Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

D4D Oil

s burrow

:help:

Just been to Halfords to get a little top up bottle of oil and they say I need 10w 40.

I have just checked my latest service invoice and they used 5w 30.

Who's right or wrong?? is there much difference?

plus i cant find my manual!!

please help

Thanks

Steve

Just been to halfords to get a little top up bottle of oil and they say I need 10w 40.

please help

Thanks

Steve

I have been looking for an engine oil for my 2007 Yaris D4D Zinc. My manual states 5W-30 with ACEA B1 and API CF approvals. I have identified the following, all fully synthetic, oils which meet the requirements (available from Opie oils):

Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 A1 (this one is fully synthetic, the 10W grades are not), Millers XF Longlife C2 5W-30, Fuchs Titan GT1 Pro C-2 5W-30, Motul 8100 Eco-clean 5W-30 ACEA C2. However, you could ask your local Toyota dealer for a 1 litre top up bottle. I would confirm it does actually state 5W-30 on the bottle before you take it away.

You should top up with the same grade of oil your car has been serviced with. The 10W-40 grade of oil you were offered at Halfords is a different viscosity to 5W-30. As far as I am aware, 10W-40 grade oils are the preferred grade for pre 2005 Yaris D4D's.

My 2008 Yaris manual specifies that the oil for diesel engines should meet ACEA B1, API CF-4 or CF.

It then says that API CE or CD are acceptable alternatives.

It doesn't specify a viscocity for diesel engine oil, even though it does for petrol.

As RS4 says, its best to top up with the same type as its been serviced with (although not critical).

My advice would be to make sure the oil has one of the approvals listed above on the can, and if its also a 5w30 then so much the better.....

Its not all down to viscocity these days. I have an Audi diesel and the same oil manufacturers sell three different 5w30 synthetic oils that have different approvals for BMW, Mercedes and VW/Audi. Even though they're the same viscocity of oil, there are other additives that go into it to meet the different specifications of each manufacturer and I have to be careful to pick up only oil that mets the appropriate VW spec.

I use Toyota semi synthetic 5-30W # for my 2003 yaris diesel. As recommended by Toyota. Have done for 3 years. No problems at all.

Last lot was on offer at £12 per 4 litres...

ASDA are selling semi synthetic 5-30W for £8/4 litres..

10W40 will last longer but I'm guessing the protection from cold isn't as good as 5W30;

I find the engine will run smoother from cold with 5W30 but you need to check the levels a lot more often (At least on my '53 plate D4D)

I want to try something like Castrol edge turbo diesel 5W40; I've used it for topping up but not in a full change.

This is just guessing tho' as I don't really understand any of the numbers :P

Just been to halfords to get a little top up bottle of oil and they say I need 10w 40.

please help

Thanks

Steve

I missed a couple of your questions in my original response. On the basis your car is a 2008 D4D, Halfords are wrong in suggesting 10W-40 is the correct grade. You could confirm this by going to your local Toyota service / parts counter. The viscosity is important, so don't mix 10W-40 grade oil with 5W-30 grade oil. My own preference is to top up with exactly the same oil the car has been serviced with. This approach eliminates any problems in relation to the existing engine oil not mixing correctly with the top up oil. I am sure the garage who serviced your car would sell you a top up pack. However, I would still check it has the correct viscosity and approvals on the pack before you take it away. Note that ACEA B5 exceeds the requirements of ACEA B1.

My local TRoyota Dealer - Pinkstones - no longer sell 10-40 . It's all 5-30.

My diesel uses about 1/2 litre oil every 10k miles - 5-30W.

Audi have gone from a 0W-30 to a 5w-30 for their longlife regime oil.

On the 0w-30 oil, I was topping up with 2-3 litres inbetween oil changes, but now on 5w-30 oil, I hardly top up at all - maybe half a litre per year....

What I could never get ,my head around was that at the time I bought the car (and therefore what the owners manual quotes), they used a 0w-30 for the longlife service regime, which was meant to last for up to 2 years or 18000 miles but they specified a 10w-40 for the same cars when the owners chose the fixed 12-month service interval regime.

I can accept that they have a different longlife oil with different additives and detergents to cope with the longlife regime, but don't understand why they specify a "thicker" more viscous oil for cars on fixed 12 months / 10000 mile service regimes....

There are hundreds of "What oil" threads on here, but basically 5w 30 semi synthetic is the usual standard although 10w 40 will be OK. Always use a quality branded oil. There is hardly much difference in "thickness" or vicosity so dont get too hung up on that

Kingo :thumbsup:

Audi have gone from a 0W-30 to a 5w-30 for their longlife regime oil.

On the 0w-30 oil, I was topping up with 2-3 litres inbetween oil changes, but now on 5w-30 oil, I hardly top up at all - maybe half a litre per year....

What I could never get ,my head around was that at the time I bought the car (and therefore what the owners manual quotes), they used a 0w-30 for the longlife service regime, which was meant to last for up to 2 years or 18000 miles but they specified a 10w-40 for the same cars when the owners chose the fixed 12-month service interval regime.

I can accept that they have a different longlife oil with different additives and detergents to cope with the longlife regime, but don't understand why they specify a "thicker" more viscous oil for cars on fixed 12 months / 10000 mile service regimes....

but don't understand why they specify a "thicker" more viscous oil for cars on fixed 12 months / 10000 mile service regimes....

I suspect

1. a 0-30 W oil is more expensive than a 10-40W

and

2. A 0-30 oil can hold more carbon in suspension as it is less viscous than a 10-40. (? is this true?)

I note your argument about detergents : I suspect they work better in a less viscous oil.. Remember old oil which is not changed in time gets thick and leaves deposits of thick gunge...

Good quality 5w 30 semi synthetic is quite capable of running in most modern cars for 12 months/ 10K without any problems at all. Quality oils dont go thick and leave thick gunge if changed when it is supposed to be changed. 10w 40 oils are being used in your example to save money, its cheaper and generally not as good!

Kingo :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke to my local Toyota main dealer today regarding which oil they would service my 07 D4D with. I was told the garage has a Mobil contract and use a semi synthetic grade of 5W-30. However, for top up purposes, customers can buy either a 1 or 5 litre pack of Toyota 5W-30 semi synthetic oil. It is possible to purchase Mobil Super 3000 FE 5W-30 at Halfords, and it it is relatively cheap and has the ACEA B1 approval.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links