Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

A Rav Or Not A Rav Tht Is The Question?

barking mad

Our Rav is now nearly 7 years it only done just over 60k. Alot of things have started to go wrong with it lately. We are now looking at getting another car. Went to Mr T to look at new Rav, quite liked the car but the sales guy totally put me off it.

Been to Nissan liked the X-Trail and have also looked at and liked the Honda C-RV as well.

Original Rav is in for another check tomorrow still intermitant lack of power. Ask the mechanic about which he thought was the best around and his answer was the new Rav.

I am thinking of going to another dealer to take another look at the new Rav, I would need possitive thoughts in my head before I go. Could anyone please answer a few concerns.

Is the 4.3 more reliable than the 4.2?

Have Mr T sorted out alot of the faults that the 4.2 suffered from?

Why is the Rav better that the X-Trail and C-RV?

Any imput guys would be most greatful.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• anchorman

• XT5North

• barking mad

• claresdad

Our Rav is now nearly 7 years it only done just over 60k. Alot of things have started to go wrong with it lately. We are now looking at getting another car. Went to Mr T to look at new Rav, quite liked the car but the sales guy totally put me off it.

Been to Nissan liked the X-Trail and have also looked at and liked the Honda C-RV as well.

Original Rav is in for another check tomorrow still intermitant lack of power. Ask the mechanic about which he thought was the best around and his answer was the new Rav.

I am thinking of going to another dealer to take another look at the new Rav, I would need possitive thoughts in my head before I go. Could anyone please answer a few concerns.

Is the 4.3 more reliable than the 4.2?

Have Mr T sorted out alot of the faults that the 4.2 suffered from?

Why is the Rav better that the X-Trail and C-RV?

Any imput guys would be most greatful.

It would be wrong to say the 4.3s have been trouble free but if you are talking about a brand new 4.3 then things are a little different. The new 4.3 (from 2009 on) benefits from quite a number of modifications and has so far been every bit as good as the brochure claims. It is a better car than a 4.2 in terms of the DMF (so far no reports) and things like the SCVs (no reports). Your 4.2 is probably suffering with SCV or VSV problems.

The Honda CRV is quite a good car but its 4WD system is inferior to the RAV in that it only comes in when the front wheels slip. The X-Trail was notoriously unreliable but more recently went through a revision which may have sorted the niggles out.

I would drive all three but you will find that the RAV is now very nice to drive and can run rings around the others in the snow or the event of skid protection and avoidance. You can't really compare a new 4.3 with a 4.2.

You will know within the first 30 seconds of driving one.

Let us know what your verdict is :thumbsup:

Thanks for the fast reply anchorman:-) It is a new Rav I am looking at. Hopefully our old problems will be sorted tomorrow. Its not Mr T who is looking at the car but a local mech with two Ravs inder his belt, so I hope he will sort out the problem. Thanks for the heads up on the other two models, I didn't know about the X-Trails problems, something worth considering. I will look into that further. I will seek out a new dealer and take a test drive there. The one I went to in Leicester the rep seemed totally bored and did not sell the new Rav at all. Cheers

Don,t forget either that the Xtrail is also due for a change later this year apparently.The CRV has just had a face lift as has the Rav.The new Rav is now one seriouly good motor. Well worth a second look

Regards Tony

I would go back & test drive of the 2010 rav4. My dad just purchased the 2010 facelift model SR Style auto and bloomin heck what an awesome car it is. I have had a few drives in it and I can't believe how different (in a good way) it is to my 2006 Rav4 T180. If I had the cash it would be a no brainer for me to trade up for the new model ;)

I like everything about the RAV apart from the side opening tailgate. When I bought it I didn't do any towing and had no plans to do so -but I now do. It is a nuisance not being able to open the tailgate when hitched up -a top opening one would be so much better. So if you ever think you will tow.....

I like everything about the RAV apart from the side opening tailgate. When I bought it I didn't do any towing and had no plans to do so -but I now do. It is a nuisance not being able to open the tailgate when hitched up -a top opening one would be so much better. So if you ever think you will tow.....

We do tow alot with our 4.2. The door on the 4.2 is alot lower than the 4.3. As a result the towball has to be set quite low to enable you to open the door enev when no caravan is hitched up. So the towball height on the 4.3 would be higher as a result. The side opening door is a pain especially as we have 3 dogs in the back, but we can get them in and out no problem when hitched so it not a big issue with us.

Hi Barking Mad

I have been a long time reader of the forum but I this is my first post. Reason being this is the only thread I thought I had any advice to give as I am not very mechanically minded. My wife has had two Rav4s over the last 4 years, a 4.2 and a 4.3. Both were excellent cars and were great when our first child came along. late last year with a second child on the way we needed more space so we ended up buying a Honda(sorry) CRV 2.2 EX. I must say it is an excellent car and would highly recommend it. The main reason for changing from the Rav was the additional space, however I am sure when the new Rav (4.4) comes along if it has more space and a lift up tailgate we would be happy to come back to the Toyota brand.

Sorry if the mention of the Honda CRV has offended anyone but as mentioned we are hoping the next Rav will give us the extra space we need.

P.S It also has a space saver spare wheel!!

It is a very good car and I'm sure owning one wouldn't be a disappointment. The tailgate is a better idea and that shelved boot space with the spacesaver in the bottom. I haven't driven one with the latest revisions but it seems to have a similar engine makeover. Although I don't believe it is as capable in the snow (if we should get it again) you probably should try the new one.

I maybe sounding a bit thick but what is a crossover? Is it a new name for a softroader?

Why is the Rav a crossover yet the X-Trail and C-RV are classed as 4x4's?

We are arranging test drived on all three models over the next two weeks so I will let you know what I think about them all.

I maybe sounding a bit thick but what is a crossover? Is it a new name for a softroader?

Why is the Rav a crossover yet the X-Trail and C-RV are classed as 4x4's?

We are arranging test drived on all three models over the next two weeks so I will let you know what I think about them all.

From what I understand a 'Crossover' is a car that's trying to be a 4X4 i.e. a traditional car platform [monocoque]with some 4X4 features - high ride height, tall interior, some 4WD capability etc. whilst retaining 'car' like driving sensation.

Traditional car on mild steroids

A 'go anywhere' [or not go at all :spiteful:] vehicle like a Landrover has a separate chassis and is built to be a lot more rugged.

The term used tends to depend on who is marketing the vehichle

Just bear in mind that the only vehichle that will truly go anywhere is a hire car :lol:

:thumbsup:

Love my Rav 4years old but not the new one, Hate the back door as my one and no spare wheel when will Toyota get the massage???

We looked at the crv the new rav the vw tiguan and the ford kuga and found that the crv was the the most expensive we also thought that the ravs dash was vey plasic and a bit dated unless you go for the full sat nav the audio setup was a bit cheap looking.

The kuga and the Tiguan was by far the best quality. We decided on the Tiguan after driving them all, i do beleive that long term the Jap cars will be more reliable but the new rav just didn't tick all the boxes and is the only one which didn't have a spare wheel.

It is a very good car and I'm sure owning one wouldn't be a disappointment. The tailgate is a better idea and that shelved boot space with the spacesaver in the bottom. I haven't driven one with the latest revisions but it seems to have a similar engine makeover. Although I don't believe it is as capable in the snow (if we should get it again) you probably should try the new one.

Thanks for the comments following my post Anchorman. I would agree the CRV drives more like a car but I would not want to do any serious off roading in it. The Rav I felt was much more capable when the weather was bad. The CRV was good in the snow this year but maybe not as good as the Rav would have been.

I would add the Rav we had was a 2007 model and new one seems much improved from what I read.

Just to throw this thread completly haywire I went to prelaunch of the Nissan Juke last night.I was mildly impressed, very big on the outside not so big on the inside.I didn,t realise that the 4-wheeldrive version is not Sundsrland built, it is the only version sold in the UK that is built in Japan.

The Tekna version( top spec) is very good but I cannot understand why they,ve not included Bi-xeon lights as with the QQ.The biggest problem they will have is overcoming the build quality problems they had (and there were quite a few) with the QQ.The biggest thing that put me off is that the Diesel version is the Renault 1.5dci which is very old hat nowadays and only does just over 50mpg, my 1.4D4d does alot more than that and it is AWD.

Regards Tony

Hi,

I went from a 2005 RAV4.2 to a Nissan Qashqai, which is a crossover (supposedly the original crossover in fact) and is available in both 2WD and 4WD versions.

One Reason I didn't try a new 2010 RAV4 is that I thought I might like it too much but didn't want to spend as much money as a 2010 model with the spec I would want would cost me.

So went for a top-spec Qashqai with I think just about everything the RAV4 has in terms of kit and gadgets, except a smaller engine and just 2WD

However, if you can run to a 2010 RAV4 then I am sure that it would not disappoint  :thumbsup: 

If someone offered me a straight swap for my 2010 QQ for a 2010 RAV4, I would take it  :D

Interesting point Tony.

It was the Renault engine that stopped me dead looking at the Suzuki Vitara in 2006 when I settled on the RAV. I just couldn't bring myself to do it!!!

Well you,ve surprised me there Don I never knew they put the Renualt engine in the Vitara. I pressume this was the Diesel variant?

Regards Tony

Interesting point Tony.

It was the Renault engine that stopped me dead looking at the Suzuki Vitara in 2006 when I settled on the RAV. I just couldn't bring myself to do it!!!

Each to their own and vive la difference and all that. When I test drove the '10 GV diesel the engine was tight and harsh and did make me wonder after years of very smooth Pug diesels. But as a country boy, the ability to select low ratio or to diff-lock in high ratio was a big plus. Add to that a spare wheel (as one of you in this thread has already said re Toyota, WHEN WILL THEY LISTEN/LEARN?), cruise control, leather upholstery etc for just over £20k on the road and I went for it. Over the 6k miles it has covered the engine has loosened and smoothed out more than I expected so it doesn't feel so Defenderish and for a heavy lump of car the 40mpg is acceptable. If Mr T had gone on making the 4.2 with the serious issues seen here on the diesel versions fixed there would have been no contest, even a 4.3 if it still had that certain bump on the tailgate, I would not have been tempted to stray. But to go from Dartmoor to Minehead on country roads via South Molton and across Exmoor with an aerosol is not going to happen, nor is paying out a great deal of money then having to resort to losing a part of the boot space, DIY and paying out to buy an extra wheel and tyre.

I appreciate that this is literally crying in the wilderness. The market for a school run 4x4 is far, far larger than catering for my every day story of country folk so Toyota will have made the right commercial decision and I am sure that the current model really is a "stylish urban 4x4 experience". But in a world where grass grows up the middle of the road and the hedgerows are full of granite outcrops I will stick with the trusty 4.2 for as long as possible and the GV if it proves reliable and stay well clear of runflats and aerosol cans!

Mike D

Tony - yes, the 1.9 diesel.

Mike - I had to google 10 GV to know what you were on about!

A couple of things. I looked at the Vitara because I liked the look of it (and still do). I also like the layout inside and the price (£15k ish I seem to remember). I drove the petrol as a diesel wasn't available which was noisy and so was the transmission. I also like the low box but I found out it was the Renault engine at a time when several of my mates were having problems with the Laguna and the same 1.9 ddis engine. These were timing belt, camshaft and turbo problems.

However, that vehicle represents excellent value and if you can run one with no problems it should be a good car. I think the RAV is a better vehicle but with a £7k premium it should be.

Now if the Daihatsu Terios was available with a diesel there would be no contest as that might tempt me away from a RAV next time around. Its a cracking car now but it is a bit underpowered and thirsty.

This has got me thinking about my wish list for the 4.4 Rav

Panoramic glass roof

Space saver spare wheel

HID Headlights

Lift up tailgate

Led Daytime Running Lights

Bigger glove box

More space in the boot and rear seats

Any other thoughts from anyone else, you never know Toyota may be listening!!

This has got me thinking about my wish list for the 4.4 Rav

Panoramic glass roof  - CHECK!

Space saver spare wheel - CHECK!

HID Headlights - CHECK!

Lift up tailgate - CHECK!

Led Daytime Running Lights

Bigger glove box - CHECK! (Cooled as well)

More space in the boot and rear seats

Any other thoughts from anyone else, you never know Toyota may be listening!!

Well those are the ones I got when I went from RAV4 to Qashqai  :thumbsup:

PS - I bought my RAV4.2 after driving the Suzuki Grand Vitara. Like Anchorman, really liked the looks of the GV, but thought the 1.9D was a bit of a dog of an engine (and now got a Renault 1.5D in my QQ!)

We're planning on looking at a new 4x4'ish vehicle these days. Our old 4.2 diesel is getting a bit troublesome, and a bit small for us. The plan is to get a replacement in jan-feb next year... So we've got lots of time to look

Has anyone looked at the Mitsubishi Outlander as an alternative? I'd prefer to like the 2010 RAV4 due to the nice new design, but it seems a bit small compared to the competitors.

We're planning on looking at a new 4x4'ish vehicle these days. Our old 4.2 diesel is getting a bit troublesome, and a bit small for us. The plan is to get a replacement in jan-feb next year... So we've got lots of time to look

Has anyone looked at the Mitsubishi Outlander as an alternative? I'd prefer to like the 2010 RAV4 due to the nice new design, but it seems a bit small compared to the competitors.

Hi St Thicket

It may be worth taking a look at this review. No Outlander but the 4007 is there and I believe it is the same car just made by the french! The CRV comes out well and suits us as I also wanted more space. The Santa Fe gets a good review as well.

As AM said earlier in the thread the Rav is the best in the snow I think.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/grouptests/247495/new_honda_crv_vs_rivals.html##ixzz0eVl3CVGM

The Mitzi version has a VW engine and the Pug and the Cit have had French involvement - nuff said. It has to be a RAV or a CRV. I would look at the Hyundai or Kia before the Outlander.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links