Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Multimode Transmission

camdave

I've tried searching for this topic but without success;

I have a two/three year old Verso on my short list to replace an ageing Mazda Premacy. A number of the available cars have Multimode transmission.

I have seen a number of reports of problems with Toyota's Multimode system and would welcome any comments from members who have experience of these cars.

I have a two/three year old Verso on my short list to replace an ageing Mazda Premacy. A number of the available cars have Multimode transmission.

I have seen a number of reports of problems with Toyota's Multimode system and would welcome any comments from members who have experience of these cars.

We have mmt on the wife's Aygo, after a couple of days to get used to it, there's no problem. She uses the 'E' bit, I use it manually.... Simples :yahoo:

Hi, I'm new on this forum but I'm sure you'll be interested in my experience, we bought a 55 plate Corolla Verso 1.8 VVTi TSpirit multimode in Sep 09 from a Toyota dealer. The test drive was fine, and at first we were pleased. Then we started it up from cold (not cold weather, just overnight), and on driving away it 'kangarood' up the road,whiplash a constant threat, this would improve when the vehicle warmed up, but was always there. The multimode often changes down for you when approaching a junction, so you could push the lever thinking you were changing into 2nd, when actually the multimode had already done it for you! and you ended up in first, at really high revs, (embarrassing), and downright dangerous if you were about to pull out between vehicles. The car went back 6 times to no avail, and they ended up swapping it for a 2.2 D4D manual in March, without any issues at all, credit to them, but to our horror when asked what they would do with the multimode we took back, the salesman said he'd sell it again!! so some poor bugger is probably going through exactly the same story as we did. We love the new manual, diesel version, it's also much quicker, the 1.8 petrol being pretty gutless. Each to their own, but I wouldn't recommend the multimode after the experience we had. Hope this is of some help!!! Scott

From reading this and other forums discussing the merits or otherwise of robotised clutch systems it appears that over time, accounting for normal clutch and gear wear the whole system needs to be recalibrated. This means going through the factory procedure to ensure the correct bite and gear change points are set correctly. It seems that some cars are worse than others but all issues should be solvable with the system calibrated correctly and checked regularly (probably once a year during the annual service).

From reading this and other forums discussing the merits or otherwise of robotised clutch systems it appears that over time, accounting for normal clutch and gear wear the whole system needs to be recalibrated. This means going through the factory procedure to ensure the correct bite and gear change points are set correctly. It seems that some cars are worse than others but all issues should be solvable with the system calibrated correctly and checked regularly (probably once a year during the annual service).

That's what I thought, but that was all carried out by the Toyota trained techs at the Toyota garage, and made not one bit of difference to the cars performance, these guys don't take back cars lightly once you've bought one. Something is inherently wrong with this design, in the future I'm sure they'll get it right and they'll be a joy to drive, but it's not quite there yet!!