Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ringing Success For Phone Box Store

Raistlin

EACD6E7167C4BDCD149C554BE35E5.jpg

Residents in a tiny village are fighting back against the decline in rural services by successfully opening a grocery store in a disused phone box.

The "store" in Draughton, North Yorks, has been up and running for two weeks and is operated according to the "honesty box" principle, with residents leaving payment for any goods they take.

The community was left without access to basic items after the post office closed following the retirement of its owners in 2008.

Lewis Cooke, who runs a newsagent in nearby Skipton, continued to deliver newspapers and other items on to the porch of the shop so residents could come and collect their goods.

But after BT made the derelict phone box directly outside the former site of the post office available for just £1 last year it was decided the parish council would buy it and make use of it.

Mr Cooke's wife Anita said: "It is early days yet, we have only been up and running a couple of weeks, but so far we have only had good reports from people using it.

"People can ring us up with their requests and if we have got it will will drop it off at the kiosk the next day with their newspaper.

"It is handy for the elderly who can't always get to the shops easily and we hope it will be especially useful in the winter with the bad weather."

She added: "It is a close-knit community and everybody gets on."

The kiosk has been adapted to include a shelf to hold newspapers and groceries such as jam, milk, tea bags, sandwiches, butter, cheese and biscuits.

Sorry, no witty [?] comments on this one. :(

It is a great idea & better than having it sit there to be vandalised or used as a public [very] toilet :thumbsup:

It is a great idea & better than having it used as a public [very] toilet thumbsup.gif

In England we have indoor loo's wacko.gif

It is a great idea & better than having it used as a public [very] toilet thumbsup.gif

In England we have indoor loo's wacko.gif

Well then, you'll have to be shown how to use them <_< We can send over an Emergency team for a very reasonable rate.

You hear of "Ould Wans" Having fits about Dogs doings in Parks & on Pavements :wacko: I have to laugh, or I'd cry, coz 1/2 the times It's caused by Humans, Not dogs :disgust:

What a strange and interesting land you come from...

You should come & have your knowledge furthered :bookworm: & horizons broadened. :unsure:

Don't be afraid, I will provide protection :ph34r: , after all I know a man who knows a man, and if he isn't available..... I know a man, who knows a man who knows a man :bag::laughing:

I've never been good in third world countries shutup.gif

I've never been good in third world countries shutup.gif

& you say that and you living in one? :rolleyes: Truth is you've never been good. Full stop :lol:

England, nay Surrey is the centre of intelligent life in the entire universe thumbsup.gif

England, nay Surrey is the centre of intelligent life in the entire universe thumbsup.gif

Galileo Galilei is dizzy from spinning in his grave, even as I type <_< :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links