Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

TVIS 4A-GE 200BHP N/A Project

KPARRIS-JONES

wow, busy day. good work there guys, looking forward to future progress

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KPARRIS-JONES

• 4afte

• AE_92

• dawesy

Thanks, Head is off and so is the Flywheel and mounts etc. All that is left to do tonight is see about removing the crank and once that's done I'm happy.

I have a lot of pictures but I am busy right now so will post them all up later tonight. ;)

Dean is cleaning and polishing everything up so that it can be sent off to my man to have them Powder Coated which I may do rather soon but it depends what the cash flow forecast is.

Keep your eyes peeled and watch this space...

just hurry it up!!! im eager to see.. well kinda not 100% i wana see the lump that gave me many years of top notch driving in bits.... it pains me to see my heartless rolla :crybaby: shes gone to rolla heaven

just hurry it up!!! im eager to see.. well kinda not 100% i wana see the lump that gave me many years of top notch driving in bits.... it pains me to see my heartless rolla :crybaby: shes gone to rolla heaven

Sorry dude but it was her time. :yes: She will be missed, but let me assure you that when I am done, she will also be remembered. :D 200BHP and hopefully a reliable 200BHP at that, it will take a long time to get this done (a matter of years in fact) but you should see some nice work going on soon and bits and pieces coming together.

I noticed a think yet brittle layer of carbon build up on piston 4, but 2 and 3 were pristine and 1 was exactly like my other 4A-GE pistons. I also noted that the spark plugs were very very black ... :eek:

Should have this thing purring with a bit more bite. :D

Thanks again mate. :thumbsup:

Packed up and waiting for tomorrow, which hopefully should bring the crank, rods and pistons and maybe the valves all into the daylight.

All that I need to do is remove the sump and it's co-parts and the oil pump then I am free to whip out the crank after a few checks of the end-float with feeler gauges. :D

Annoyingly, the two bolts holding the water temp sensor and CSI sensor sheered because the aluminium has reacted with the steel. :censor: :censor: :censor: However this is no big deal because I won't need to deal with it any time soon, the tension pulley bracket bolt (auxiliary) also sheered off, and I am annoyed but again not thrown off by it. :(

The valves appear to have quite a bit of grit on them which is only slightly concerning, but overall it seems to be a very healthy engine!

Enough waffling, here are a few pictures:

Intake removed, TVIS revealed :drool: ;

IMG_1300.jpg

Sheered!;

IMG_1302.jpg

Head off;

IMG_1304.jpg

IMG_1305.jpg

IMG_1303.jpg

Flywheel off;

IMG_1306.jpg

IMG_1307.jpg

A few more bits have been done since the last photo but you will get brighter pictures tomorrow. ;)

thats some good progress there, see you managed to get the coolant elbow off then ;)

engine dosnt look bad though, bit grimey but nothing a hot dip wont sort.

Cheers mate, it's covered in a thick grime (about 5mm thick) which we have been chipping off with a chisel, except for the Head as not to damage it.

What solvents should I use to clean the Head? I have a tub of degreaser which I thought would be enough to use on the head but is it safe to pour some into and around the shims and then start scrubbing, or should I remove all the valves first?

I'm going to start having a crack at the crank today providing I get some bolts to hold it onto the engine stand.

:thumbsup:

looking good KP, man that is one dirty engine lol

if I was you I would remove the valve train first but make sure you label everything as they must go back in the same place you took them off

Thanks bud, yeh ok I'll remove the valves first, dw I do keep things very organised. :D

Engine is just caked in kack lol. What should I clean it with though? Degreaser?

I have started on the valves, I1 is out with only the Oil Seal to remove but the rubber just tares off and I cannot get it out. It seems to be stuck in there and I am worried about damaging my valve guide.

I have new Oil Seals anyway, it'd be stupid to refit the old ones, so I don't mind if I damage them.

Thanks.

long nose pliers work some times that or a flat screw driver bent at 90 deg at the tip to hook em off

Ah thanks mate. I have all of the Valves out now but I will do the seals tomorrow. :)

Here are a few more pictures to try and get some interest. :lol: ;

IMG_1311.jpg

Polished and primed the fuel line;

IMG_1312.jpg

Sanded off the "1600", "TOYOTA" next;

IMG_1314.jpg

VSC in action;

IMG_1315.jpg

IMG_1316.jpg

IMG_1317.jpg

Valve Spring checked and cleaned;

IMG_1318.jpg

Valve:

IMG_1321.jpg

Painted the Fuel Line in Hammerite Smooth Dark Blue;

IMG_1322.jpg

IMG_1323.jpg

The Exhaust Valves have a fair bit of Carbon build up which is a little concerning;

IMG_1324.jpg

IMG_1325.jpg

Stripped Head:

IMG_1327.jpg

IMG_1328.jpg

I will remove the Oil Seals tomorrow and hopefully find the engine mounts and get it up on the stand so I can work on the crank.

good work kp, i'd say the exhaust valves always have more carbon on them than the intake valves.

wouldnt worry as the engine is being rebuilt any way so any wear will be removed.

might be worth dropping the head and block down at your local engineers for a hot dip clean, easier than DIY ;)

oh, you beat me to it. +1 for the hot dip!

:thumbsup:

Cheers, I hope it's not too painful to watch! :lol:

good work kp, i'd say the exhaust valves always have more carbon on them than the intake valves.

Thanks mate, I do know the exhaust often have more on them however I wasn't sure if that was too much, the valves on the White Top weren't quite so caked. :unsure:

wouldnt worry as the engine is being rebuilt any way so any wear will be removed.

might be worth dropping the head and block down at your local engineers for a hot dip clean, easier than DIY ;)

I have thought about it, how much do you reckon it will cost to get them dipped once it's all stripped down? Baring in mind that I am on no time scale so I am not too put off of the idea of doing it myself.

oh, you beat me to it. +1 for the hot dip!

lol I will look into it but I cannot be spending anything on this project atm as 1. I don't have any 2. I need to get the White Top going

Should send off some pulleys to get them Powder Coated today. :D

Thanks for all the replies, I will keep this thread updated each night with pictures.

KP

Here's today's main update;

Spent my time working on getting the gearbox painted up and ready for storage down in Turvey, spent roughly 6 hours cleaning, grinding, degreasing and prepping all to get about 30 seconds of painting... :lol:

Warming up my paint lol, been very cold here today:

IMG_1329.jpg

Polishing and degreasing the Gearbox, spent about 6 hours doing this:

IMG_1330.jpg

IMG_1331.jpg

IMG_1332.jpg

The stuff around the drive shafts was untouchable so I simply painted around it and will neaten it up nicely later ;)

Preparing the 'Box:

IMG_1333.jpg

Prep finished and in the first coat of primer:

IMG_1334.jpg

IMG_1335.jpg

Due to the cold weather I will leave an hour between each coat of the Anti-Rust primer, I'll be back out later tonight to do another four coats. Also, due to the weight and awkward shape I will paint the top tonight and when it has all dried off properly I will flip it up and do the underside.

looks good what colour u gonna spray it?

Dark Gloss Blue, same as the fuel line. Ballsy I know but I reckon it will look :thumbsup:

Cheers

Been a slow day today, I have really struggled to wake up and get into gear but I still mounted the Gearbox on the stand and have given it the final coat of primer before paint. Another hour and it will be bone dry, good for me to start with the paint.

I'll post up the main update and pictures tonight as always. Did have the pleasure of taking a look at my third car, Renault Clio Alize which is going to be my daily driver in one year when I can legally drive! :lol:

awesome, looking forward to more pics of the 'box. blue will look the nuts!

Cheers bud, here it is! Two/Three coats thus far and the fourth, fifth and sixth will come later on once these have dried out properly:

On the new Stand:

IMG_1344.jpg

IMG_1345.jpg

Prepped on the Underside;

IMG_1346.jpg

IMG_1348.jpg

First Coat;

IMG_1349.jpg

IMG_1350.jpg

Second/Third Coat;

IMG_1351.jpg

Tell me what you think, I spent too long on this to get no feed-back! :P :laughing:

looks good mate, good idea with mounting to the engine stand :thumbsup:

Thank you mate, makes it so easy to move and paint around, although the safety pin is crud and I can't get it out unless you lift the 'Box slightly....

Will post picture in natural light tomorrow morning. :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links