Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mpg To L/km

rodi

Is it possible to change fuel consumption from mpg to l/km. I know you can change the speedometer, but it doesn't change the consumption figures on the screen? Also, is it possible to check how many miles or km left on the tank (its called "range")?

used to be able to do it on my old Avensis T-spirit, have a browse in the handbook, if you can do it, it will be in there somewhere

used to be able to do it on my old Avensis T-spirit, have a browse in the handbook, if you can do it, it will be in there somewhere

I did browsed, but unfortunately I couldn't find anything there ...

I did browsed, but unfortunately I couldn't find anything there ...

phone call to the dealer you bought it from perhaps???

Hi only the Gen 3 will give you what's left in the tank the Gen 2 did not have this feature,and as far as I remember you could change from miles to kilometers on the Gen 2

but I cannot find that feature on the Gen3 but that might be me being stupid.

Is it possible to change fuel consumption from mpg to l/km. I know you can change the speedometer, but it doesn't change the consumption figures on the screen? Also, is it possible to check how many miles or km left on the tank (its called "range")?

No, and no.

Maybe, a ScanGaugeII (Linear Logic home page)would give you all of that information? I've got a SG2, but I've never used the TRIP functions, and therefore I am not sure how well they work.

• 1 month later...

I tried the same on my 09 Yaris, no success. It isn't possible without "under bonnet" adjustments. I just got used to MPG numbers. I know now what each consumption mpg/l figures mean in l/100km.

How do you use the l/100km figure in your day to day driving?

I am used to MPG, so I know that I go approximately 50 miles on a gallon of dino juice. Given that we still use miles for distance in the UK, and awkwardly litres when we fill up with petrol, but I am not sure how useful knowing what my l/100km ratio would be?

I am used to MPG, so I know that I go approximately 50 miles on a gallon of dino juice. Given that we still use miles for distance in the UK, and awkwardly litres when we fill up with petrol, but I am not sure how useful knowing what my l/100km ratio would be?

If someone is happy thinking in terms of litres and kilometres then I can see how useful the l/100km figure would be. Personally I was brought up thinking in terms of mpg but I would prefer to know gallons per mile, or even litres per mile. Or gallons per 1000 miles would be good. I am very numerate so I can convert but it does make comparisions between different fuel consumptions easier.

50 mpg is 20 g/1000 mile

40 mpg is 25 g/1000 mile (I hope otherwise I am going to look pretty stupid!)

So to compare my annual cost I just need to multiply the g/1000 mile by the number of 1000 miles driven and also the average cost per gallon.

Some people will find this easier and more useful.

Personally as I now pay for fuel in litres but still think in distance on the road in miles the best figure for me would be the litres per 100 miles (or litres per 1000 miles)

It tends to show readily that there is a big cost difference between say 8 mpg and 12 mpg for gas guzzlers but little cost difference between 48 and 52 mpg :thumbsup:

It tends to show readily that there is a big cost difference between say 8 mpg and 12 mpg for gas guzzlers but little cost difference between 48 and 52 mpg :thumbsup:

Well you would think so but the difference is 4mpg in both cases.

I find mpg not very useful because fuel is priced and sold in litres, so miles per litre would be great for me. Litres per 100 miles would also be usable.

I agree with Johalareewi comment re buying in litres, lately I have working on miles to the L.

Garage at 07:30 in the morning :)

If someone is happy thinking in terms of litres and kilometres then I can see how useful the l/100km figure would be. Personally I was brought up thinking in terms of mpg but I would prefer to know gallons per mile, or even litres per mile. Or gallons per 1000 miles would be good. I am very numerate so I can convert but it does make comparisions between different fuel consumptions easier.

50 mpg is 20 g/1000 mile

So to compare my annual cost I just need to multiply the g/1000 mile by the number of 1000 miles driven and also the average cost per gallon.

Are a lot of people really that poor at basic maths? :(

Compare 8 MPG and 52 MPG and look at a bigger cost saving that would bring.

50 mpg is 20 g/1000 mile

Are a lot of people really that poor at basic maths? :(

Compare 8 MPG and 52 MPG and look at a bigger cost saving that would bring.

I was trying to be helpful to answer your question about how people would use the figure - won't bother again.

I was trying to be helpful to answer your question about how people would use the figure - won't bother again.

Sadly, you didn't answer my question, you answered the question that you thought I'd asked, not the one that I actually asked. So yes, I am sorry you wasted your time, and I could've been more direct in my previous response.

• 8 years later...

my 2001 prius does 75 mpg with no effort. anyways, this works for all prius models but the way to change the mpg to km/l is if you reset you're car and switch the trip to the ODOMETER. once there, how down the MPG to KM/H button + Power button for 3 seconds. After that drive the car using rapid acceleration and hard braking. This wont affect the car. In about an hour, the car should switch to km/l. To change it back, mirror the steps.

On 8/30/2010 at 8:20 PM, timberwolf said:

l/100 km is a measurement of consumption, which is directly proportional to cost - you know how much a litre of petrol costs. So if you're getting say 5 l/100km, you know it'll cost you 5*(whatever the current price of petrol is) to go 100 km (62 miles), or double that to go 200 km, etc. Or you can use it to work out how far you can go on how much fuel you have in the tank, e.g. I know there's about 9 litres left when the fuel gauge starts flashing/beeping, so using a pessimistic 5.6 l/100km I know I can do another 160 km (100 miles) before really running out (whereas the DTE will go to zero long before that).

Rounding it down to 60 miles makes it easier to calculate. We only went fully metric in Ireland in 2005, and all my previous cars pre-dated that so I'm used to having to convert between miles and kilometres, whereas I've never used gallons for anything else but working out MPG.

None of this really matters much at all.

You know you have an economical car.  Fill the tank and drive it.  When you get low on fuel, fill it up again.

If you really want to know how far you go on a tank, fill it to the brim, and drive until it's empty or until the warning light comes on if you prefer.  Note the distance covered and fill it up again.

Mick.