Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Key Programming

nwc100

Hi

I got a used Yaris key from eBay last week for £15, I had 2 keys already but one key had no insides only the blade for it, So I swapped the insides over and followed the instructions I found on here!

First I programmed the key lock and unlock buttons which worked fine all done it 2 - 3 minutes, After that I Programmed the immobiliser side of the key which was also done in 2 - 3 minutes!

The instructions were very easy to follow and like I say took a maximum of 6 minutes to do the key, So for a grand total of 10 minutes to swap the parts and program it and £15 to buy the key it has saved me almost £120 from what my local dealers wanted to charge!

What I cannot understand is how they need to charge for 45 - 60 minutes labour for a job that takes 10 minutes maximum, I even spent a good few minutes locking and unlocking and all sorts of starting and button pushing to make sure the new key was ok.....

I also fitted a set of Osram all season bulbs as one of the old ones had blown, Im not sure how they will look at night as they are quite yellow, Like on the old french cars foglights! I have been looking for a set for the fogs but struggling to find them in the 9006 fitting!

Nick

Good to hear that the forum has been useful and thanks for the feedback.

I was expecting to find another thread from someone asking how to do it when I opened the thread so its good to see someone bothering to do a search first rather than just asking the same questions...

Glad you've been successful. Well done and good feedback.

No problems at all, I'm just really surprised how the dealer can tell me it would take 45 minutes to program the key, When I can do it in 10 minutes! The instructions where so easy to follow, The key I had was a used one, which did not work with my key and by following the instructions it was all done very easily.

There is so much information on here which is great but sometimes the search is a little painful to use....better to just use google which normally throws up results from here as well!

Nick

It's allways nice to save a few quid eh? :yahoo:

Good stuff! :thumbsup:

Hi can you give me the link plz on this forum on how to reprogram the key?

ive got the phase 1 yaris 1.3 cdx and the remote unlock works but the remote lock doesnt work, ive changed the Battery but that didnt make a difference so i suspect it just needs reprogramming.

send me the link n ill get started

thanx

Here is the link for the programming,

INSTRUCTIONS

Programming Remote Key Fob

Drivers door open and removed from ignition

Insert key into ignition, then remove it

within 40 sec close and open drivers door twice

inset key in ignition then remove

close drivers door

Insert key into ignition

switch ignition ON and OFF once to program new key code whilst retaining original codes or twice to program a new key code whilst erasing the original codes

Remove key

System should now lock and unlock vehicle, once or twice depending which mode has been selected

Carry out the following within 20 sec

Yaris built in Japan and yaris verso: Simultaneously press and hold key lock and unlock buttons for 1-1.5 sec

Yaris built in France Press key lock button for a minimum of 1 sec and release

Within 3 seconds

Press key lock button for a minimum of 1 sec and release

System should now lock and unlock vehicle

To exit programming mode, open the drivers door

NOTE :if system locks and unlocks vehicle twice, programming procedure has not been completed .Repeat button procedure

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adding A Key To The Immobiliser System

Using a black key you have that is already programmed to the immobiliser:

Insert already programmed black key into ignition switch

Within 15 seconds: Press and release accelerator pedal 5 times.

Within 20 seconds: Press and release brake pedal 6 times.

Remove black key.

Within 10 seconds: Insert the new black key to be programmed into ignition switch.

Within 10 seconds: Press and release accelerator pedal once.

Security warning lamp will flash.

After 1 minute security warning lamp will stop flashing.

If programming another key:

Within 10 seconds: Insert black key to be programmed into ignition switch.

Press and release accelerator pedal once.

Security warning lamp will flash.

After 1 minute security warning lamp will stop flashing.

TO EXIT PROGRAMMING MODE: REMOVE IGNITION KEY AND PRESS BRAKE PEDAL AT LEAST ONCE WITHIN 10 SECONDS, OR WAIT 10 SECONDS.

NOTE: A MAXIMUM OF 7 BLACK KEYS CAN BE PROGRAMMED.

Hope that helps you!

Nick

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

hello to all....

i have tried the following procedure but it was not succesful.

the following is the step that i only finished.

is there any special skills needed?

"Programming Remote Key Fob

Drivers door open and removed from ignition
Insert key into ignition, then remove it
inset key in ignition then remove
close drivers door
Insert key into ignition
switch ignition ON and OFF once to program new key code whilst retaining original codes or twice to program a new key code whilst erasing the original codes
Remove key
System should now lock and unlock vehicle, once or twice depending which mode has been selected"

the remote that i tried was for lexus, do you think they have different frequencies?

thanks to all.

• 2 weeks later...

I have 2000 sr yaris and it doesn't unlock or lock anymore Toyota are charging £300 for the new module is there a way to fix this please ?

• 3 months later...

This page came up on my Google search so I thought I would add what I have found.

I bought a second hand 54 plate Yaris and it had a 3rd party key with no remote. I asked the local Toyota garage about a replacement remote key and they told me £120 for the key and £30 to programme it. OK, I bought the key but they could not programme it. They told me it either needs a new security system (£1500) or talk to a mobile car key company to get the key to work.

The new key opened the doors (not with the remote buttons), turn the engine but would not start it - just as expected.

I searched for instructions on how to get the remote buttons to work and found this:

Toyota Yaris 1999-2006 remote programming instructions

1. Open the driver’s door.
2. Insert the pre-programmed working key into the ignition lock then remove it. Don’t turn the ignition on.
3. Within 40 seconds: Close and open the driver’s door twice, then
4. Insert the new key into the ignition then remove it. Don’t turn the ignition on.

5. Within 40 seconds: Close and open the driver’s door twice, then
6. Close the driver’s door, then

7. Insert the new key into the ignition and turn the ignition on then off, then
8. Remove the new key, then
9. The central locking should now lock then unlock twice.
10. Press the lock and unlock on the remote at the same time for 1.5 seconds
11. Within 3 seconds, press the lock button on the remote for 1 second.
12. The central locking should lock and unlock once.
13. If the central locking locks then unlock twice then the sequence has not been successful. Try again.
14. Open the driver’s door to complete the sequence.

Worked a treat. I now have a key that can open the car with the remote buttons but still not start it.

I then found this to re-programme the immobiliser:

Toyota Yaris 1999-2006 key programming instructions

1. Enter the car and close all of the doors.
2. Simultaneously depress and release both the brake and accelerator pedals.
3. Within five seconds, insert a working pre-programmed key into the ignition cylinder, and turn to the "on" position.
4. Within fifteen seconds of turning the ignition, depress and release the accelerator pedal five times for a primary key
5. Within twenty seconds, depress and release the brake pedal six times for a primary key.
6. Turn the ignition to the "off" position and immediately remove the key.
7. Within ten seconds of removing the key, insert the new key and turn it to the "on" position.
8. Within ten seconds, depress and release the accelerator pedal once. The security light will then flash for 60 seconds and then turn off. When the security light stops flashing the programming should be complete.
9. Start the vehicle to verify that programming was successful.

No one was more surprised than me when this worked. I now have a fully operational key.

Interestingly, I asked the Toyota garage guy about the DIY programming tutorials I had read on the internet and he said it was all rubbish: you had to use their computer system. The system that couldn't programme my brand new key.

It is possible a third party key wouldn't be compatible with Toyota's system.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

HI ,there,

i am the owner of a yaris 02 model and bought a used key from eBay, like my damaged old key IS-3422-00.I have to say that following the instruction of (nwc 100) the key worked.Both the remote and imobilizer.THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH!!!

Panagiotis

• 1 year later...

I have a Yaris '03 and I have only one key. Does anyone know if these keys from eBay work? can I program them?

And what the chip 4d-67 means?

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=191977345737

https://vod.ebay.com/vod/FetchOrderDetails?ViewPaymentStatus&purchaseOrderId=260000049865422 thanks in advance

There are (IIRC) 3 different possible types of remote for the Mk1 Yaris - I think they are Denso, Valeo and Tokai-Rika - so it's not possible to know from the info you've given. What does it say on the key you have?

• Like 1

It is Valeo.Here are two photos.And i really thank you for taking the time to help..

20938989_10210870094721591_930422339_n.jpg

20991525_10210870094561587_592148196_o.jpg

Hmm, from what I can tell the eBay one you posted won't work - I *think* it is a Denso, but the posting is sketchy as heck - It shows a 2 button key, but a 3-button module!

I'd look elsewhere...

BTW, there are people who can repair your existing key for quite cheap (Although you often have to send it away which may not be acceptable).

I will say trying to get a key done on the cheap can be tricky unless you're quite lucky - It is hard finding a decent working module, partly because there are 3 different types but mainly because almost all the ones on eBay are 2nd hand and even if it is the right one it may not work (When I was trying all this, the module I ended up with was able to open the doors but I just couldn't get it to code to the ECU to disable the immobilizer!)

If you can afford it it's worth buying the remote module alone from Toyota (It is still expensive but cheaper than if you get a complete key and get it programmed!) because it will be guaranteed to be correct and fresh to be coded to the ECU, then buy a key case off eBay for a tenner or so (Again, have to be careful as Valeo, Denso and Tokai-Rika use different key blades!), then programming it yourself.

The faff I had trying to get a 2nd hand module to work on my car ended up costing me near what getting Toyota to do it would have, plus wasted a lot of time!

For comparison, from Toyota, IIRC the remote module alone is usually £70-90, while a full key is something like £120 plus between £30 and £70 to be cut and programmed depending on how ubiky your Toyota garage is, and you have to bring your V5C to prove you own the car. (Curiously they don't care if you just buy the remote module on its own!)

The remote I bought off eBay (The one that opened doors but wouldn't start the car) was I think ~£50, the key case was £10, coding was, thanks to this forum, free (aside from a few odd looks from my neighbour when I was opening and shutting the door and stamping on the brakes repeatedly!), but then I ended up paying something like £70 to get an RFID cloned off my working key and stuck to the inside of the flip-key case I bought to make the stupid thing disable the immobilizer...

The kicker is the key later broke (The buttons sheared off so it wouldn't unlock the doors any more!) and I ended up buying a new remote module from Toyota anyway, which took me about 3 attempts to code the doors and 5 to code the immobilizer!

• Like 1

it won't work only because of the immobilizer chip or the blade and the remote won't work too?

Both - The three of them use different codes, and the blade is also different (You can compare this in the photos!)

No problem. Good luck with whatever you do!

• 4 months later...
On 23/08/2014 at 9:45 PM, j2buttonsw said:

This page came up on my Google search so I thought I would add what I have found.

I bought a second hand 54 plate Yaris and it had a 3rd party key with no remote. I asked the local Toyota garage about a replacement remote key and they told me £120 for the key and £30 to programme it. OK, I bought the key but they could not programme it. They told me it either needs a new security system (£1500) or talk to a mobile car key company to get the key to work.

The new key opened the doors (not with the remote buttons), turn the engine but would not start it - just as expected.

I searched for instructions on how to get the remote buttons to work and found this:

Toyota Yaris 1999-2006 remote programming instructions

1. Open the driver’s door.
2. Insert the pre-programmed working key into the ignition lock then remove it. Don’t turn the ignition on.
3. Within 40 seconds: Close and open the driver’s door twice, then
4. Insert the new key into the ignition then remove it. Don’t turn the ignition on.

5. Within 40 seconds: Close and open the driver’s door twice, then
6. Close the driver’s door, then

7. Insert the new key into the ignition and turn the ignition on then off, then
8. Remove the new key, then
9. The central locking should now lock then unlock twice.
10. Press the lock and unlock on the remote at the same time for 1.5 seconds
11. Within 3 seconds, press the lock button on the remote for 1 second.
12. The central locking should lock and unlock once.
13. If the central locking locks then unlock twice then the sequence has not been successful. Try again.
14. Open the driver’s door to complete the sequence.

Worked a treat. I now have a key that can open the car with the remote buttons but still not start it.

I then found this to re-programme the immobiliser:

Toyota Yaris 1999-2006 key programming instructions

1. Enter the car and close all of the doors.
2. Simultaneously depress and release both the brake and accelerator pedals.
3. Within five seconds, insert a working pre-programmed key into the ignition cylinder, and turn to the "on" position.
4. Within fifteen seconds of turning the ignition, depress and release the accelerator pedal five times for a primary key
5. Within twenty seconds, depress and release the brake pedal six times for a primary key.
6. Turn the ignition to the "off" position and immediately remove the key.
7. Within ten seconds of removing the key, insert the new key and turn it to the "on" position.
8. Within ten seconds, depress and release the accelerator pedal once. The security light will then flash for 60 seconds and then turn off. When the security light stops flashing the programming should be complete.
9. Start the vehicle to verify that programming was successful.

No one was more surprised than me when this worked. I now have a fully operational key.

Interestingly, I asked the Toyota garage guy about the DIY programming tutorials I had read on the internet and he said it was all rubbish: you had to use their computer system. The system that couldn't programme my brand new key.

Oh This is genius......

Worked a treat for my French built 03 Yaris. Got a key for £38 (including the cut) from eBay, what a saving!!!

I am so grateful for people who have shared this - it worked for me, so chuffed....

Would the same method work on a MkII Yaris? I'm thinking of giving it a shot. Found a key with same code for <£10 on eBay.

• 9 months later...

My daughter has a 2004 Yaris with no central locking but only 1 key, can anyone tell me where to get a key for a spare please as reasonable as possible, don’t mind programming it myself to guide above as long as is possible for savings, thank you 😀

Try Timpsons or an auto locksmith

Yaris GR was launched early 2018, my Father in law took delivery of his in March 18

30 minutes ago, Timdissy said:

Yaris GR was launched early 2018, my Father in law took delivery of his in March 18

The Yaris GRMN was launched early 2018. The Yaris GR Sport was launched in September at the Paris motor show.