Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just Got T-Sport 2 Weeks Ago With Problems!

GazzyG

Got this t-sport'53 reg 2 weeks ago now and I'm getting the above warning lights! I got the car from a dealer who picks cars up and puts 12 months m.o.t. on them then sells them on so he did'nt know much about it! Anyway after a day or so the lights came on and stayed on. I got a mechanic I know to check the errors and he got these - 'p071 system to lean bank 1' which Is the oxygen sensor He tells me. 'P1346 variable valve timing system/camshaft position sensor faults'. He cleared the errors off and I drove down the road then they came back on again. He checked the errors again and was only getting 'p071 system to lean bank 1' error this time! He clearned the error again (which has come on again now)So, I'm going back in afew days to see what errors he gets then. If it's just the 'p071' error I will get a new oxygen sensor fitted.

I really like the car. Hope I have not made a mistake buying it!

I was hoping you guys could give me some advice about the error's?

Cheers...

try see what happens with the new sensor, these corollas are usually bulletproof but obviously with used cars somethings will go wrong. did you buy the car with a full history etc?

try see what happens with the new sensor, these corollas are usually bulletproof but obviously with used cars somethings will go wrong. did you buy the car with a full history etc?

Did not have full service history! I've got the last 3 m.o.t.'s that's about it besides Corolla manual. It has done 74k and cost me £2995 with 12 months m.o.t. and 6 months tax.

I previously had a civic and yeah, I thought toyota's were bulletproof and I'd have a really great car which was fairly cheap!

• 2 weeks later...

Got the Oxygen sensor replaced the other day as well as getting oil leak fixed from the crankshaft front oil seal which had been dripping on the auxillary belt which was replaced too!

After getting engine warning light knocked off error still the same when warning lights come back on - 'P071 SYSTEM TO LEAN BANK 1'.

Time to take to Toyota to check? Any Idea's?

A lot of people are suggesting that the P0171 code is not always the O2 sensor but could be to do with a dirty MAF sensor (black sensor that plugs into your air box).

There's a few posts knocking around on cleaning these so if you havent done so you might want to have a go with a cotton bud and some carburettor cleaner, should only take you 15 mins to do it. Straighten your wheels and reset the ECU when your done.

Also check for air leaks after the maf, you can do that by spraying your carburetter cleaner around the air intake piping with your engine running - just not directly into your intake! If the engine hesitates then you found a hole. You could also just feel around or listen for whistling.

By the way, do our T sports have two O2 sensors, one before and one after the Cat ? some of the US corolla wiring diagrams suggest that we do. If we do, hopefully the right one was replaced!.

if its sayin system too lean i think its ur air flow meter(maf) sending too much air into engine causing it to run lean you can try cleaning it out but doesnt all ways work and need a one ill look up ur code tomorrow when back at work and yes you have two oxy sensors

Cheers for the advice about the 'maf sensor'! I will check that as soon as possible.

Hey 'leepulsar' when you said I will check the code in work tomorrow you don't work for toyota do you? (Just curious as what they would come up with for that code P071).

Had the front 'oxygen sensor' replaced as that's the main one. The mechanic who did It said they don't sell the back ones so I guess Toyota have to replace those?

Thanks again...

sorry didnt go into work today so ill check monday and yes i work for toyota and when u replaced the oxy sensor did u put a toyota one back on or a aftermarket one ?cos i get loads of them coming back wit light on after having a after market ones fitted ?

Not sure which make the oxy sensor was could be a Toyota one it cost £75-£80.

I do think that the problem is the 'maf sensor though after trawling through the internet looking at the comments from other user who have had the same problem!

Thanks alot...

i have the same problem since i got this supercharger+intercooler installed. too much air they say. i guess i can solve the problem with a piggyback and get the right amount of air.

checked ur code out today as long as ur oxy sensor before the cat is alright and no air leaks looks like it is ur air flow meter (maf)

Mass Air Flow meter.

You will probably need to clean it off with degreaser, there are only two screws holding it down so you shouldn't have any trouble. :thumbsup:

checked ur code out today as long as ur oxy sensor before the cat is alright and no air leaks looks like it is ur air flow meter (maf)

Cleaned the 'maf sensors' today with some electrical component cleaner spray. Disconnected the Battery to clear the warning lights. After a bit of driving lights came back on.I got back home and went out again the lights were off again!!! Done a bit more driving and now lights have returned. So, defo the 'maf sensors' maybe I need to clean them a bit more? I could not see the 2nd sensor at the bottom of the circular hole so I just sprayed abit in there.

How much Is the 'maf sensor' to replace at Toyota 'leepulsar'?

Should be easy enough to clean it off yourself with a cloth I don't know why it still isn't working. Do you happen to have a Typhoon? Because they MAF wires often snap when they are fitted, happened to me recently but the car went into limp mode... :huh:

Should be easy enough to clean it off yourself with a cloth I don't know why it still isn't working. Do you happen to have a Typhoon? Because they MAF wires often snap when they are fitted, happened to me recently but the car went into limp mode... :huh:

No Typhoon, I have the original t-sport setup. Was thinking of getting 'Apexi' intake, but I will have to get this 'maf sensor' problem sorted first.

Cheers...

Cleaned the 'maf sensors' today with some electrical component cleaner spray. Disconnected the Battery to clear the warning lights. After a bit of driving lights came back on.I got back home and went out again the lights were off again!!! Done a bit more driving and now lights have returned. So, defo the 'maf sensors' maybe I need to clean them a bit more? I could not see the 2nd sensor at the bottom of the circular hole so I just sprayed abit in there.

How much Is the 'maf sensor' to replace at Toyota 'leepulsar'?

Only one MAF sensor, not sure what else you cleaned lol - plugs into the top of your airbox - two small screws.

Just spraying it wont do much good, spay it then VERY gently wipe it with a cotton bud until all the grime is off. :)

Only one MAF sensor, not sure what else you cleaned lol - plugs into the top of your airbox - two small screws.

Just spraying it wont do much good, spay it then VERY gently wipe it with a cotton bud until all the grime is off. :)

Cheers for that! I thought there were 2 sensors, but I did go off some guide on the internet! (Must have been for different corolla...?)

Yeah, I did spray it and it still looked brownish. I heard they are very sensitive so I did'nt know about wiping with a cotton bud after spraying! (I take it it should be clear then, not a brownish colour? lol!

Thanks alot I will try this tomorrow.

Yes it should be clear/shiny black. You don't want to damage the sensor so be so very careful!

Have cleaned the 'maf sensor' again with lots of spray and cotton buds and cleared the warning lights!

Now, I just have to wait to see if the warning lights return.

Thanks alot guys for all your advice. (£113 is not too bad for a new one! I was expecting more! Cheers 'leepulsar').

Great news!

Glad you are ok with paying £113 for that... :lol: I just can't believe their prices sometimes....

:thumbsup:

The warning lights have returned after 2-3 days of driving. Like I said I cleaned the 'maf sensor' with lots of spray and cotton buds so now It's going into Toyota on 'Wednesday' for them to check it out and maybe I'll get a new 'maf sensor'. I just need this sorting out now! :crybaby:

Got the car back from Toyota today. The errors they got were 'p0171 system to lean. Also Abs code c1201. Diagnosis also showed misfire on cyclinder number 1. Tested coil packs,ok replaced spark plugs with genuine Toyota (had ngk in previously) & misfire dissappeared & lights went off. Road tested & cold start tested all ok.

I cannot believe all my problems were due to having Ngk plugs in! Just goes to show you. Sometimes you are better taking it in to them, than get a mate or local garage to fix it!

So, 'maf sensor' is ok and I had a new Oxygen sensor fitted for nothing! (see previous comments).

Glad its all sorted now! :thumbsup: