Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Prius Test Drive And High Mpg

Jands

I test drove a 2010 Prius Spirit on Saturday with 18K on the clock (my first Prius experience). I had it for a little over three hours and did a mix of town, A/B roads and motorway driving with an 80% bias towards town driving on my usual routes (mixed terrain including hills). As for driving style, I decided to see just how much mpg I could get without annoying anyone else on the road (keepig up with traffic but sticking to the speed limits), weather was warm and sunny. I kept it in ECO mode most of the time.

At the end of it I was amazed to see I achieved 85.1mpg - damn! I appreciate that it was only a limited test drive (I think I covered about 50 miles) and if I had the car over a longer period my mpg may well drop, but still I have to admit I was impressed. I noticed that around town you could achieve some really good mpg figures...on dual carriage ways and motorways it dropped to something like 60mpg...still very impressive.

I loved the gadgets and the displays. Great styling. The switch between electric and engine is hardly noticable. It corners better than I thought too! The cabin is quiet enough but not a lot of cubby holes, even the door shelfs are tiny!

The interior was better than expected but poor in the following areas:

- rear door trims flexed and felt cheap

- cloth trim is poor (what would it be like after 5 years?), leather (which I had on the test car) was better but not up to the standard of other makes

- carpets were cheap and thin (it definitely needs some decent mats)

- boot wasn't as deep as I expected (even with the batteries)...yes it's got extra storage space underneath but still...

- seat comfort wasn't too great and I couldn't get the headrest to adjust (forgot to mention this to the salesperson afertwards)

- not a lot of adjustment in the steering wheel

I understand that cost savings had to be made due to the expensive tech and weight saving but still...

The poor trim I could live with...not so sure with the size of the boot...anyone else got a prius and two kids under 3?

Anyway, still loved the car and walked back to the showroom afterwards with a smile on my face.

I was worried about the poor trim too as at first it didn't appear to be wearing well. After 26k miles of taxi-ing it is still looking good and wearing well. The wear appears to be on the centre storage box lid and the drivers door trim where I rest my arm. It's not really wear as such more getting ever so slightly grubby, but I do wonder what it'll look like at 100k miles.

Regarding the boot and storage, I'd say it's amazing how much you can actually get into the Prius with a little ingenuity. I've surprised myself a few times. It looks deceivingly small!

85 mpg ?

Blimey im amazed! Ive never got anywhere near that figure on the sort of journey you did.

I was worried about the poor trim too as at first it didn't appear to be wearing well. After 26k miles of taxi-ing it is still looking good and wearing well. The wear appears to be on the centre storage box lid and the drivers door trim where I rest my arm. It's not really wear as such more getting ever so slightly grubby, but I do wonder what it'll look like at 100k miles.

Regarding the boot and storage, I'd say it's amazing how much you can actually get into the Prius with a little ingenuity. I've surprised myself a few times. It looks deceivingly small!

I had a grey cloth BMW that was 13 years old. It weared really well, only problem was it looked dirty and I couldn't get it clean.

True - my wife has a Polo and we've always managed with that.

85 mpg ?

Blimey im amazed! Ive never got anywhere near that figure on the sort of journey you did.

I'm not a hypermiler (I read into it a little though) but there are guys over in the States who regularly get that sort of mpg (70mpg US gallons).

I agree with Grumpie Cabbie, it is amazing how much you can get in the boot and with seats down it takes almost as much as my ex Volvo Estate. I think leather is better than cloth.

The boot isn't as deep but it is a bit longer than your normal hatchback so it can take a few suitcases with ease. It can take 4 adults and luggage on holiday. I like that the floor is level with the rear hatch so it is more like an estate than a hatchback (with the boot lip). Makes getting large and heavy loads in and out easier. The underfloor storage is handy too as are the clips for bungees.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links