.54.43.png

• Like 3

Thanks erika that was brilliant! My drivers one broke at same part and I got it removed. Mine didn't come out as easily as yours!image.thumb.jpeg.98b6745499d6145807bc1cfdd5d3a3b9.jpeg

Finally managed to free it though!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Little plastic pin ended up inside but I have it out now!

• Like 1

Does anyone know how much or if this tray is still available from Toyota? I've been given a quote of £30 from someone for a second hand one and not seen any photos to confirm condition. Where mine broke seems to be where they all break so it seems a bit steep to buy one that may be ready to snap too. Anyone know?