Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla Verso 2.2 D4D Fuel Economy

sspridg

Hi all, new on here, I've done a search but can't find anything about expected mpg for the Corolla Verso 2.2 D4D. It's a 2005 55 plate and i'm getting about 35mpg, mostly around the locality. Wonder how this compares to other users?? Hope you can help.....Cheers in advance, Scott.

Hi all, new on here, I've done a search but can't find anything about expected mpg for the Corolla Verso 2.2 D4D. It's a 2005 55 plate and i'm getting about 35mpg, mostly around the locality. Wonder how this compares to other users?? Hope you can help.....Cheers in advance, Scott.

How are you measuring that? If its just off the computer then its very low. If its a real calculation of miles driven vs fuel used then its a bit low.

Two things to check, firstly make sure your tyres are pumped up correctly (36 F/35 R if I recall correctly)& secondly get your EGR valve cleaned out (see recent threads on how to do it). If you can wield a spanner its not difficult & it'll take you 30 minutes & a can of carb cleaner & that will probably improve things no end - especially if you are doing a lot of short journeys. Messy job (wear latex gloves - you'll need several pairs!) but worth doing.

If you can't do it yourself then any competent local garage should be able to do it for you.

Had my D4D Verso since April 08, worst monthly mpg was 35 best has been 50, average over the whole period 45mpg. Usually get between 450 and 550 miles from a full tank depending on journey types. The quoted combined mpg from the spec sheet is around 47. All figures calculated from the odometer and how much fuel I put in rather than the trip computer.

Thanks for your replies, as I thought, pretty low. My calculations were done brim to brim using the trip meter, the car says 37mpg (haha).

I'm goin outside to remove the ERG, I'll let you know the outcome, thanks again!

Here goes, I removed the EGR valve and sure enough it was caked in black soot, bought a can of carb cleaner and gave it a good clean. Really messy and fiddly, 8 pairs of nitrile gloves and one of the kids toothbrushes later it was done. Put it all back togethor again, easy job.

Now the best bit, before I did the job the computer said 37.5 mpg, on starting the engine after the EGR valve was cleaned it said 42.5mpg, and after driving 15 miles combined at average speed of 35mph...............................46.8mpg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!£££££££££££££WhooHoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I filled the car up yesterday so I won't find out what it's actually using for a few weeks, I'll let you know on here.

Thanks Very Much for your help, especially IainM!! :toast::yahoo::thumbsup:

Here goes, I removed the EGR valve and sure enough it was caked in black soot, bought a can of carb cleaner and gave it a good clean. Really messy and fiddly, 8 pairs of nitrile gloves and one of the kids toothbrushes later it was done. Put it all back togethor again, easy job.

Now the best bit, before I did the job the computer said 37.5 mpg, on starting the engine after the EGR valve was cleaned it said 42.5mpg, and after driving 15 miles combined at average speed of 35mph...............................46.8mpg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!£££££££££££££WhooHoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good to see the improvement (hope you bought a new toothbrush for the kid :lol: )

I filled the car up yesterday so I won't find out what it's actually using for a few weeks, I'll let you know on here.

Thanks Very Much for your help, especially IainM!! :toast::yahoo::thumbsup:

Yr welcome mate and well done. :thumbsup:

My EGR was new less than a year ago and while not completely blocked it was bad when I cleaned it out. I am thinking I'm going to be going in there at least every 6 months from now on - more regularly if it never sees a motorway.

An "Italian tune-up" (down the motorway in 3rd or 4th gear at about 4500 RPM) for 5 minutes probably wouldn't do it any harm either. That'll clean the valves up & burn more cack out the turbo.

Just be sure to run it around gently for a few miles to let everything cool down properly afterwards - don't just turn it off & make sure it has plenty of oil in it before you do it.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links