Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Road Noise

Buzby393

Hello everyone.

I have just become a member and have recently purchased a 2003 1.8 petrol avensis. I seem to find quite a lot of road noice cominf from the car, it almost seems that the car has no floor.I am thinking it could be the tyres that need changing but not sure as there is plenty of grip on them. Has anyone els had this sort of problem. It also seems to feel quite bouncy when going over bumps or slight imperfections in the road. I have checked the dampers by pressing on each corner of the car and they seem to be ok. Please help if you can, it could be that i have never driven a toyota before, i guess the drive will be different from a mercedes which i have always driven.

Have you checked tyre pressures ?

My toyota can be noisey on different road surfaces, and yes the tyres can attribute to noise levels and has been covered somewhere in the forums.

Read somewhere that auto Avensis are noisier!! Nope, I have no suggestions for a quieter tyre. I find that when I drive over all the 're-patched' road surfaces that road noise seens to vanish.

• 2 weeks later...

My 2005 model is also very noisy on most tarmac roaods. You only have to drive on the new low noise bitumen road surfaces to see the dramatic difference. It is the worst feature of the car and a constant irritation to me. I havee thought about tyre changes but when Autoexpress tested tyres they found that even the lowest noise ones produced only a barely detectable difference in the cabin. There are EC standards for external tyre noise but nothing for internal noise - pity!. When you next change your car, drive it on coubik tarmac at 70mph min. Don't just tool around town - All cars are pretty quite tyre-wise at town speeds.

Hello everyone.

I have just become a member and have recently purchased a 2003 1.8 petrol avensis. I seem to find quite a lot of road noice cominf from the car, it almost seems that the car has no floor.I am thinking it could be the tyres that need changing but not sure as there is plenty of grip on them. Has anyone els had this sort of problem. It also seems to feel quite bouncy when going over bumps or slight imperfections in the road. I have checked the dampers by pressing on each corner of the car and they seem to be ok. Please help if you can, it could be that i have never driven a toyota before, i guess the drive will be different from a mercedes which i have always driven.

Hi Buzby. I too, am driving the same car. I have no complaint over the road noise. You say there is plenty grip, i agree. Do not forget that the road surface that you are travelling over, also comes into the equation. Roads such as motorways and A roads use a lot more stone in their construction for wear attributes, this creates more noise than pure tarmac roads,that make up B roads and side roads. This will make it noisy.I have found the road noise of my Toyota to be the same OR less than my previous cars.

Re: Road noise.

My 1998 Avensis was v. noisy and it sounded like a wheel bearing coming from the back. The rear tyres were worn on the outside so I had the rear end re-tracked and new tyres, big improvement. Changing the tyres would have done it but they would have worn un-evenly again without the track.

Hope this helps Carl

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links