Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Do I Identify How Old My Carina Really Is?

bobbins

I bought a Carina E 1.8 GS in August '97 - R plate. The garage were getting rid of their end of model stock and put air-con, alloys and front fogs on it and badged it as a 'Bel Air' edition.

It has done me well since then (54k on clock - I don't use it a lot) and has rarely needed anything to pass MOT.

Now it's needing a rear exhaust which I'm trying to source myself. There's an online motor factor offering a good deal but the exhaust which looks like mine is listed as fitting TOYOTA CARINA E 1.8 12/1994-1/1996.

Before I put out money for this exhaust, can anyone tell me if it's likely my car was built within this time period and sat around forecourts for a year and a half? Is there a way to identify build date from chassis number or registration?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

if you PM me your vin number ill let you know the production date that the EPC gives

• 3 months later...

Saw a bit off the front wing and take it to a dendrochronologist:) ....

I am not sure but I get the impression someone is not taking this seriously ;) :lol:

• 1 month later...

There was a facelift on these Carinas in 1996

You could still get new Carina Es in 1997 - Avensis which replaced it didn't come out until 98 if i remember correctly.

As ive said there was a facelift on the Carinas in 1996 - and the emissions regulations were updated in 1996 from Euro 1

to Euro 2 - so quite possible the exhaust was changed for the 96 facelift. If you give the VIN no or the reg no to a motor factors

or Toyota dealer - they should be able to establish what exhaust fits your car.

Red diesel