Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris Hybrid Delivery Any Q's?

MarcoPolo007uk

I thought you'd like that one!

It seems that Apple only fixes problems with the iPhone 4. The main problem is that Apple is not willing to support the normal bluetooth standard with the iPhone. You could do much more with other bluetooth mobile phones than you can do with the iPhone (e.g. send addresses and more).

I don't believe that Steve will change his opinion but we will see. While there's life there's hope ;)

Completely off topic I know, but, if they fix the proximity sensor issue I will be happy, it was nearly fixed with 4.02 but not fully. I was fed up with changeing ring tones and trying to dial numbers when the phone was against my ear :lol:

bluetooth on iPhone is pants, you cant do half the things you could on any other phone, they just want to restrict it so you cant swap music and ringtones and the like, I wonder why? Oh that's right, you have to buy it off Apple :rolleyes:

Kingo :thumbsup:

Completely off topic I know, but, if they fix the proximity sensor issue I will be happy, it was nearly fixed with 4.02 but not fully. I was fed up with changeing ring tones and trying to dial numbers when the phone was against my ear :lol:

Bluetooth on iphone is pants, you cant do half the things you could on any other phone, they just want to restrict it so you cant swap music and ringtones and the like, I wonder why? Oh that's right, you have to buy it off Apple :rolleyes:

It's not only the iPhone that's problematic. I have a Nokia N95 and that only pairs with my HSD, the phonebook transfer doesn't work, nor does the phone transfer the ring into the car - you have to hear / feel the phone ring and then answer on the car. I'm guessing it's because it's a Symbian based phone and it's well documented that the bluetooth on all the Nokia N series phones is flakey to say the least, especially when it comes to hooking them up to car hands free systems (the Audi, BMW and Land Rover forums are full of disgruntled owners).

A little bit off subject, but something that may interest people considering the Sat Nav option, don't believe the brochure - it's completely wrong from a multimedia perspective! First of all, you lose the USB connection, there is no DVD compatibility, iPod integration is a joke and as for iPod video compatibility, well you can forget that as well!

My dealer has been very good in doing everything to try to remedy my numerous complaints regarding the above and the brochure. They have fitted a USB / Auxiliary socket for me FOC, but anything I plug into it (iPod or flash drive) shows up as a CD auto-changer and won't allow me to select albums or tracks from a list, only skip through them one at a time - really annoying!

It would appear that Toyota Technical Support knew about this problem as they immediately acknowledged that the brochure was wrong and that the unit could / would never perform what was being claimed. The worry is that the brochure is still on the shelves making the same claims over a month after Toyota acknowledged there was a problem (is there a trading standards issue here?).

I was hoping to use MP3 DVDs instead of CDs, but the unit won't recognise DVDs even though it does know there's a disk in the drive. I would think a software / firmware upgrade to the Sat Nav may fix most of the problems, but I'm not holding my breath! That said, I'm not sure how any software upgrade could be applied, so maybe I'm just stuck with an unsatisfactory compromise along anyone else who has forked out for the Sat Nav option.

Anyway, As I said, it's off subject, but you guys needed to know so you can go into any purchase with your eyes open - if anyone knows anything different, I'd love to know.

Cheers, D.

Bluetooth on iphone is pants, you cant do half the things you could on any other phone, they just want to restrict it so you cant swap music and ringtones and the like, I wonder why? Oh that's right, you have to buy it off Apple :rolleyes:

It's not only the iPhone that's problematic. I have a Nokia N95 and that only pairs with my HSD, the phonebook transfer doesn't work, nor does the phone transfer the ring into the car - you have to hear / feel the phone ring and then answer on the car. I'm guessing it's because it's a Symbian based phone and it's well documented that the bluetooth on all the Nokia N series phones is flakey to say the least, especially when it comes to hooking them up to car hands free systems (the Audi, BMW and Land Rover forums are full of disgruntled owners).

A little bit off subject, but something that may interest people considering the Sat Nav option, don't believe the brochure - it's completely wrong from a multimedia perspective! First of all, you lose the USB connection, there is no DVD compatibility, iPod integration is a joke and as for iPod video compatibility, well you can forget that as well!

My dealer has been very good in doing everything to try to remedy my numerous complaints regarding the above and the brochure. They have fitted a USB / Auxiliary socket for me FOC, but anything I plug into it (iPod or flash drive) shows up as a CD auto-changer and won't allow me to select albums or tracks from a list, only skip through them one at a time - really annoying!

It would appear that Toyota Technical Support knew about this problem as they immediately acknowledged that the brochure was wrong and that the unit could / would never perform what was being claimed. The worry is that the brochure is still on the shelves making the same claims over a month after Toyota acknowledged there was a problem (is there a trading standards issue here?).

I was hoping to use MP3 DVDs instead of CDs, but the unit won't recognise DVDs even though it does know there's a disk in the drive. I would think a software / firmware upgrade to the Sat Nav may fix most of the problems, but I'm not holding my breath! That said, I'm not sure how any software upgrade could be applied, so maybe I'm just stuck with an unsatisfactory compromise along anyone else who has forked out for the Sat Nav option.

Anyway, As I said, it's off subject, but you guys needed to know so you can go into any purchase with you eyes open - if anyone knows anything different, I'd love to know.

Cheers, D.

That's shocking. I had a demo T-Spirit for a day and I'm sure there was a USB socket in the upper glovebox?

My assumption about DVDs was it would play standard video DVDs - of course, not when the car was going along...

My new Auris will be with me in less than two weeks - should be interesting when I find there are things missing.

I've just downloaded the current eBrochure and it (still) says:

Navigation pack (T Spirit only)

Incorporating the satellite navigation and the Toyota rear parking aid. Great navigation, comprehensive multi-media functionality and easy operation. — Touch screen controls and voice activated destination input

— Full map coverage of Western Europe and multi-language choices — In-car multi-media including an MP3/WMA CD player, DVD, AM/FM

radio, iPod® video compatibility and both AUX and USB terminals — Bluetooth® technology for mobile phone integration & data links,

audio streaming to play music, podcasts, etc. through the vehicle’s

audio system and voice recognition — Rear-view camera compatibility

It's not only the iPhone that's problematic. I have a Nokia N95 and that only pairs with my HSD, the phonebook transfer doesn't work, nor does the phone transfer the ring into the car - you have to hear / feel the phone ring and then answer on the car. I'm guessing it's because it's a Symbian based phone and it's well documented that the Bluetooth on all the Nokia N series phones is flakey to say the least, especially when it comes to hooking them up to car hands free systems (the Audi, BMW and Land Rover forums are full of disgruntled owners).

Anyway, As I said, it's off subject, but you guys needed to know so you can go into any purchase with you eyes open - if anyone knows anything different, I'd love to know.

Cheers, D.

Have no SatNav but will check USB tomorrow for playing MP3.

Cheers, D.

That's shocking. I had a demo T-Spirit for a day and I'm sure there was a USB socket in the upper glovebox?

My assumption about DVDs was it would play standard video DVDs - of course, not when the car was going along...

My new Auris will be with me in less than two weeks - should be interesting when I find there are things missing.

Incorporating the satellite navigation and the Toyota rear parking aid. Great navigation, comprehensive multi-media functionality and easy operation. — Touch screen controls and voice activated destination input

— Full map coverage of Western Europe and multi-language choices — In-car multi-media including an MP3/WMA CD player, DVD, AM/FM

radio, iPod® video compatibility and both AUX and USB terminals — Bluetooth® technology for mobile phone integration & data links,

It only affects the Sat Nav option. We checked the showroom car w/o Sat Nav and the USB connection was there, but missing on the demo car with the Sat Nav installed. Initially, Technical Support said that it was impossible to connect a USB socket to the Sat Nav head unit but they worked something out - doesn't work properly, but at least it will play music from a flash drive.

I must confess I haven't tried playing an ordinary DVD, but I doubt if it will work as there is absolutely no mention of DVD disks in the manual - yes I even resorted to the manual... D.

Cheers, D.

It only affects the Sat Nav option. We checked the showroom car w/o Sat Nav and the USB connection was there, but missing on the demo car with the Sat Nav installed. Initially, Technical Support said that it was impossible to connect a USB socket to the Sat Nav head unit but they worked something out - doesn't work properly, but at least it will play music from a flash drive.

I must confess I haven't tried playing an ordinary DVD, but I doubt if it will work as there is absolutely no mention of DVD disks in the manual - yes I even resorted to the manual... D.

I'm still confused about the lack of USB and Aux-In sockets when the Sat Nav Pack is added to the T-Spirit Auris HSD. I went down to my dealer today and got them to confirm my vehicle would come with both sockets fitted, they said yes it would. But the demo car was out and the one in the show room didn't have the Sat Nav Pack for me to confirm with my own eyes.

Is your Sat Nav like this one? If so, what does the Aux option, on the CD button, do?!?

post-59912-128423290737_thumb.png

The worry is that the brochure is still on the shelves making the same claims over a month after Toyota acknowledged there was a problem (is there a trading standards issue here?).

Anything in a brochure is covered by the E & OE disclaimer at the end. Errors and omissions excluded. Specs change all the time so you wouldnt be able to go anywhere with that I doubt

I don't think this is restricted to iphones or Nokia N series, I think it is a smartphone issue, any problems we have had seem to be with any sort of smartphone

Anything in a brochure is covered by the E & OE disclaimer at the end. Errors and omissions excluded. Specs change all the time so you wouldnt be able to go anywhere with that I doubt

You're correct but a supplier also has a responsibility to correct that error or omission in a timely fashion. The Auris HSD eBrochure, available for download today, still has the same description of the Sat Nav Pack as it did when first posted some months ago.

Yep I hear you, there is no reason why a download brochure cannot be ammended, printed brochures are a different subject as they take months to print/distribute etc.

Yep I hear you, there is no reason why a download brochure cannot be ammended, printed brochures are a different subject as they take months to print/distribute etc.

No problem. I'm still waiting for a definitive statement about the USB and Aux-In sockets from Toyota. I'm sure I saw them in the demo car which had the Sat Nav Pack... At this rate I'll be collecting my Auris HSD so will find out for sure!

Cheers, D.

I'm still confused about the lack of USB and Aux-In sockets when the Sat Nav Pack is added to the T-Spirit Auris HSD. I went down to my dealer today and got them to confirm my vehicle would come with both sockets fitted, they said yes it would. But the demo car was out and the one in the show room didn't have the Sat Nav Pack for me to confirm with my own eyes.

Is your Sat Nav like this one? If so, what does the Aux option, on the CD button, do?!?

post-59912-128423290737_thumb.png

Sorry, been away for a bit, but yes, that's the Sat Nav I have. The CD / Aux button switches between CD and Aux. In my case, prior to having the USB fitted, this switched between playing CDs and the output from the headphone socket of my iPod. After the USB was fitted, it allows me to plug an iPod in via the data bus on the bottom, but, it attaches to the car as a CD multichanger and you can only play the playlists shown on the screen. When you plug a MP3 flash drive into the USB, it also appears as a CD multichanger with 6 discs - you have to jump through the "discs" using the up & down buttons on the steering wheel as the unit won't list the folders to allow you to scroll through them properly (as I was expecting).

On Kingo's comments, I accept the E&OE clause is a "get out of gaol free card" for any supplier, but this is a pretty major drop off! A large part of the goodies on offer with the Sat Nav unit is its multimedia capability, most of which is missing. I realise there is no comeback on this and as I said, the dealer has been very helpful in trying to fix things, but two months on and being aware of the problem, Toyota have made no amendment to the eBrochure so is still misleading its potential customers - not really on, unless the Sat Nav's going to be fixed (along with a retrofit). D.

Sorry, been away for a bit, but yes, that's the Sat Nav I have. The CD / Aux button switches between CD and Aux. In my case, prior to having the USB fitted, this switched between playing CDs and the output from the headphone socket of my iPod. After the USB was fitted, it allows me to plug an iPod in via the data bus on the bottom, but, it attaches to the car as a CD multichanger and you can only play the playlists shown on the screen. When you plug a MP3 flash drive into the USB, it also appears as a CD multichanger with 6 discs - you have to jump through the "discs" using the up & down buttons on the steering wheel as the unit won't list the folders to allow you to scroll through them properly (as I was expecting).

On Kingo's comments, I accept the E&OE clause is a "get out of gaol free card" for any supplier, but this is a pretty major drop off! A large part of the goodies on offer with the Sat Nav unit is its multimedia capability, most of which is missing. I realise there is no comeback on this and as I said, the dealer has been very helpful in trying to fix things, but two months on and being aware of the problem, Toyota have made no amendment to the eBrochure so is still misleading its potential customers - not really on, unless the Sat Nav's going to be fixed (along with a retrofit). D.

I'm mostly interested in the 5V for charging an iPod - is that there?

Yep, that's the one thing it does do. D

The manual is not very clear about how to do it. I played about with it this morn and got a few numbers in. When the phone is connected, press the button below the DISP and on the audio screen should appear phone or phonebook, move the top right knob from side to side and it will give you the various options as listed in the manual, or turn to the left and you are given the option to 'go back'

I then managed to input 4 numbers by voice and speed, but should have been able to send the numbers by bluetooth but could not get that to work.

I tested it tonight while driving and it works great.

I think the problem is, iPhone is not able to send contacts via bluetooth. My former Nokia E66 could do this. So the only way to manage this is to add every single contact manually.

Also the Audio bluetooth is not as it is described in the book. I managed to pair my iPhone but I still had to choose titles or albums on the phone. The only thing where I could use the Auris Audio is to Start music or to Pause music. But it's not too bad, because I don't need a cable to put in the AUX.

All this is because Steve Jobs built a phone, that isn't able to use all the normal bluetooth standard options. But otherwise, I wouldn't give my iPhone back and so with the Auris HSD and therefore they both have to agree :)

Thank you for your help ;)

Sorry but that is just not true. My first generation iPhone was able to exchange contacts with my old TomTom 910 and that is three years ago. The problem is not with the iPhone at all it is the headunit manufacturers. There are two official standards on how to do the contact exchange, but unfortunately a lot of manufacturers only implement one. <div>My Audi A4 Cabriolet has not problem with contact exchange either. And most relevant to this topic my wives generation 3 Prius most happily syncs the phone book on both my iPhone and her HTC. It works perfects and takes about 30 seconds to do my 700'ish contacts on the phone.

Streaming works just fine as well on the Prius. Only problem is actually with the iPod connection kit which doesn't seem to like to play with anything less than 12 months old. I'm in a dispute with Toyota on that one.</div>

The manual is not very clear about how to do it. I played about with it this morn and got a few numbers in. When the phone is connected, press the button below the DISP and on the audio screen should appear phone or phonebook, move the top right knob from side to side and it will give you the various options as listed in the manual, or turn to the left and you are given the option to 'go back'

I then managed to input 4 numbers by voice and speed, but should have been able to send the numbers by bluetooth but could not get that to work.

I tested it tonight while driving and it works great.

I think the problem is, iPhone is not able to send contacts via bluetooth. My former Nokia E66 could do this. So the only way to manage this is to add every single contact manually.

Also the Audio bluetooth is not as it is described in the book. I managed to pair my iPhone but I still had to choose titles or albums on the phone. The only thing where I could use the Auris Audio is to Start music or to Pause music. But it's not too bad, because I don't need a cable to put in the AUX.

All this is because Steve Jobs built a phone, that isn't able to use all the normal bluetooth standard options. But otherwise, I wouldn't give my iPhone back and so with the Auris HSD and therefore they both have to agree :)

Thank you for your help ;)

Sorry but that is just not true. My first generation iPhone was able to exchange contacts with my old TomTom 910 and that is three years ago. The problem is not with the iPhone at all it is the headunit manufacturers. My Audi A4 Cabriolet has not problem with contact exchange either. And most relevant to this topic my wives generation 3 Prius most happily syncs the phone book on both my iPhone and her HTC. It works perfects and takes about 30 seconds to do my 700'ish contacts on the phone.

Streaming works just fine as well on the Prius. Only problem is actually with the iPod connection kit which doesn't seem to like to play with anything less than 12 months old. I'm in a dispute with Toyota on that one.

Search for Sorry but that is just not true. Search for a map Translate Source: Attribution goes here About Bing Highlights

Bing Highlights Version 1.0.0 (12) Copyright © 2010 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Support Source: Attribution goes here About Bing Highlights

But it's known that Apple doesn't meets the normal bluetooth standard. Sometimes you are lucky, like you with your Prius as well as my wife with her IQ and a Parrot handsfree, sometimes you're not, like me. The iPhone is not able to send addresses via bluetooth like many other mobile phones do, and the handsfree of the Auris Hybrid wants to receive the contacts via bluetooth. It doesn't have a sync-function like my wife's parrot-handsfree and maybe your Prius handsfree.

I added all my contacts manually and now everything works fine.

There was a little problem connecting my iPhone via USB. I had title and everything on the radio but the sound was not so good (noise during playback). Now my iPhone is connected via AUX and the sound is good, but no title and albums on the radio-display.

I think you are missing the point ;-) Apple is adhering to the standard, but not all headset manufacturers implement it. This standard has been in existence since 2004 so there are no excuses. The ability to send an individual address via bluetooth is very different than copying a phone book across bluetooth. Two totally different stacks doing very different things.

On a different note, the iPhone can actually send addresses via bluetooth but hasn't provided the software to do so which again is a different thing. I do it all the time with a tool called bump, very easy to exchange information.

Oops forgot to mention, headset manufacturers can approach it from different angles and use different bluetooth profiles in a phone. They could approach it using:

- Generic Object Exchange Profile which in turn is based on OBEX but OBEX sits in the stack, this can be reused by other profiles

- Object Push Profile -this is what you are talking about and based on OBEX, it supports stuff like put and get. My suspicion is that many headset manufacturers have been naughty and used this for exchange contact objects with their head unit whilst writing their own little bit of looping code around it. Hence it take flipping ages and doesn't work on the iPhone and many other phones. But technically can be used to access any object including copyrighted material.

- Phone Book Access Protocol - this is the true official protocol to be used and fully supported by the iPhone, it gives a device only access to your phone book and nothing else on your phone. It allows two main features, one is the download of your phonebook and the other is when used as just a handsfree kit it will send across on a per case basis the caller id details.

Hope that helps to provide some background.

I think you are missing the point ;-) Apple is adhering to the standard, but not all headset manufacturers implement it. This standard has been in existence since 2004 so there are no excuses. The ability to send an individual address via bluetooth is very different than copying a phone book across bluetooth. Two totally different stacks doing very different things.

On a different note, the iPhone can actually send addresses via bluetooth but hasn't provided the software to do so which again is a different thing. I do it all the time with a tool called bump, very easy to exchange information.

Do you use an iPhone with a "Jailbreak" and "bump"?

No, no jailbreak

So "bump" should work with my iPhone, too. Until now I thought, normal software to send contacts via bluetooth is only from iPhone to another iPhone.

So "bump" also seems to expect another iPhone to bump with. They write, the software must be installed on both phones. How did you manage it with your handsfree?

Sorry Bump is a red herring, it was more the principle in order to exchange singular contacts. Yes it is expected on the other phone as well. Most of the people I know have either an iPhone or an Android phone and it works very well.

But for the car you are stuffed if Toyota has not implemented the Phone Book Access Protocol. It is on their HDD SatNav systems like in the Prius and most Lexus vehicles.

• 2 weeks later...

Re the boot maximiser, as mentioned earlier by ahooks. I looked into the dealer today and he confirmed it will be free, and available sometime in Oct. The model on display in the showroom has now been fitted with the maximiser. certainly meets my needs for getting a few cases into it in Nov.

Yep, that's the one thing it does do. D

OK, so not wishing to bang on about the Sat Nav option and what it can and can't do - I found this and thought it was quite damning, especially as Toyota are still claiming functionality in their e-brochure which their own technical guys say won't work... Interesting comment about data transfer to / from the hard drive though - the HSD doesn't have one! If you want the USB socket, I think you'll have to complain as bitterly as I did and, hopefully, you'll have a dealer as keen to please as mine was.

Question: I’ve got a T-Spirit Auris HSD on order, together with the additional Sat Nav Pack. Please can you confirm that the USB and Aux-In sockets (in the upper glove box) will still be installed and function in this configuration ie T-Spirit with Sat Nav Pack.

Answer: I spoke to a specialist and he told me that while there is an aux-in jack, there is no USB port. It may be worth noting that a USB port could not be used to transfer data (such as mp3s) in or out of the hard disk drive system. However, you’ll still be able to play music in your Auris HSD if you have an iPod - there is an iPod integration kit available.

Source: http://blog.toyota.co.uk/auris-hsd-everything-you-need-to-know-uk

Dave.

It seems the base radio can only take a limited number of names/numbers for the hands-free dialing over bluetooth (I think its 20), so if your phone supports sending single contacts at a time you can save some time uploading them, but with the iPhone I haven't found an app (without jailbreaking) that does it. If you have the Sat Nav stereo I believe you can use the whole address book dump feature (it works to my TomTom Go 910 from the iPhone), as the SatNav has more memory and a screen to help you select the numbers from a large address book once installed.

My biggest bugbear is the fact the 12v power socket in the HSD is down by the handbrake, so any dash mounted device that needs power has to have a long cable trailing around, and something sticking out near where you sit (12v adaptor) that could be knocked quite easily. Using the USB in the glove box for power isn't really an option for a dash mounted device.

I'm going to be using my iPhone 4 with TomTom software (a new release is coming v1.5 which should be good). I'm tempted to GPS receiver/holder from here iPhone holder, depending on price and how nicely the power cable is hidden. Its out in October.