Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help

dave5282

Hi..

Problem or not, I just took my front wheels off in lunch hour to try and stop woble by rotating them (bad balanced one to back, good to front)

ANYWAY THERE IS A SPLIT pin ON THE CENTRAL BAR WHICH COMES OUT OF THE HUB WHICH APARENTLY HOLDS A STAR SHAPE WASHER IN PLACE BOTH PIN AND WASHER ARE LOOSE, EVERYTHING ELSE IS SOLID. WHAT ARE THEY AND WHAT SHOULD THEY BE LIKE.

THE OTHER SIDE IS TIGHT-IM GUESSING THESE SHOULD BE TOO

PLEASE HELP!!

If I reading this right.

You are looking at the keeper pin for the front bearings. The star washer if removed will have a big nut under it. Behind that nut will be a washer and behind that is the bearings.

It sounds like they are loose. If so the front wheel my fall off as the big nut backs off the bearing will be allowed to slide out of place. Once the bearing has slid out of place.... the wheel may do as it wishes.

The fact that the wheel wobbles is a Good sign the bearings are about gone. Do you see any grease like stuff behind the star washer?

If yes, I think I'm right and the car should not be driven UNTIL the nut is retightened correctly and a new keeper pin is in place.

But the bearings and the races may be beyond repair.

Sorry, Hope I'm wrong....but if i'm right it's only a matter of time till the wheel falls off while you are driving.

hey MyV6Flys

I think that was the scariest thing I read all week

I have this slight shudder, now I am afraid that my wheels will

go flying off

LOL :lol:

The reason I asked was I had the bearings examined 1 week ago National Tyres put it all back together...for some reason I did not trust them!!!

anyway, there is absolutelly no play in the entire wheel and the wobble and vibration have totally gone!! (When I moved the tire which had a bad balance to the rear)

Took the car to a garage after this, they said its fine, its just the washer thats loose which it perfectly normal!! :thumbsup:

hey MyV6Flys

I think that was the scariest thing I read all week

I have this slight shudder, now I am afraid that my wheels will

go flying off

LOL :lol:

PS not to be funny, but I was asking for help..not mickey taking

I admit Iam far away from being a mechanic, I wanted an answer to a small question regarding a washer after receiving my car car back from a garage I have no faith in!!!!

My life is stressfull enough at the mo thanks!

PS myv6flys, sincere thanks to you for your help. Fortunatelly the nut is to the required torque and my wheel wobble was cured by swapping the wheels, and having the offending one balanced somewhere else

dont worry mate, the split pin is there to stop your axle nut undoing itself, you would have pulled over long before the nut had undone itself that far, the star shaped washer is just there to protect the nut flanges.

If you have wheel wobble when driving it is wheel balance. You didnt post here sayign what the actual problem was ??

MyV6Flys - you should post more carefully imo. :thumbsup:

Humm.....

Well, as I said from what I read from the info gaven, that is what I thought was going on..

If I was right and did not say any thing... imo it would be worse than not saying anything. Someone could get hurt a lot and others on the road around them as well.

I did not set out to upset anyone, I did explain what I thought was happening and why. If the owner did not find the things as I expalined them, I thought they could disregard my post..

I read the wheel wobble as more than bad balance of tires, I thought it was moving back and forth...maybe it's a lauange thing... as we don't say the same words for things and I guess we also assign different meanings to the same words. trunk/boot emergency brake/your name....

MyV6Flys. :P

I think I just created it :!Removed!: :lol::lol: ???

(Dude, I feel I have suitably embarrsed myself :unsure: )

LOL :D

well dave

at least you know that you brightened up my day  :D

I this should be the joke forum

Glad some good came of :thumbsup: .

But dont forget... my wheels are not going to fall off, I was right to check it better safe than sorry!, It is all correct and the washer can be loose to certain extent, the vibration has now gone with wheel balancing!!!!! I just wanted to be certain so I can learn about my car and have confidence in my car!! so all in all It wasnt that much of a daft question!!

IMHO

Cheers Unity Jon, for your help, got the wheel balanced at a different place and all is sorted!