Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Heavy Rain Brings A Leak.

tinsnail70

A little amazed after a few weeks of enjoyable and satisfying ownwership to discover a small damp area within the boot, :crybaby: after driving in a heavy down pour with lots of standing water. Having read about leaking Aygos prior to my purchase i was quick to try and trace where the water was entering, hosed the car in every area, windows, panal gaps and underside but no leak!

Unlucky yet lucky at the same time, i will just have to keep an eye on it as i have a years manufactures warranty left.

My thought is that the water entered from below on the nearside, possibly where there is two rubber plugs on the boot floor, anybody had anything like this?

I still love the Aygo but would value the forums thought. ;)

A little amazed after a few weeks of enjoyable and satisfying ownwership to discover a small damp area within the boot, :crybaby: after driving in a heavy down pour with lots of standing water. Having read about leaking Aygos prior to my purchase i was quick to try and trace where the water was entering, hosed the car in every area, windows, panal gaps and underside but no leak!

Unlucky yet lucky at the same time, i will just have to keep an eye on it as i have a years manufactures warranty left.

My thought is that the water entered from below on the nearside, possibly where there is two rubber plugs on the boot floor, anybody had anything like this?

It may be the same problem i had where i found my boot slightly damp in both corners near to the bumper, found it to be the high level brake light. Removed the light (2 screws) and had a look inside and you could actually see where the water had got in and run down into the boot. I removed the awful thin foam seal on the light and fitted a better seal and then refitted the light. I also fitted 2 new screws and the 2 plastic plugs what the brake light fastens into on the roof....Bone dry ever since which is amazing considering the amount of rain we have had in July....Colin

It may be the same problem i had where i found my boot slightly damp in both corners near to the bumper, found it to be the high level brake light. Removed the light (2 screws) and had a look inside and you could actually see where the water had got in and run down into the boot. I removed the awful thin foam seal on the light and fitted a better seal and then refitted the light. I also fitted 2 new screws and the 2 plastic plugs what the brake light fastens into on the roof....Bone dry ever since which is amazing considering the amount of rain we have had in July....Colin

what stuff did you use for the seal? :thumbsup:

The seal i used was the same as the seal that was on the light only a lot thicker, i actually bought it from eBay, if i can find the link i will put it on here...Cheers Colin

This was the stuff, i just trimmed it down to suit and fitted, just make sure you remove all the old sealant before you fit this new one.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Neoprene-rubber-self-adhesive-strip-10mm-x-3mm-x-5m-/170512440172?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_DIY_Materials_Plumbing_MJ&hash=item27b3555b6c

Whereabouts in Essex are u this nail? I'm in Pitsea and so far had no rain to speak of and not yet washed the car as it's only 4 weeks old and just dusty , will prob wash it over the weekend which when I wash cars involves 3 or 4 buckets of water thrown over it to rinse off the shampoo and then leather off including inside doors n tailgate,...

As far as the seal on the high level light goes, think I'll take it off, run some transparent silicone round it and replace of it seems to leak from there.

I'm really puzzled about these leak reports though, unusual for a car produced by Toyota to have a problem like this, I've had 10 Toyota's over the years and never had a moments problems with any...

Where did you get your Aygo from?

• Like 1

Thanks for the hints and tips, i'll shall look a little deeper into it. All was bone dry apart from the boot floor and carpet on the nearside, my sneaky feeling is still those rubber plugs in the boot but what are they there for, must be a reason? :unsure: Its an odd thing now days to have water leaking into the car especially from a Giant as Toyota but i guess its down to platform sharing and cost cutting, we will soon be going back to the days when the AA man saluted their members :yahoo:

No car is perfect but you can be sure the Aygo and other CityBugs are great little cars. :toast:

Whereabouts in Essex are u this nail? I'm in Pitsea and so far had no rain to speak of and not yet washed the car as it's only 4 weeks old and just dusty , will prob wash it over the weekend which when I wash cars involves 3 or 4 buckets of water thrown over it to rinse off the shampoo and then leather off including inside doors n tailgate,...

As far as the seal on the high level light goes, think I'll take it off, run some transparent silicone round it and replace of it seems to leak from there.

I'm really puzzled about these leak reports though, unusual for a car produced by Toyota to have a problem like this, I've had 10 Toyota's over the years and never had a moments problems with any...

Our little Aygo was purchased from a local independent dealer in Southend-on Sea, good value, better trade-in prices and better customer service than the franchise Dealer. I also noted that the one i test drove at the main dealer had a tide mark stain on the head lining at the rear, now that is a worry :huh:

Our little Aygo was purchased from a local independent dealer in Southend-on Sea, good value, better trade-in prices and better customer service than the franchise Dealer. I also noted that the one i test drove at the main dealer had a tide mark stain on the head lining at the rear, now that is a worry :huh:

its the first swimming aygo, looks like i am near 2 of you aygo owners, being only down the a13 lol

its the first swimming aygo, looks like i am near 2 of you aygo owners, being only down the a13 lol

Well if its good enough for a Mazda!...

post-94890-127999755866_thumb.jpg

Well if its good enough for a Mazda!...

and what's the betting that's in the USA .... LOL

Seriously though, I'm wondering out of the thousands of Aygo/C1/107's that have been sold how many actually leak??

I doubt that anyone actually knows, but generally I've been happy with all the Toyota's that I've had over the last 20 odd years, never any problems so I'm hoping that my wife's Aygo isn't going to break that happy state!

When I picked up my 107 they were power hosing everywhere including the underneath. When I got home I found a lot of water in the spare wheel well . The plugs you mention are soft rubber and I am sure the power hose forced water through the edge of the plugs. I checked after heavy rain several times and the well was always dry. On the 107 water spray from the rear wheels is thrown up under the rear plastic bumper and behind the rear light clusters. There is a miserable foam seal where the wiring to the light cluster comes through the car body and this can be a source of water entry into the boot area.

With the Aygo cluster being horizontal it could be the hole for the wiring is lower and thus Aygos are more prone to water entry at these points.

It seems very strange that 107s and C1s do not have the same problems with leaks as the Aygo. I am glad I could not wait for delivery of an Aygo but afer 6months I am now of the opinion that the Toyota MMT box is better than the 2 tronic which does not have easystart which makes manoevering much easier.

It is 30 years since I had a car that leaked. It was a BMW Cabriolet and they could not cure it so in the end they took it back. Very difficult to reject a car at that time but a car that lets in water is not worth owning.