Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Apexi Vs Typhoon

ses6jwg

Hi all.

Thinking about getting an induction kit for my CTS, but stuck between the Typhoon and the Apexi.

As far as I can see, the advantages and disadvantages of each kit are:

Apexi:

+ Better fitment

+ Cheaper

- No straight pipe still uses rubber bend

- Import from Japan

- Slightly smaller cone

K&N

+ Uses a replacement pipe

+ Slightly larger cone

- Some say they're too oily

- MAF wire extension and other fitment issues

I've seen the Typhoon on eBay for £175 brand new, and on Nengun the Apexi 508-T029 NA (correct part number?) is £142.99 including delivery from Japan, hopefully no import issues if marked as gift!

Has anyone had experience of both?

How do they both compare in terms of noise and on the rolling road?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KPARRIS-JONES

• Theorist

• Norfolk n Chance

• phoenixz

The Apex'i filter is superior IMO

Its dry flow and fiberous (same as AEM dryflow another high performance highly regarded filter) not oiled cotton like the K&N which requires cleaning and maintenance where the Apex'i is maintenance free, the Apex'i also has a built in velocity stack at the top of the filter to do some fancy shizzle with the air

However the only thing with the Apex'i filters is that they should be replaced, I cant remember what it is but its something like 50k miles I think, a lot of miles

Another massive filter company, Injen are also making the move from oiled cotton to fibre

I have the typhoon fitted, extended the wires myself, all is good so far

not this old chestnut again.

typhoon only needs cleaning every 100,000 miles dependent on conditions of course,you buy the KnN recharger kit for a tenner..there both great filters . i ended up getting a typhoon coz you can get it next day delivery .apexi used to be about 100quid so it was much cheaper now 140quid .apexi you dont have to ***** about with the wires.typhoon with a polished pipe looks really nice .

How would one extend the MAF wires?

The 4 wires are individually coloured, cut the wires alittle way from the plug, then solder in wire to extend them to correct length

cut em off .solder on some 5A speaker wire .12" is a good length to add.

The K & N will give more performance/sound gains due to the replacement pipe and bigger cone, although it will need the MAF wires extending and even though it states it only needs cleaning every 100k miles this isn't true, they dirt up pretty quickly and soon become black ( after a years use) but cleaning and re-oiling is pretty simple. It is more expensive at £175+ but readily available in silver and red - so If you want maximum power/sound gains and don't mind getting hands on in the engine bay the Typhoon is for you

The Apexi offers better filtration and low maintenance due to the oil free dry cotton design. Still sounds amazing in lift, still improves throttle response but not to the level of the typhoon. Its cheaper than the typhoon but needs ordering from Japan, it will take 2-4 weeks for deliver, which is no problem In my opinion, its worth the wait. Looks very smart too!!

Hope this helps

either one it doesn't really make massive difference really, but i would probably go for the typhoon to be honest (even though i haven't). Extanding the wires isn't really an issue and i am sure you can get instructions somewhere telling you how to do it.

However the only thing with the Apex'i filters is that they should be replaced, I cant remember what it is but its something like 50k miles I think, a lot of miles

A'PEXi is maintenance free ;)

Back when i got mine it was under £100 delivered cool.gif

We still haven't managed a full comparison between the A'PEXi & Typhoon... maybe we need another Dyno Day and select one CTS to run stock, with A'PEXi, with Typhoon... then we would have the ultimate answer...

From having owned the typhoon and now replaced with an Apexi I recommend the Apexi, just a better filter over all.

I do admit that I miss the noise on the typhoon, sounds he'll of a lot better with s great rasp, hopefully replacing the original rubber pipe with a metal 1 will improve the APexi.

Totally up to you at the end of the day, but I'd say APexi :thumbsup:

Thinking of getting the Typhoon myself. Thanks alot for the info about extending the wires!

Seen the Typhoon kit for £165.99 with free postage at 'www.filterpower.co.uk'

If you get an apexi, then get a pipe made up to replace the stock one as those 2 bends it has are a killer. Price wise there isn't much in it these days as the exchange rate is terrible and you do get stung by customs as well, so you probably come in £20 cheaper than a typhoon but 2 weeks late. But as has been stated, if you get a Typhoon and don't extend the wires they WILL snap, and then you have a headache trying to fix it.

I personally am a Typhoon man.

Hmm... the 'killer' bends didn't affect my Dyno reading too much compared to the Typhoon's on the day... altho a direct comparison would be usefull to dtermine if the bends affect anything.

As for customs charges.... mine sailed through with no issues....

Personally i prefer Jap parts for a Jap car ;)

Hmm... the 'killer' bends didn't affect my Dyno reading too much compared to the Typhoon's on the day... altho a direct comparison would be usefull to dtermine if the bends affect anything.

What Air Filter can I buy for cars made in Derby? lol

I'm still unsure of what induction kit I will be buying, I am a fan of the apexi...but not of the stock piping. Regardless of what results people have, I still believe the theory that air travels faster and more efficiently down a straight pipe than a bent pipe.

Two issues I have with the Apexi - will it need the MAF extending if a custom pipe is made??

- will the fixings still work if the pipe is different?

Standard intake tract can be fine, all the best intakes for Honda VTEC motors use the standard intake inc Mugen

What Air Filter can I buy for cars made in Derby? lol

I'm still unsure of what induction kit I will be buying, I am a fan of the apexi...but not of the stock piping. Regardless of what results people have, I still believe the theory that air travels faster and more efficiently down a straight pipe than a bent pipe.

Two issues I have with the Apexi - will it need the MAF extending if a custom pipe is made??

it all depends on what you have made and what material you use. how about making a "typhexi".

That's what is definitely needed at the end of the day. A single car that can be stripped back to stock and then a series of runs all done on the same car using the same machine on the same day, only then will you get anything truly comparable. Starting with the assumption that any 2 cars produce the same power output as standard means everything that comes afterwards is totally wrong.

Well that's great for you isn't it. You ordered yours what? 2 years ago now? Compare that to someone who ordered it more recently and you find that their order from Nengun incurred customs fees.

If you have a custom pipe then you can have it "customised" so that you don't need to extend the MAF wires ;)

Well that's great for you isn't it. You ordered yours what? 2 years ago now? Compare that to someone who ordered it more recently and you find that their order from Nengun incurred customs fees.

That's not to say that every order will incur customs charges.... i know a few people that have imported higher value items from Nengun and had no issues with customs...

Here here, I've had my apexi for about 2 months & didnt get charged customs!!

hmm, interesting question that doesn't seem to have been answered...

"why did those who changed their kits from Typhoon to Apexi, do so?"

was it a power thing? noise problem? maintenance issue?

i'm a bit confused as to why, despite the fact that the Typhoon kit has more advantages, people have spent even more money to get away from it. and why are people complaining about a small wire extension on the Typhoon when others are suggesting getting a custom metal pipe for the Apexi?

so far the only disadvantage to the Typhoon that i can see is a slightly higher cost and requires more maintenance.

Phoenixz

P.S. how hard can it be to clean the filter once a year?

... OMG people are we writing a dissertation on this subject? Just buy which ever one takes your fancy, and be done with this issue!